Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

kudos

<Banned>
Too funny... just happened across this googling around downtime at work.

http://www.oocities.org/theroyalnorr...uard/rok1.html

Keep in mind, the post dates are Dec. 1999
********WHERE IS MIRAGUL'S SANCTUARY?********
FACT: In the EverQuest history site and in the strategy guide, there is a long tale of Miragul, an Erudite who desired to acquire absolute knowledge of the universe. It says that his sanctuary was hidden in the far North, and that it contained treasure and knowledge unparalled by any other civilization. He also never died, he turned himself into a liche but was unable to transfer his spirit into the vessel. Thusly, his spirit and Liche are hidden away in his innersanctum.
UNPROVEN INFORMATION: Why would the EverQuest designers put this long well developed story out if it didn't have anything to do with the game? Is there some hidden zone in EverFrost peaks? Is this a zone that doesn't exist right now (or ever will), or is it so secret that no GM is allowed to speak about it. If it does exist, what is inside? Simply a high level liche and ghost? Monsters that carry items that blow plane gear away? Monsters that drop unique, high level spells?
WE NEED STALWART ADVENTURERS TO COMB EVERFROST PEAKS (AND MAYBE EVEN PERMAFROST), IN ORDER TO FIND THIS SANCTUM. IF IT IS FOUND, PLEASE SUBMIT A SCREENSHOT THAT SAYS, "YOU HAVE ENTERED MIRAGUL'S SANCTUM," OR SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES.
How naive we were back then...

Xeldar

Silver Squire
^ was part of what made EQ fun. You had no idea what could be out there. Now, everything is revealed/datamined 6 months before a release.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Assuming the diabeetus hasn't gotten him, someone go to Lowes, buy a mechanical cart and six shovels, then get on their Batphone and pry Gordon Wrinn's fat ass out of the Hometown Buffet booth.

We're going to need someone to document this fucktastrophe. After it all goes to shit, hire Hartsman to clean it up but the others can steal the credit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It is odd that some of those made it into EQ2 but not EQ1. The ones I can think of though (like Loping Plains and the Miraguls instances/raid) didn't come out at release, so I do kind of wonder how much work if any was done at the time, or if they did nothing at all until they started on those areas for EQ2. Given what happened with other stuff I wouldn't be surprised at all if no work was even done at the time at all and it just became fluff for the later MMO.

EDIT:

Assuming the diabeetus hasn't gotten him, someone go to Lowes, buy a mechanical cart and six shovels, then get on their Batphone and pry Gordon Wrinn's fat ass out of the Hometown Buffet booth.

We're going to need someone to document this fucktastrophe. After it all goes to shit, hire Hartsman to clean it up but the others can steal the credit.
Naw, that's what we have Utnayan for. He takes notes, remember?http://utnayan.ytmnd.com/

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
^ was part of what made EQ fun. You had no idea what could be out there. Now, everything is revealed/datamined 6 months before a release.
This is probably what I miss the most. Allakhazam was a fucking crapshoot back then, and it was far and away the best website for finding anything out.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Mother fuckin everlore and castersrealm.
They were good for what they were at the time, but Alla's was more user friendly and the information that was there was more accessible. They did a much better job of creating relationships with other sites and promoting themselves early on, which pulled in more users and increased the amount of info to be had there. He also realized early enough that the site had to generate enough income to keep itself around, which it did with adverts and premium accounts. It's no accident Alla's outlived the other two.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Despite PoP being somewhat retarded with all the books porting you all over the god damn world, I thought the raiding tiers were pretty cool. I did enjoy the 4 elemental planes and then going into PoTime.

The only raiding experience I recently truly enjoyed was probably Ulduar.
Were a small minority, but I thought POP was easily the best expansion since Velious. It was the best written, most cohesive story line ever produced for EQ. It took you from one area to the next so smoothly and the raids were a blast........well, the first 10 times you did them. Raiding the gods, then POTime was an absolute blast. Hell even seeing quarm the first time was like, "OMG, this thing is insane!". If not for the constant backflagging I don't think it would have the poor reputation it received. All they needed to do was have a guild "flag" once you raided a mob to solve that.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Were a small minority, but I thought POP was easily the best expansion since Velious. It was the best written, most cohesive story line ever produced for EQ. It took you from one area to the next so smoothly and the raids were a blast........well, the first 10 times you did them. Raiding the gods, then POTime was an absolute blast. Hell even seeing quarm the first time was like, "OMG, this thing is insane!". If not for the constant backflagging I don't think it would have the poor reputation it received. All they needed to do wa
s have a guild "flag" once you raided a mob to solve that.

Wow.

Ok. 2 things. First, a minority is always going to be smaller. And second, you're not in a minority when your choice is between Luclin or PoP.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Back-flagging was necessary for the longevity of PoP, probably due to its zone hubbing, linear progression, and loot-festness. Why is it that Kunark or Velious, which both had adequate longevity, didn't require this mechanic?

kudos

<Banned>
Back-flagging was necessary for the longevity of PoP, probably due to its zone hubbing, linear progression, and loot-festness. Why is it that Kunark or Velious, which both had adequate longevity, didn't require this mechanic?
Kunark had 10 more levels and larger zones with more content. Velious just had more content overall. Not to mention traveling in Velious was hard and quite a journey which took time. Faction grinds to be able to turn in armor, long quests like the coldain shawl, and no central hub really.

kudos

<Banned>
These are great mmo design features.
Yeah... Some of these $300+ million dollar MMO's shouldn't be using quest hubs and instead should have long hard quests that take weeks to finish. Instead they just copy/paste the same shit for 60 levels and call it a day.

Why not make a couple long quest lines with small and creative mini quests thrown in while you do the main quest? You can level off mobs you kill during the quest lines.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I really wish I could find a screenshot of some of the dev quotes from way back then when they'd post on fan sites. I mean just pure gold half the time. There was no censorship of thought back then either. I'm sure I'm misquoting but I remember Milo talking about how we should all stop bitching and just keep paying for his ferrari etc...