ARK: Survival Ascended

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Ark:Survival Ascended

This is a remake/import of Ark: Survival Evolved, survival game with dinosaurs. Hit early access late last night. High system requirements and needs to be optimized. Looks good though. Comes to consoles in November. Full release to come in late 2024 supposedly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
i picked it up. a homie who'se all installed told me that the servers are mega packed heh i hope they open more

Caliane

interesting.

I couldn't get into ark, since I went to it pretty late. after Conan even. so dated graphics and controls were a bit much.

looking at the "mixed" reviews. its ALL bitching about poor optimization. which is a pretty retarded thing to bitch about in EA. although, full release EA, I suppose...

trying to read up on who exactly is doing this atm.
Studio wildcard is the dev of Ark originally.

They are also listed in the dev for this remake. but so is, Grove street games, and instinct games.

Grove street games did the Switch port of Ark.
Which apparently someone else did the original port, its sucked, and Grove street games came around, redid it completely, and it was good.

Instinct games. I think instinct games did all the xpacs/dlc for ark. (And Atlas)

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah I watched a couple streams for a little bit this morning. Graphics look pretty nice but not sure I want to spend the money just for an updated graphics Ark instead of just waiting on Ark 2 whenever that ends up coming out.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this why 2 was delayed? To make this upgraded version? /tinfoil hat on.

Edit: nvm this was apparently news back in april, when they announced ark 2 delayed to late 2024 and a remaster for $50 in august(guess that pushed back too).

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I watched a couple streams for a little bit this morning. Graphics look pretty nice but not sure I want to spend the money just for an updated graphics Ark instead of just waiting on Ark 2 whenever that ends up coming out.

Ark 2 is going to be a wildly different game. Where as Ark is survival based Ark 2 is supposed to be narrative based I hear. Wild Card knew people were going to be pissy about Ark 2 being different so they remastered Ark Survival Evolved into Survival Ascended.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
Ark 2 was basically not in development when they announced it. So they had to make the whole game

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
Game is incredible and runs like butter on 4080.

This is what I always wanted Ark to feel like, and it's a truly incredible experience to ascend off a map with friends.

It's a GOAT if you like the genre

• 1Seriously?

Goonsquad Officer
we been playing it. the crashes have improved the last few days. all the QoL features are really nice. they need to fix offline protection though heh.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Playing on a public PVP Ark server with a group is one of my top 5 gaming experiences.

Using a pterodactyl to carry someone else with an RPG was amazing.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Playing on a public PVP Ark server with a group is one of my top 5 gaming experiences.

Using a pterodactyl to carry someone else with an RPG was amazing.
Does it make you feel like this?

1698961699077.png

• 1Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
Game is incredible and runs like butter on 4080.

This is what I always wanted Ark to feel like, and it's a truly incredible experience to ascend off a map with friends.

It's a GOAT if you like the genre
Which genre is this?

I played a ton of the survival battle area version where the circle gets smaller and smaller and eventually there's a final person or team.

I enjoyed the persistent game as well on a pve server and offline. The game didn't feel well balanced for pvp, I went to Rust for that.

I could use some mindless dino catching and base building

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I loaded this up, picked a few berries, beat a dodo into loving me (after cramming said berries down its unconscious gullet), started picking a few more berries and the game crashed. Doesn't bode well but not the end of the world, EXCEPT, I log back in (I'm playing single player) and my inventory is empty. My corpse is nowhere to be seen. And my dodo is MIA.

Performance is one thing but losing progress is obviously a deal breaker. What even is the death penalty here? In my case, is it possible I got got by a dino, he et my corpse and dodo, and my items rotted, all while my game had been crashed and I was restarting?

• 1Worf

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
So I loaded this up, picked a few berries, beat a dodo into loving me (after cramming said berries down its unconscious gullet), started picking a few more berries and the game crashed. Doesn't bode well but not the end of the world, EXCEPT, I log back in (I'm playing single player) and my inventory is empty. My corpse is nowhere to be seen. And my dodo is MIA.

Performance is one thing but losing progress is obviously a deal breaker. What even is the death penalty here? In my case, is it possible I got got by a dino, he et my corpse and dodo, and my items rotted, all while my game had been crashed and I was restarting?
It is definitely possible but typically the starting areas have few aggressive Dino types early on. Sounds like you were unlucky in that regard. I have had the same scenario happen to me while I was disconnected.

If you're on a flying mount and get disconnected, it used to dismount you in the air, and your Dino would be hovering off in the distance somewhere but not sure if that's been fixed. It's been quite a while since I've played.

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
Which genre is this?

I should have been more specific, because you're right its a lot of different games.

For me, Ark is: PVE building / crafting / wife gaming / tame collecting / breeding / cave running / boss beating simulator in the prehistoric future world

Goonsquad Officer
the ol tree punch till you make a mammoth knock down trees, till you can get space technology and fly around shooting lasers kind of survival game

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The reviews on steam for this are suspicious vs. comments here

Is this a survival game that is any good playing solo pve offline? Or is it really intended for multi-player?