8-Bit Christmas (2021)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: 8-Bit Christmas (2021)

Tagline: How far would you go to score the ultimate gift?

Genre: Family, Comedy

Director: Michael Dowse

Cast: Neil Patrick Harris, Winslow Fegley, June Diane Raphael, David Cross, Steve Zahn, Jacob Laval, Santino Barnard, Jackson Reid, Chandler Dean, Johnathan'tae Sturgess, Cyrus Arnold

Release: 2021-11-25

Runtime: 98

Plot: In suburban Chicago during the late 1980s, ten-year-old Jake Doyle embarks on a herculean quest to get the latest and greatest video game system for Christmas.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
This looks like it might actually be good! I remember the Christmas that I got my NES, this should bring back some memories.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Chukzombi Chukzombi

Think you might be interested in this one.
i didnt go that crazy for a NES. i mean i asked my parents if i could have one and i got it that christmas with Zelda and my sister wanted Burgertime for some reason. i already had an Atari 2600 i played like crazy and they were still making new games for. so i wouldnt have gone Jingle All The Way 2.0 in order to get one.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We did Nintendo up until the Playstation came out, tried out a 3DO and then went PC/PS mainly. I have memories of stores like Toys R Us breaking street dates but there was enough retail outlets in my area so we could find what we wanted. PS3 was the first time we couldn't get something and had to ebay for a launch model

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We did Nintendo up until the Playstation came out, tried out a 3DO and then went PC/PS mainly. I have memories of stores like Toys R Us breaking street dates but there was enough retail outlets in my area so we could find what we wanted. PS3 was the first time we couldn't get something and had to ebay for a launch model
I kind of forgot about the 3DO. My cousin had one and at the time the games it had were impressive but the game selection was fucking horrible. We played need for speed and some really shitty fighting game. I also remember it was $700. We were poor and it was just mind blowing to us they bought that. It still blows my mind, that was expensive as fuck back then, especially for how shitty of a game lineup it had.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I kind of forgot about the 3DO. My cousin had one and at the time the games it had were impressive but the game selection was fucking horrible. We played need for speed and some really shitty fighting game. I also remember it was $700. We were poor and it was just mind blowing to us they bought that. It still blows my mind, that was expensive as fuck back then, especially for how shitty of a game lineup it had.
I waited till they cancelled 3d0 in 96. Bought a system and fuck load of names cheap as fuck

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was fine. Had some funny moments to it. Mostly a family friendly movie.

Cybsled

I remember when a kid in our school got the NeoGeo for his birthday, along with a game. That system was like $800 and the games were $200 a piece. I remember all the kids at the birthday being all WTF, we couldnt believe his parents were rich enough to splurge on that lol

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
One of the kids I knew had one also. Our parents were friends, so we knew each other through that. He had Bonks Adventure and like 2-3 other games. They weren't characters that I was familiar with, so I didn't really care outside of "Neat. This is expensive."

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
One of the kids I knew had one also. Our parents were friends, so we knew each other through that. He had Bonks Adventure and like 2-3 other games. They weren't characters that I was familiar with, so I didn't really care outside of "Neat. This is expensive."
That would be a TurboGrafx and was around the same as a NES.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

It came out like a year after the Sega Genesis in the US. The big draw was it provided basically identical ports to the SNK arcade games at the time, so the graphics and sound at the time were super nice

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I had the NeoGeo when I was a kid. I think the only games I had were Magician Lord, Metal Slug and World Heroes. I played the SNES way more.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i would never shit on the 2600, a lot of great games and they tried stuff

like for yars revenge, you actually learned how to play the damn game by reading the comic book that it came with

hell, i just re-read this comic for nostalgia and it's pretty good!

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I had the NeoGeo when I was a kid. I think the only games I had were Magician Lord, Metal Slug and World Heroes. I played the SNES way more.
I was super addicted to Street Fighter II style games. I bought a NeoGeo and nearly every fighting game that was released for it. God, I wasted so much money. BUT Samurai Shodown II is the best 2D fighter ever created.

As far as the 80s, I had an Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, and instead of the NES I had opted for the Sega Master System. I honestly don't remember playing it much, I think I was more into my Commodore Amiga at the time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Another odd system was the Atari Jaguar. I only knew one guy that had it, I remember it had a weird huge controller. The best thing he had on it was Tempest. I remember thinking it was really cool back then, I watched a video of it now and lol. The music was dope at least!

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor

I remember bugging my dad to rent a neo-geo from blockbuster for a weekend so that my friends and I could play it during my birthday sleepover and we pretty much just played on the SNES too.

Cybsled

SNES was definitely the king of the early 90s consoles

One birthday I got the super scope - that bazooka looking lightgun setup for the game. Some of those games were hard, though. You actually had to lead your shots on some of the games, like that alien invasion one.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database