Annihilation (2018)

Juvarisx

Florida
Now I know why Paramount sold the international rights, they had no idea what they had and the trailers do NOT do this film justice.

This film was wonderful don't torrent it. Top tier sci-fi with "The Thing" (the good one from the 80's) creatures, an atmosphere of dread that outshines anything I have seen, and some top tier body horror that is equal to the disturbing shit that got cut from Event Horizon for being too intense.

Honestly, I have not felt so uncomfortable in a good way watching a movie in a really long time. The funny thing is there is some really beautiful imagery in this movie, then you realize what it is and you just think, holy fuck.

Btw that creature you see form the trailer is probably the creepiest thing I have ever seen created for a film

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Very solid movie, great writing and the acting in this was outstanding for many reasons I don't want to get into to avoid any spoilers. As said above the trailer doesn't do this film justice at all. Visually incredible and I didn't really see where the story was going until very near the end, but then lots of things started slotting into place. The creature Juvarisx mentioned was horrifying and not just for its appearance, but what it actually "represented" I guess the word would be. Highly recommend, definitely in the same sci-fi camp as Arrival.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
I can see why this movie is gonna be so dividing. I thought it was just average, maybe crossing the line into pretentious (trying to be meaningful without really saying/showing anything that is especially interesting). I sorta enjoyed it, more for the post-apocalyptic vibe the "Glimmer" zone had ala Last of Us rather than the actual main story. I'd disagree with some of the reviews above, I thought the acting was pretty one note, the visuals were kinda cheap, and the cinematography was just ok, not spectacular. Of course, I'm comparing it to stuff like Arrival or Blade Runner or Ex-Machina so maybe its not fair.

6/10, with a moviepass its an easy go for it but not sure I'd really recommend anyone pay real money for it, especially since it should be on netflix pretty soon. Visually I didn't see anything that demanded the theater experience. If you watch a lot of horror this stuff is gonna be super tame and boring, but if you liked It! you may find this enjoyable. I read a lot of sci fi so the concepts in the movie have been done often and better (imo) but it does some sci fi concepts very different from usual movies/TV which I appreciated. I don't think its anywhere near as stimulating as Arrival or Ex-Machina though.

My wife HATED it, just absolutely thought it was pretentious crap which was interesting since the movie feels very female-positive.

Its an extremely SLOW movie, like I'd say blade runner 2049 was action packed in contrast to this. So if you hate slow movies wait for it at home.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ome

Trakanon Raider
Spronk summed it up pretty much just the way I felt about it. I also enjoyed Blade Runner, Ex Machina, and Arrival. Only thing I want to add is if you loved the Carpenter Thing dont go into this movie expecting that movie.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
...and some top tier body horror that is equal to the disturbing shit that got cut from Event Horizon for being too intense.

Oh wait, they cut scenes from Event Horizon? Are they floating around somewhere?!

Loved that movie. This makes me really wanna see it. It's been since Gone Girl that I've felt really anxious in a movie! Can't wait!

• 1Solidarity

nu_11

This movie is a trip. I think it's not mainstream friendly.

Has similarities to the Lovecraft short story The Color out of Space.

A creature in this movie is pretty fucked up. Get all your nopes.

The film does have problems though. But I rack it up to the limitations of movie storytelling. In return you get some cool visuals though.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
This movie is a trip. I think it's not mainstream friendly.

Has similarities to the Lovecraft short story The Color out of Space.

A creature in this movie is pretty fucked up. Get all your nopes.

The film does have problems though. But I rack it up to the limitations of movie storytelling. In return you get some cool visuals though.

It’s got to better then then books, and I mean the entire trilogy. That was the most purple prose bullshit I’ve read in years. If the movie condenses things down, then so be it...Still going to see tomorrow...

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh wait, they cut scenes from Event Horizon? Are they floating around somewhere?!

Loved that movie. This makes me really wanna see it. It's been since Gone Girl that I've felt really anxious in a movie! Can't wait!

There was the original cut of it that had the test audience throwing up and terrified, that stuff got cut out. I think the director said it was an extended ships log scene and he had no idea what happened to the uncut version unfortunately.

Juvarisx

Florida
There was the original cut of it that had the test audience throwing up and terrified, that stuff got cut out. I think the director said it was an extended ships log scene and he had no idea what happened to the uncut version unfortunately.

Event Horizon (Unreleased 130 Minute Cut)

few unreleased bits on there

event_horizon_hell.jpg

• 3Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw this movie last night. It is good. Thought provoking, creepy, and pretty original. It is not perfect, a little slow in parts, but it is really good sci-fi.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I really enjoyed "Ex Machina," and I really wanted to enjoy this one just as much, but I feel it's a solidly 7/10 for me: go to a matinee if you can.

It had some great effects and art direction.

The
confrontation with the alien in the lighthouse
along with the creepy soundtrack that plays with it was haunting

Unfortunately, at times the film felt very abstract and some things were left unexplained.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
7/10 for me. Entertaining and creepy enough. The creature was badass, but the ending got a bit too weird (and not always in a good way?).

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Can't decide if I liked it or not, I felt like the last 20 minutes were too drawn out. the lead up was great, decent acting and the art and creature designs were A+. Probably a bit too abstract overall.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
HOLY SHIT THIS WAS BAD.

Ok so I didn't understand the joke about the 15 minute silver ballet.

Now I do.

This was as bad as the Village or Battlefield Earth. The music displaced the entire thing the whole trek felt offplace. Ending was god awful, and the acting was trash outside of Natalie and Jane the Virgin.

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard

nu_11

I liked the movie.

But in regards to the ending...
tumblr_mz2siojfUw1rqhkn3o1_1280.jpg

• 3Worf

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
agree with others 7/10, good but not amazing. Ultimately entertaining. I'll elaborate in more detail after I get sleep.

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gonna go against the grain a little and say this movie was dogshit. Felt like a 2 hour jungle trek with flashbacks, and a 20 minute Tool music video for an ending. The music was great and it had some pretty interesting scenes, but the story was just blah.

• 2Solidarity

Ladro

Anomaly
So is this coming to Netflix or what? Sounded like only internationally which sucks if it's not that great.

• 1Solidarity