Android/iOS/Browser games

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I only have an ipad so if anyone has resources for Android etc I will edit them into this post later.

The first stop for IOS should behttp://appshopper.com/Register on that site and put stuff on your wishlist and you'll get an email telling you when it's had a price drop, it's also much handier for linking instead of a straight to itunes link.

http://toucharcade.com/is probably the main gaming news site for IOS specifically and also has a handy app for looking through all their old reviews etc. What the mobile scene is sorely missing is an IGN type site that has indexed reviews by genre etc, someone pointed it out in the MN thread but sadly there isn't one yet.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/covers almost every active current brand of mobile gaming, it's pretty shallow for actually describing its content but picks up a lot more than just the popular stuff that TA covers so at least you have an idea that something is out there.

For strategy & rpg games for most types of hardwarehttp://pockettactics.com/is pretty good and he just hired more staff as the site is getting more popular so hopefully the coverage will only get better.

If you have other/better places for info shout out!

Fazana_sl

shitlord
GTA: Vice Citycame out yesterday and at only ?3/$5 I'm hearing it's a great port with customisable controls. No idea what (if anything) they have added to make it the 10th year anniversary edition but shit, Vice City on your handheld! Fair warning, last year they released GTA and had a 50% off sale within 2 weeks so you might want to wait until the inevitable christmas sale of 90% of the itunes gamelist.

The Sims Medievalis the big freebie of the last 24 hours.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Update title to include android!
smile.png

Paladog recommendation was the greatest!

smile.png

smile.png

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Wonderputt is free for 24 hours, got good reviews at launchWonderputt - Ipad 2+

Nskjz.jpg

I've pm'd a mod and asked if the thread title can be changed to include Android, dumb of me not to have put it in there in the first place and just using mobile to encompass it all >.<

Edit: VVV Wonderputt is pretty good indeed!

Nskjz.jpg

Nskjz.jpg

Nskjz.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Google Play keeps putting The Bard's Tale up in my grill. Any reviews from my RRbros?

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Baldurs Gate EE just came out for IOS, it is supposed to really good. It's 10 bucks though, I've never spend more then 3 bucks or so on a mobile game. Anyone know if its worth it?

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Wonderputt is free for 24 hours, got good reviews at launchWonderputt - Ipad 2+

Nskjz.jpg

I've pm'd a mod and asked if the thread title can be changed to include Android, dumb of me not to have put it in there in the first place and just using mobile to encompass it all >.<

Edit: VVV Wonderputt is pretty good indeed!
This app requires a front facing camera.

What the fuck is it?

Nskjz.jpg

Nskjz.jpg

Azziane_sl

shitlord
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/king...335545504?mt=8

I cannot stop playing this. It was posted by someone else before The Shame, (by Fazana or the other guy that seemed to be serious about iOS/mobile games), and it is great. It is worth the $10 but I can't see, unfortunately, anyone paying that much for such a weird game that has nothing to compare it to.

The game is a Choose Your Own Adventure (CYOA) book in the most advanced way I personally can think of. Reviews out there claim it as being the best mix of Civilization and CYOA. That is just not true. It is CYOA, pure and simple. It is all text + static picture based. That being said you do manage shit like you would in a Civ game. You have to manage food supplies, defenses, warriors, exploration, people's happiness and other stuff. But, again, there is no graphical UI with shit moving around or anything. It is (I feel like I need to insist on that point) a (-n advanced) CYOA book.

You begin the game by making (text based) choices about what your clan is like. Its primary deity (among many), the shrines (to gods) it will start with (and therefore which powers (blessings) it begins with), how the clan handles slavery, who your ancient enemies are (which affect the game in many ways)... You're then thrown into the game where every turn (10 turns per year, 2 turns per season, 5 season total) you have to make a choice. Sometimes nothing happens and you can just choose to recruit farmers (from different sources, offering them different kinds of incentive) or warriors, or explore, or raid etc... Sometimes the choice is not yours and something happens to your clan. Maybe someone raided you and you need to defend yourself - and therefore make choices on how to do that. Or your exploration party returns with news from a far away land that require your council/leaders to make a decision.

All in all it is a game (almost want to call it a book, but not quite) about balancing all the aspects of a civilization (call it a clan or whatever) - war/peace, exploration, happiness, the whimsical gods, and whatever else. You make choices, they have consequences.

It was very intriguing for me and it scratched that itch that I used to have as a teenager(well one of them) when I was reading CYOA books. I remember always looking for the adventures that offered the most complex "character sheets". I believe the Lone Wolf adventures usually were the best but not always. Some of them did made your print out/write out a character sheet with stats and shit. And that was awesome.

This is even better.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
This app requires a front facing camera.

What the fuck is it?
If memory serves, it's a way for devs to stop people trying to run games on an ipad 1 rather than for a nefarious purpose.

The game itself is a single screen minigolf screen with a huge dollop of charm and an ever changing landscape as you complete a hole. It's pretty hard to describe without playing it or seeing a video tbh.

As for the "other guy" that was probably me, I took the opportunity for a name change when we moved forums as I had a very long time ago sold the Eve account the name was taken from
biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Mobage, publishers of Rage Of Bahamut, Blood Brothers and Fantasica amongst others have kicked another out the door.Defender Of TexelThe link is for a 20+ minute video on an IOS forum but I understand it is out on Android as well. Looks like something (slightly?) different from the straight card based battler genre anyway.

I'm in and giving it a go on FazanaSA if anyone wants to friend for walks on the beach with several breaks for monster fighting encounters.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I'd somehow managed to miss that FF3 is out on IOS. The prices for Square games always give sticker shock (for want of a better phrase) for their mobile products but I suppose that's an unfair comparison as they are almost always much higher gaming quality. Then again Rockstar have just kicked out GTA Vice City for ?5 so hmm?!

Talking of old rpg's though I don't think I ever mentioned this was aroundLunar Silver Star Story TouchI bought it after some strong reviews and just like far too many games I haven't really got round to it yet >.<

Thread title has been changed to include Android, woo.

PokedexWhen google isn't enough...

Edit: hahaha Apparently the Pokedex app is just the base app and then you have to IAP ?4 a time for the actual region info, there are 4 regions meaning ?17.49 for the full product. Never change in overcharging your fanbase Nintendo!

Fazana_sl

shitlord
FF3 is the best of that bunch probably, it's a port of the DS version which was an enhanced port of the original.

If you like endless runners, this zombie based one is worth a lookInto The DeadIt's one of the forward running type instead of the side scrollers and especially once you have some weapons is a decent enough toilet timewaster for a few goes at least. It doesn't top Ski Safari as the best endless runner game though.

Being a sad muppet with too much time on his hands atm I will probably throw up some genre recommendation posts in the next week or so. With the inevitable 90% of the appstore being on sale to come it might be worth to pool some recommendations together and I'll link the posts in the OP, especially if others chime in with other bits or Android stuff etc.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
The gyroscope thing is probably, like the camera issue mentioned above, a lazy way for the devs to block out ipad 1s. Although making something need v6 of the OS would probably achieve the same thing nowadays.

Football Manager Handheld 2013 is out on IOS tonight (already out in NZ) but as yet I've not seen what new stuff is in it other than challenge scenarios and player faces. It's $13.99 in NZ money which probably means $10 US and ?6.99 or something in the UK.

There's also this, I'll let it speak for itself as I don't know WTF

Next week see's Ravensword, an IOS form of Oblivion/Skyrim in all but name, looks nice though!

Edit: Holy fuck, the pricing on that FF game... 13 music bundles at $3 each, 25 characters at $2 each and 59 individual songs (different from the bundles) at $1 each for a nice grand total of around $150. Bargains, much cheapness!