9/11/2001 - Where were you when Bush knocked down the towers?

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
8th grade English class, definitely did not comprehend the significance

Grateful for that

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I was in my 10th grade Chemistry class. Now that I think of it, it was still early internet days, so in retrospect I wonder how the news spread so fast. I was born in Brooklyn but had been living in Florida for 6 years at this point. I remember our old ass teacher rolling the 1970s TV that Florida school's could afford out. It was after the first plane hit and at first we just watched it burn. Watching the second plane slam into the tower live was surreal. Watching both towers go down was just... wow. My entire family still lived in New York and New Jersey so pretty much everyone had been to the Towers before and seeing them just vanish was jarring. I don't even really remember being affected by watching the jumpers, just watching these landmarks vanish in a hail of smoke and debris.

Later I find out that my 80 something year old, five foot nothing great grandmother was hauling ass through the city to escape the smoke cloud. Only family member I had who was in the area that day. My mother pulled my brothers and I out of school, after which I must have went home and logged on EQ to see what the world was saying. Hard to believe it was literally half my life ago.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I was sleeping at my ex-gf and her mom phoned to tell her to turn on the tv, she then talked to her mom for like an hour while I had to be quite and pretend I was not there.

I then went home and found out from my roommate that our other roommate was flying to LA that morning from Boston.... Took about 24 hours before he called to tell us he was alive, his flight had left an hour earlier.

It fucked that dude up good. He ended up Wigging out and stayed attached to his gf at the hip. He slept at our house 5 times the whole semester, paid rent like a champ tho, best roommate ever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Ninth grade bio class, Mr. Lott, shitty teacher, lesbian rugby playing daughter year older than me, former Army... saying "we'll get the bastards"

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was working construction at the time, on the tools. I'd gone to the shop that morning to pick up some materials, and not really talked to anyone. The shitbox plumbing van I was driving had a broken radio, so I didn't hear anything on the radio. I got to the jobsite and as soon as I got out a couple framers on the roof were listening to a radio that was turned up pretty loud, and there was some talk about a small plane maybe having hit one of the towers. We didn't think much of it and continued working. At morning coffee break, around 9:00am MST (11 EST), we mostly sat and listened to the radio. It's kind of amazing in retrospect how slow news moved back then compared to now. By that point both towers were already down, but as far as I remember, it was unclear if both towers had been hit at that point, if it was just a Cessna that hit, etc. By lunch time, so around 2pm EST, it had become clear that it was jumbo jets, both towers were down, and it was most likely Bin Laden behind it.

I don't really remember much else of that day in specific. We worked a normal day, and I'd imagine I went home and watched news coverage of it the rest of the evening.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was on a cruise with my family and we were out early to do one of those Americas Cup excursions. Is forgotten my sunglasses on the boat and went back to go grab them. Cleaning lady was in my cabin and had CNN on. Thought it was just a shitty accident until right then the second plane hit.

School must have been really shitty that day, since we were just outside of DC and a ton of students had parents who worked at the Pentagon and apparently the school wasn't letting anyone go home or try to call their parents.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
was at work, I had a part time job at a PC retailer. Despite being a PC store we didn't have a television anywhere, so people would go into the electronics store next door and report back snippets of info.

I remember one older dude who was ex military saying that he might get drafted back up. I asked my mum to record the news for me

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
spanish class, sophomore in high school.
Same. Heard people talking about it between classes, went to spanish and we just watched the news the whole time. One kid got suspended for singing Bodies by drowning pool.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I was 19 years old working construction in Grapevine Texas, which is right near the airport. I was driving the bobcat around when my boss kept signaling me from his truck. So I get out and go over and listen to what's going on and about that time the second plane had hit, I looked up and saw all these planes coming in for a landing and just lost my shit and had a pretty bad breakdown.

My boss was driving us back to our hometown which was about an hour and a half north of Grapevine when these Arab guys cut us off and started shooting us the finger. We followed them into a parking lot and had a pretty heated confrontation, my boss even had his pistol out. I really thought we were going to kill someone that day.

It fucked me up so bad I ended up sleeping for like 2 days straight after that, it seems silly now but I was pretty damn scared.

EDIT: I'd also like to add how weird it was prior to the attacks of 9/11. The radio was pushing that date so hard and I found it really weird because it had never been a big deal before. All of a sudden 9/11 was some sudo-holiday that we would use to be safer people. I remember hearing those commercials and thinking "wtf is this shit?", I still find it odd to this day that it was pushed so hard prior to the attack. I'm in no way a tinfoil hat type person but that is weird.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
EDIT: I'd also like to add how weird it was prior to the attacks of 9/11. The radio was pushing that date so hard and I found it really weird because it had never been a big deal before. All of a sudden 9/11 was some sudo-holiday that we would use to be safer people. I remember hearing those commercials and thinking "wtf is this shit?", I still find it odd to this day that it was pushed so hard prior to the attack. I'm in no way a tinfoil hat type person but that is weird.
What?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I was sitting at my desk working tech support at a chemical company and listening to Howard Stern. They let us go early since the office was near one of bridges connecting NJ to Philly, and some people lived on the other side. With the wide range of reports, people didn't know what was safe and what wasn't. I remember my 9 month pregnant wife crying that night that she wasn't sure she was ready to bring a child into this f'ed up world.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The local alternative station 94.5 kept having commercials and excerpts talking about how 9/11 was fast approaching like it was some big special day that we were going start taking note of going forward. They kept talking about safety and the 9-1-1 system and how we needed to be better prepared.

It was really odd to me even before the attacks because of how hard they were pushing it, every commercial break there seemed to be an advertisement/commercial/insert (Whatever you want to call it) for that day. Even the DJ's would mention it on a lead in to a new song "Don't forget that Monday is 9/11, make sure you attend blah blah blah".

DaSquisha

Molten Core Raider
Was part of an IT team that was sent to Irvine, CA to start the process of closing down an acquired company. Morning of 9/11 was when we were supposed to fly back home. After the news about cancelling flights we tried to get Company jet to come get us...then they close airports.

We had a guy on a flight on decent to LAX when all this started and they diverted his plane to Las Vegas. Since we had no idea when airports would open, and wanting to get back home we decided to road trip to Vegas to pick him up and head home. Five guys in our rental Mazda MPV head out to Vegas..

We get to Vegas the evening of 9/11 and the only hotel with space for us in the Fitzgerald. Tallest fucking hotel with a huge 'F' target on top of it. We eat, then hit Little Darlings strip club. Wake up next morning and road trip it Vegas to Omaha with 6 guys in a MPV.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The local alternative station 94.5 kept having commercials and excerpts talking about how 9/11 was fast approaching like it was some big special day that we were going start taking note of going forward. They kept talking about safety and the 9-1-1 system and how we needed to be better prepared.

It was really odd to me even before the attacks because of how hard they were pushing it, every commercial break there seemed to be an advertisement/commercial/insert (Whatever you want to call it) for that day. Even the DJ's would mention it on a lead in to a new song "Don't forget that Monday is 9/11, make sure you attend blah blah blah".
maybe it was some radio event. like maybe some of the DJs were going to meet up and have a hot dog eating contest or something. i dont even anything else that would be.
might as well mention this album cover while we are tinfoiling here.

blastcd.jpg

The Coup Cover Art

Vinen

God is dead
Same. Heard people talking about it between classes, went to spanish and we just watched the news the whole time. One kid got suspended for singing Bodies by drowning pool.

Weird. I guess it was bound to happen.
I walked into my Spanish class only to see the teacher crying. She just pointed at the TV.

A few classes were shuffled in the library where my aforementioned posts comment was observed.
About that time is when the second plane hit.

My High School was just down the road from an Airforce Base so the next few days were an utter disaster getting into school. The day after my kick-ass Science teacher (want to say some form of Chem... forget) was in front of me. We just got out of the car and chatted for 30 minutes since they only allowed blocks of a car through in a row to get inspected. This backed up a main-road which was pretty LOL.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Was at home, in between jobs. Left Nevrax prior, was waiting to hear about an internet startup. Loafing around in bathrobe, looking at internet stuff.

Mail pops, "apparently, there's a fire in the twin towers, CNN is live". So, why not? Turn on CNN, see the fire with "accident at WT" title... and the second jet crashes in the other tower. Didn't go back to my browser much for a couple hours...

It's one of those defining moments that is completely impossible to describe to people who will be born after, or were too young to remember it.