Amazon Fire TV

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Amazon really wants to be Apple. First they start pricing their new Kindle Fire HDs up in the stratosphere with Apples iPads, now they release this at the exact same price point as the Apple TV. This device should be $50-$60 tops, not $100.

spronk

FPS noob
i was gonna ask if it'll do mkv files over the network or attached to thumb drives, i guess not? would like to replace my parents boxee at some point since its pretty much a unsupported product now

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Went ahead and grabbed one, will post some thoughts after I've used it a bit over the weekend.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This seems like something only those who are already heavily invested in Amazon would enjoy. But for them it looks pretty awesome. I can see someone with a Kindle and an Amazon Prime subscription loving this.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tempting, but too many boxes on my TV right now for it's HDMIs and don't feel like messing with a splitter free move.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems the only thing that makes it better is that it has games (apps) which I would think most who want a roku/apple tv are not getting it for that but for the streaming content. I agree, no HBOGo already puts it at a disadvantage but it's probably a matter of time before it gets it.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So can someone explain how this is going to be better than trying out something like the WDTV Live? I don't care about the gaming (I have handhelds, tablets, consoles and computers for that) I found the current version on Amazon for $84, so its actually cheaper than the fire TV.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
So can someone explain how this is going to be better than trying out something like the WDTV Live? I don't care about the gaming (I have handhelds, tablets, consoles and computers for that) I found the current version on Amazon for $84, so its actually cheaper than the fire TV.
I picked up a WDTV Live a couple months ago when I decided to drop my TV service. I almost exclusively use it for watching downloaded files (read: torrents) that are stored on my desktop pc, and it does this amazingly well. However, I really don't like using the WDTV Live for streaming from services such as Netflix. The overall WDTV Live interface is kind of clunky in my opinion, and it isn't as responsive as I'd like.

I think like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, if you're going to be playing torrented files you're much better off with something like WDTV Live. But I think the Fire TV looks awesome if you mostly do streaming.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I picked up a WDTV Live a couple months ago when I decided to drop my TV service. I almost exclusively use it for watching downloaded files (read: torrents) that are stored on my desktop pc, and it does this amazingly well. However, I really don't like using the WDTV Live for streaming from services such as Netflix. The overall WDTV Live interface is kind of clunky in my opinion, and it isn't as responsive as I'd like.

I think like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, if you're going to be playing torrented files you're much better off with something like WDTV Live. But I think the Fire TV looks awesome if you mostly do streaming.
That's what I was thinking. I recall the YouTube app being complete shit on WDTV. Discovery or trying to watch subs was painful. Mainly I just have a 2TB USB drive that I'd plug in and call it good.

For Netflix/YT, I already have a Chromecast, which seems to do the job pretty well since I can cast from my phone, laptop or tablet.

I'll be looking forward to what people think of the Fire TV.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Being incapable of playing torrented files on this product makes it worthless in my eyes; at least the Apple TV allows this.
Can you explain why the built in Plex support wouldn't work for this? I use Plex to stream torrented shit to my TV all the time.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yup, pretty sure just like the Roku, you can use Plex to play whatever you want.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love that every streamer that comes out all anyone on this board cares about is streaming their pirated content. Amazon sells content. They are probably losing money on this box in order to sell more content. I don't think they give a fuck about helping you stream pirated shit to their box.

The voice search on the remote is a very good idea. Price-wise it's much beefier hardware than a Roku 3 or Apple TV at the same price point.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I love that every streamer that comes out all anyone on this board cares about is streaming their pirated content. Amazon sells content. They are probably losing money on this box in order to sell more content. I don't think they give a fuck about helping you stream pirated shit to their box.
Why should consumers care that Amazon subsidizes the box? If it isn't useful for what we'd use it for, then it's not a product worth buying. I can already stream Amazon and Netflix on my PS4.

Price-wise it's much beefier hardware than a Roku 3 or Apple TV at the same price point.
Are any of these boxes actually hardware constrained? My boxee runs everything just fine (including 3D at 1080p).

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
This doesn't offer anything awesome that I might want. I have Apple TV's and Roku's in the house and they do everything I could want them to do. I have no interest in playing games on them.

Column_sl

shitlord
The amazon studio games do look interesting tho, but I'm not sure they will stay only on there set top box.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

The voice search on the remote is a very good idea. Price-wise it's much beefier hardware than a Roku 3 or Apple TV at the same price point.
I think the only reason for the specs though is that it can play games. I've got a Roku3 and I've never had any sort of issues with the hardware. I agree with you though that like the Kindle Fire, it's just another device to drive people to buy from Amazon. Problem is there are other devices where you can do that if you want (Roku) plus get more streaming content than what this device is offering.