AMD vs Nvidia: Which is better?

• AMDicks

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Nvidiots

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I know, right? Its like they are using some other shit than I have, cause, again, I have not been experiencing any of this.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've had issues with both and have had great cards with both. I'll buy whatever is the best card at that point. I have a 980ti in my main PC in my living room and a R9 290X in my office.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Well, I had a great experience with my AMD 7970s when I needed to heat up my office. Those things kick out BTUs like nobody's business.

Beyond that, I can't say I've ever had an experience that made me say "I refuse to buy nVidia again". Can't say the same about AMD.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I had a 6950 that also got hot as fuck.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive actually had one card go bad on me, BSOD and dead like right after buying it, but this was in the early 2000s when it was still ATI. Forget the card.

I usually try to stay in the $180-$250 range, which usually means last gen model, and usually the ones that give me the best bang are the AMDs. And by doing so I can usually upgrade more often that way. I cannot really justify $400 cards every 6 months these days since I dont play as many games as I have in the past. Ive been enjoying my PS4 lately.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I've had both over the years with no real issues. Overall AMD has had better support for the older games that I often play, though their drivers haven't always been the best in the past. Nvidia also needs to start supporting the variable refresh rate standard. That being said I just upgraded from a 7870 to a 1070 and couldn't be happier.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been years since I owned an AMD, but I echo the sentiment here. The card ran hot and loud for no reason whatsoever. Also, the driver support was total shit when trying to SLI (whatever AMDs version was called). I ditched AMD and haven't looked back since.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The things that keep coming up were fixed 5 years ago. Aside from some garbage stuff like raptr installing and the top top end cards being wattage black holes the rest has been great. The drivers unlock performance because the cards have always been built for the future and the price points are usually great. The biggest issue is when nvidia partners with games and the amd optimization is fucked. I have used both. I buy nvidia and amd for work. But when its function for dollar I usually use amd.. But I am also the definition of a patient gamer.

If you aren't comfortable...don't buy them, but also don't spread the same "garbage driver runs hot" stuff that's been around since the 90s.