Age of Empires II HD

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I forget which Rise of Nations I played but I wasn't too fond of it.

I never got super competitive with AoE games but me and the clan I used to play with had great times doing 2v2 and 3v3s against each other. Like someone else said in this thread, we tended to play it more like a real-time Civ with epic cities/armies and diplomacy etc instead of just trying to cheese/rush the other guys out asap. Rushing in any rts has always been boring to me so I can't bring myself to do it repeatedly just to be considered "good".

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I forget which Rise of Nations I played but I wasn't too fond of it.

I never got super competitive with AoE games but me and the clan I used to play with had great times doing 2v2 and 3v3s against each other. Like someone else said in this thread, we tended to play it more like a real-time Civ with epic cities/armies and diplomacy etc instead of just trying to cheese/rush the other guys out asap. Rushing in any rts has always been boring to me so I can't bring myself to do it repeatedly just to be considered "good".
LFM BGH NoRush15

I think AOE2 is the only AOE I ever played a lot of. I tried the later ones and never liked any of it. There was a game in the same genre but with magic/gods that I thought was the best of the genre. Cant remember the name. Age of Mythology maybe?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Age of Wonders was fun but none of that style of game has been able to do it for me like HoMM3 did. Everything since HoMM3 just hasn't felt quite the same, progressively getting worse and less fun. Will still probably end up getting AoW III tho, thanks for that link!

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Age of Wonders was fun but none of that style of game has been able to do it for me like HoMM3 did. Everything since HoMM3 just hasn't felt quite the same, progressively getting worse and less fun. Will still probably end up getting AoW III tho, thanks for that link!
HoMM 5 is up there with all the expansions I think, they toned down the magic and the game seemed a bit better balanced.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
User to have a 2100 + rating back in the day on DM's. Hun rushing and goth countering whilst trying to be first to build the market to sell wall the wood you never needed as a hun player. Hundreds of lost host as a 15-16 year old kid. Good times where had

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
No, its the same for everyone. Vehn is refering to the "pre-release" for the ones who pre-purchase the game, in other words, you can buy it and start playing right now.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Ah, well, I'm finally playing through XCOM, so I'll probably wait for summer sale.

vehn

Silver Knight of the Realm
20 knights in 20 minutes is a pretty good build order. Did a 2v2 last night and killed them both as my ally suxxed

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I suck at RTS
Yeah, one of the good things about AoC if you hate rushing is that it's a slow paced game to start. You are still going to be shitty though if you lack the ability to raid(or protect) vils.

I've had a lot of fun playing it this weekend. Had a lot of lag issues Friday night, but got some great team games which is where I always thought the Age of games shined.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Yeah, I will be spending quite some time playing solo until I get the hang of it again. Haven't played in over a decade.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, its the same for everyone. Vehn is refering to the "pre-release" for the ones who pre-purchase the game, in other words, you can buy it and start playing right now.
Obviously you didn't come up with it, but am I alone in thinking that logic is entirely ridiculous? Pre-release exactly the same as released, people can pay money then can immediately play it!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Still a great, great game. It does look much better, but I thought it would look even better than it does. Expectations too high I guess - spent a decent amount of time playing this weekend though, so obviously not a big deal.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Dug up Age of Mythology, played a few games against a friend and some co-ops. Would play again (esp HD).

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Still a great, great game. It does look much better, but I thought it would look even better than it does. Expectations too high I guess - spent a decent amount of time playing this weekend though, so obviously not a big deal.
I thought it would look better also. Of course my game may be bugged as when I play in full screen I can't see the full tech tree and the game seems like its running a lesser resolution. It doesn't look as "crisp" in menus or in game as I thought it would. And you can't even change the resolution :/

Obviously love the game itself, like the original.