Any advice on temporary turtle care?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Turtle Sauce Piquante

1/4 cup oil
2 onions, chopped
1 cup mixed chopped bell pepper, garlic and celery, in proportion, to taste
4 cans tomato sauce (8 ounces each)
1 can Ro*tel tomato sauce or chopped hot pepper (10 ounces)
2 pounds turtle meat (Shrimp may be substituted)
Salt, to taste
Cooked rice

Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add chopped vegetables, cooking until lightly browned. Add tomato sauce and Ro*tel and cook until oil rises. Add 3 cups of water and let simmer for ? to 1 hour. Add turtle meat and enough water to maintain consistency of spaghetti sauce and cook until meat is tender, at least an hour, depending on age of turtle, or 20 minutes for shrimp. Salt to taste. Serve over cooked rice

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
that aint a fucking african spurred tortoise. Its some sort of land turtle- they live everywhere, including where you are. A better picture of its head and a general geograpic area you're in would narrow it down, but from what I've seen so far it looks like a cooter of some sort. Most land-only turtles are slightly bigger and usually have moss/grass growing on them.

If its a land turtle, let it go back where you found it.

kalitree_sl

shitlord
I've a pair myself, aquatic ones, but they tend to seek out somewhere dark to hide every now and then when they're out of the water, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a sort of den it can hide in.

iannis

Musty Nester
I just put them next to the pond and whisper, "You're free now. No more tears."

There's a turtle fucking season or something. Little bitches migrate at certain times in the spring and fall. You'll find them every now and then.

iannis

Musty Nester
Turtles have probably always been like, "What the fuck man? There ain't no bitches here. This pond is a total sausagefest."

"Asshole"

Caliane

just a box turtle.
Let him go near any local pond.

Always wash your hands after touching it. salmonella.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Ninja's With Turtles is disappointed you have captured his animal spirit.

BIOyT63.jpg

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Give a coin toss. Right side up, let it go. Upside down, hold on to it. If it dies on landing, bury it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Turns out it was a Golden Greek Tortoise. Most definitely not native and probably a lost or purposely released pet. Had quite the run-around trying to find a home for the little guy. Humane society and a couple of other no-kill shelters in the area didn't want to take him (not set up to care for turtles). Contacted 4H and they didn't want him either but sent out an alert through their mailing list which eventually got me into contact with a dude who runs a wildlife rescue and animal educational program who was stoked to get the turtle, or tortoise or whatever.

Apparently I should have tried to sell the sucker as he said healthy adults go for $400-$500, but really I was just happy to find him a home.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Late to the party. The tortoise does look reasonably healthy, though. Probably bought at a pet store and released once the kid decided it was a pain in the ass.