Any advice on temporary turtle care?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I came home to find my dog gnawing on a turtle. Don't think she hurt the little guy but I literally have no idea as to what to do with it. I am pretty sure there aren't wild turtles in the area so I think he has to be a pet. Would like to keep him alive long enough to find the owner. Any ideas?

Pics.
rrr_img_66724.jpg

rrr_img_66725.jpg

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you think it's a pet (it isn't) than go with a kiddie pool. When you realize it isn't a pet drop it off by whatever local body of water/swamp/marsh. This time of year around these parts the turtles are on the move for mating purposes.

When I was a kid my parents caught a turtle while fishing and brought it home. The golden retriever pried it in half at ate it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Google Fu tells me there are turtles around here, but the most common is a painted turtle which this guy looks nothing like. The other is very uncommon, a western pond turtle which looks closer to this guy, but my turtle doesn't have any lines radiating down the shell. To the best I can tell, I think I have me a box turtle. He is about the size of an adult fist.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Google Fu tells me there are turtles around here, but the most common is a painted turtle which this guy looks nothing like. The other is very uncommon, a western pond turtle which looks closer to this guy, but my turtle doesn't have any lines radiating down the shell. To the best I can tell, I think I have me a box turtle. He is about the size of an adult fist.
Bring it with you to work tomorrow and if someone on the road pisses you off throw it at their car.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
So a turtle jumped from his aquarium, raced out of his owner's house while the door was open, and proceeded directly to your yard attack your lab?

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If it's injured call animal control and ask for the number of the local wildlife rehab center if there is one. If it's fine you could probably just let it go unless you live in a metropolis or something.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So a turtle jumped from his aquarium, raced out of his owner's house while the door was open, and proceeded directly to your yard attack your lab?
My 4th grade teacher had turtles in her classroom. We took them out to recess to play all the time. They liked hunting crickets.

Also:
No matter which, most experts agree that spending at least some time outdoors is very beneficial to box turtles kept in captivity.
Kid took his turtle out to play and lost track of him because A.D.D or something. /shrug

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its a fucking reptile, not a human baby. Who gives a shit, go throw it in a lake or river.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
Looks like possibly an African spurred tortoise, which would definitely be a pet. Let it go and it'll probably be hit by a car or another dog will find it. Put up a <FOUND TORTOISE> sign on a nearby telephone pole with your phone number on it for a few days. Try feeding it some nightcrawlers.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Shell aint broke, I assume the dog didnt knaw off one of its legs. It will be fine. Now as far as if its a pet or not, I dunno.

rrr_img_66731.jpg