American Gods

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Man, I don't know if I just have some kind of fetish for modern fantasy style stories, or some people just have no taste.. This is one of my favorite shows to come along in years. I could understand it not being your favorite, but anyone bashing on it as 'garbage' just confuses the hell out of me. The cinematography and look of the show ranges from good to great. The amount of detail they've put into the sets, clothing, etc.. is amazing. Re-watching some of the episodes afterwards made me notice a lot of stuff I missed on the first go around.

The acting has been solid all-around. Shadow moon is the least 'interesting' because he's playing a mostly normal dude to this point, but that isn't the actor's fault. He still has his moments of charisma or intensity. Ian McShane is killing it as Wednesday, naturally, but so are most of the other Gods. I think Bilquis has been my least favorite, but that's mainly because she doesn't say much, which seems to be a conscious characteristic decision. Seduction/Lust isn't really about what you are saying, so I could see why they'd have that character be somewhat quiet compared to say... a story telling God, like nancy.

The backstage/carousel scene in the season 2 opener was awesome. Seeing all the Gods in their... cosmic form?, was really cool. I thought that new Goddess was gonna be Kali, and while I don't remember what they said her God name was, I think it was said and it wasn't that. Then again, after a quick little google search, I just realized that 'Kali' is just a form/avatar of Parvati that is known to fight demons? I thought Kali was actually a war god, so seems I had some mixed up info.

Anyway, maybe the storyline will fall off the deep end and end up without a satisfactory conclusion, but so far it has created a great setting with a good hook. I don't know how big the book is, or if there is just one, but I'm hoping there is enough content for more than 3 seasons without dragging it out. This is the closest thing to replacing GoT for when that ends this year.

There is one primary book that this is based on. There is a second book specifically about Mr. Nancy and his children called Anansi Boys. Both are excellent books, and I would highly recommend them. Neil Gaiman has been batting 1.000 on his written stuff since the 90s.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I read the book years ago, but I don't remember ANY of this last episode being in the book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't read the book yet, not sure I want to this far into the show. Might even go with the full cast audiobook. Get the feeling this will end up going beyond the book if a season 3 is already a go.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
I wouldn't spoil the end just yet, there are still twists left. Just rewatch after you do read it.

• 2Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Well damn.. that kinda sucks. Either means the show ends sooner, rather than later, or they end up trying to pad it. Whenever a good show, based on a good book, does that, it tends to get worse. Maybe the author helps write the extra stuff and it's still good, but idk..

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I haven't read the book yet, not sure I want to this far into the show. Might even go with the full cast audiobook. Get the feeling this will end up going beyond the book if a season 3 is already a go.
I would, just because it won't spoil anything.

There is a divergence in the book show. They're focusing on different aspects.

Even in the book the plot isn't the most important thing. I'm the show it really isnt.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
"How the fuck is that an upgrade?". I concur. Much prefer Gillian Anderson over this chubby Asian.

• 2Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Well damn.. that kinda sucks. Either means the show ends sooner, rather than later, or they end up trying to pad it. Whenever a good show, based on a good book, does that, it tends to get worse. Maybe the author helps write the extra stuff and it's still good, but idk..
They padded the first season quite a bit.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Is the book as full of sjwism? It seems to have gotten worse since the first season.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Uhh what show are you watching

Season 1 had indian gay fire butthole sex, we haven't gotten much sjw/gay/etc at all shoved in our face this season yet compared to s1, not even close if you ask me.

Undead zombie slut was way more powerful and stupid in s1 100%. Glad they upped leprechaun and dumped her down a bit.

• 2Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Gillian Anderson leaving was big hit. Media was one of my favorite parts of season one. Pablo Shrieber need to get more roles, probably one of my favorite actors to start coming out the last4-5 years

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Uhh what show are you watching

Season 1 had indian gay fire butthole sex, we haven't gotten much sjw/gay/etc at all shoved in our face this season yet compared to s1, not even close if you ask me.

Undead zombie slut was way more powerful and stupid in s1 100%. Glad they upped leprechaun and dumped her down a bit.
Lol as soon as that scene started I was like...oh no.

I manned up and stroked along anyway.

• 1Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Also never put these 2 together. Feel dumb not putting the names together

Screenshot_20190330-113010.png

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Also never put these 2 together. Feel dumb not putting the names together
Same, didn't realize it till just now. But, it seems that is because they are only half-brothers, from the father. Maybe they aren't super close, so it's never come up much in media before.

Speaking of media... while I like the idea they had with new media on paper, the execution feels a little off. Her fuck-melding with Argus was sorta hot, but otherwise idk how I feel about it yet. The idea that media needed a harsher edge to stand up to Wednesday, and is tapping into her social media side instead now, is interesting. On paper, anyway. She's still supposed to be their salesman, so she has to be seductive or charming, so we'll see if she can consistently pull that off as well. Saw a glimpse of it in how she interacted with Argus, though it felt a little forced and too direct. She should be a bit more subtle, imo.

Also, I didn't realize the show has been having issues with the show runners. Completely missed all the news about Fuller and Green leaving the show, and that the guy they brought in to replace them has had issues on set with the cast. Seems Gaiman is mostly running season 2, which might sound good, but he needs someone to temper his ideas for TV sometimes. Fuller leaving is also why Gillian Anderson and Chenoweth (easter) both left. I'm starting to be a little nervous about where the show heads from here.

• 1Like

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Magicians made it work, but its one of the few.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, is Tech Boy about to be reborn now, too? Seems like he needs an upgrade of some kind, and the VR helmet of death showing up suggests a new version of him already popped up. That, or New Media is simply absorbing him into herself. There is some interesting subtext about which one of them is potentially redundant, in terms of people's worship, at this point.

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
Too bad it's 99% filler, I'd easily watch an hour of an enraged Crispin murking people each week, he's great like lovejoy.

mw.jpg

• 2Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Same, didn't realize it till just now. But, it seems that is because they are only half-brothers, from the father. Maybe they aren't super close, so it's never come up much in media before.

Speaking of media... while I like the idea they had with new media on paper, the execution feels a little off. Her fuck-melding with Argus was sorta hot, but otherwise idk how I feel about it yet. The idea that media needed a harsher edge to stand up to Wednesday, and is tapping into her social media side instead now, is interesting. On paper, anyway. She's still supposed to be their salesman, so she has to be seductive or charming, so we'll see if she can consistently pull that off as well. Saw a glimpse of it in how she interacted with Argus, though it felt a little forced and too direct. She should be a bit more subtle, imo.

Also, I didn't realize the show has been having issues with the show runners. Completely missed all the news about Fuller and Green leaving the show, and that the guy they brought in to replace them has had issues on set with the cast. Seems Gaiman is mostly running season 2, which might sound good, but he needs someone to temper his ideas for TV sometimes. Fuller leaving is also why Gillian Anderson and Chenoweth (easter) both left. I'm starting to be a little nervous about where the show heads from here.
I didn't know about the production issues either until trying to find out why Gillian Anderson didn't return. New/Social Media sucks in comparison.

• 1Like