Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Go light with them. They're seriously one of the biggest ass kickers for legs I've ever done. I almost always feel like vomiting afterwards.

I think when I was doing a 3 plate squat I was still only doing bulgarian split squats with like 50 pound dumbbells.
Thanks.

When looking up vids on how to do them I think I discovered what I was doing wrong with my pistol squats. I think because I'm weak, inflexible and awkward I was leaning too far forward, putting my knee much further beyond my toes. I'll try to incorporate them again in the future when I build up to it.

Weight lifting is one of those activities that you really don't want to fake it till you make it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Go light with them. They're seriously one of the biggest ass kickers for legs I've ever done. I almost always feel like vomiting afterwards.

I think when I was doing a 3 plate squat I was still only doing bulgarian split squats with like 50 pound dumbbells.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I did the bulgarian split squats today and they fit in nicely. I was able to do 3 sets of 10 unweighted per leg. It feels good to finish a leg workout without any kind of weird strain on my hips/knees and instead feel like my legs are jelly. I still want to work up to being able to do a high quality pistol squat, but I'm not there yet.

Another thing that's really helping is murdering my hip flexors and gluts by rolling them with a tennis ball before every workout I do. I got a foam rolling set that came with a bulbous ball thing, but I still like the tennis ball better. I need to get a softball and racket ball from the store to try them out.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I use a lacrosse ball. Mostly on my traps and upper back. Pretty sure I've done my back before (laying down) and it was brutal. Prefer to use the foam roller for that.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Mother fucker talks about and then comes down on me for talking about instant results.

Hah you got me. I thought I said a month.

To avoid shitposting too much, here's what I'm doing every day with my regular workout:

Interesting video. He said pretty much everything I was going to say, only he said it better with technical terms. I think the most important part was the first 2 minutes when he was talking about why your hamstrings are so tight. Stretching for 15 minutes a day aint gunna make up for 8+ hours of doing it wrong. When you're sitting at your desk, you can be stretching your hamstrings. I also suggest massages concentrating on your hammies. He used that ball as a ghetto massage, but the real thing from a good masseuse will be better.

I didn't even realize how awesome my sitting posture was until he explained it. When i think of all the ergonomics experts who told me to lean back and sit with my feet flat on the ground, I laugh.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My desk at work is positioned such that I can't extend my feet =\ I'd have to get a new desk or drill a couple feet sized holes in my desk to avoid it.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Hard to imagine. Is it the design of the desk or clutter underneath? Can you post a picture of that torture device?

Maybe lean back and put your feet up? Ask for a sit/stand desk? Standing would be better than sitting with feet flat.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ended my keto diet yesterday. Was about three months of no bullshit, fewer than 20g of carbs diet with one cheat day where I had a few beers that probably put me at 30g. First month I lost 20lbs, second month I lost 8lbs. I lost two pounds the entire month of September while working out 3-4 times a week, eating 1500-1700 calories a day (170g of protein) and fewer than 20g of carbs. I'm not upset over the last month but it was a pretty disappointing wall since I hoped to get to 190 before switching.

Anyway, I've switched to bulking. Here's what I looked like last night.
5ZYWiK0.jpg

I'm 194lbs, 6'2". No idea what body fat % I am. 25%? 20%? I don't really care.

I don't have a strong opinion about what I'm going to do, but right now the plan is some form of:
1. Intermittent Fasting (8 hour feed window) ala leangains.com, following the training vs resting day macros here:
Leangains Macro Calculator

which is:
Rest Days 156g protein, 116g carbs, 155g fat. 2,483 kcal total
Training Days 156g protein, 556g carbs, 82g fat. 3,587 kcal total

I really have no idea how I'm supposed to eat 556g of carbs. I ate until I was sick tonight and only got to 2700 kcal, 244g carbs. Going from 1700cal, 20g carb to this is extreme, but I'm sure it'll get easier.

Besides training vs resting days and an eight hour window, leangains recommends a protocol of eating two moderately sized meals before a workout and then most of your calories in a meal after your workout. This is pretty tough for me since I generally can't eat a lot at one time.

2. I track my diet/weight in myfitnesspal. I figure I'm supposed to gain 0.5lbs a week on a steady bulk, so I'll adjust my caloric intake based on that. I'm sure I'll balloon up from starting to take creatine as of yesterday along with whatever water comes with actually having muscle glycogen.

3. I'm roughly following a Push/Pull/Legs program like:
Dumbbell P/P/L (Proposed Alternative to Dumbbell Stopgap) • r/Fitness
A Linear Progression Based PPL Program for Beginners • r/Fitness
Coolcicada's Push/Pull/Legs Routine

I only have dumbells (up to 100lbs each), a bench and a pullup bar, so I can't do the big lifts (deadlift, bench, squat) properly. I might join a gym in a couple of months.

Right now I'm tracking my lifts in a spreadsheet and trying out different stuff. My workouts are in flux but the current state and weights (All weights are for each dumbbell)/volume are below. I make no apology for the pretty modest weights, I'm taking things slowly:
Push day:
DB Benchpress: 50lbs 3x13
DB Overhead Press: 30lbs 3x11
DB flyes: 20lbs 3x13
Seated Tricep Extension: 50lbs, 3x10
DB Shrug: 80lbs 3x6
Incline Bench: 30lbs 3x8 (going light on these because they hurt my shoulder before)

Pull day:
DB Deadlift: 60lbs 3x15
Pullup: unweighted, 3x8
Bent DB Row: 40lbs, 3x15
DB Curls: 20lbs 3x10
One-arm DB row: 40lbs 3x15

Leg Day:
DB Squats: 60lbs 3x15
Some weighted neck workouts: 3x10
Bulgarian Split Squat: unweighted, 3x12
DB Lunges: 20lbs 3x7

I figure in a couple months once my routine stabilizes and my improvement starts to flatten more I'll probably settle into a more specific plan.

The PPL routine has someone training 6 days a week, which is difficult for me to follow. We'll see how I do now that I'm eating at a surplus, but I expect to take a rest day twice a week on average.

4. I'm finishing up physical therapy for my shoulder. For the last month and a half I've been doing my PT exercises (focusing on thoracic mobility, chest stretching, shoulder strength, rolling back my shoulders etc) every morning. Right now I'm planning on continuing that with a short workout in the morning focusing on shoulders and may add other stuff to it over time, not sure. I may drop it since working out 5 days a week is pretty taxing and a lot of time anyway.

5. Supplement wise:
. I take protein powder if I have trouble hitting 155g of protein (not hard to meet that), and I eat protein powder pre-workout.
. I take this multivitamin: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Opti-Men-Multivitamin-Supplement/dp/B0015R3AAO
. I eat a couple fish oil pills with every meal.
. I'm taking creatine and glutamine

6. Food source wise I eat a lot of red meat, chicken, eggs and spinach. I'm switching to eating a lot of oats. My wife is on a keto diet, which makes eating together hard because everything she makes is super fatty. She made nachos tonight with keto-chips which are pure fat. I'm sure I'll develop my diet over time, but eating a healthy carb diet is a pretty new idea for me. I'm really craving a PB&J and haven't had bread in 3 months...

None of the above I feel sure about, all criticism is welcome. Ossoi Ossoi , come argue with me now.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Why would I "argue" with you? There's enough keto zealots and noobs elsewhere on this forum and online for me to have had my fill. Especially as recently the best reply you could muster to my genius retelling of Stan was to post a picture of your cuck guild.

But because I'm a nice guy here's my advice it's up to you whether you take it on board

15-1700 calories at 190lbs+ is lol. For reference I'm 160lbs, just got dexa scanned yesterday at 12.8% bf and have been cutting since September at 1800-2200, average weight on fitbit down every week.

10-12 calories per lb is sensible to cut with.

You've gone from keto straight into a lean gains bulk, lol. Well at least you didn't develop carb phobia like most people who lose weight on keto.

You're struggling to eat your calorie target whilst restricting your eating to an 8 hour window, the problem is obvious.

Drop the LG it's unnecessary and at this stage counter productive (been subscribed to that Reddit for 4 years+)

550 carbs - you'd get 270g carbs from 3x 250g microwave white rice. The rest would be 55g from a pack of Skittles workout, 50g carb powder in a post workout shake (although with the post workout Skittles probably too much sugar) . I would lower that number and aim for a portion of carbs every meal, snacks of fruit during day and a post workout candy

Carb intake is determined by training intensity, LG macro targets only matter of you are on their training plan. If you're still doing your cuck body weight exercises then you aren't earning 500g carbs

Yep, reviewing your current exercises and weights you're aren't ready strength wise to start consuming additional calories, you'll just put fat on.

It's easy to get caught in a cycle of perma cut and always wanting to be leaner, but I would focus on getting stronger on a beginner plan like strong lifts, eating 12 calories pre per lb and moving to a carb cycle lg type plan but without the fasting.

Carbs post workout in the form of rice, sweet potato, pasta(60-100g of actual carbs not food weight), reintroduce more veg back into your diet at other meals and start doing hiit after 1-2 weights sessions.

30s fast treadmill, 60s rest * 6 = 10 minutes

You'll get to the 190 and re assess from there

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Tuco Tuco

Is there any reason you can't get a power rack? Power rack and bench, barbell, dumbells, and plates are really the only things you need.

For home gym tryharding, a cable machine would really round it all off.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Thanks, Ossoi Ossoi .
Tuco Tuco

Is there any reason you can't get a power rack? Power rack and bench, barbell, dumbells, and plates are really the only things you need.

For home gym tryharding, a cable machine would really round it all off.
I'm thinking about it, but seeing where I can get with DBs.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Thanks, Ossoi Ossoi .

I'm thinking about it, but seeing where I can get with DBs.

Upper body, DBs can take you pretty far -- dips and a weight belt + incline db press + row variants...

Lower body, fuck no. How are you going to properly squat 200+lbs? Hold a 100lb dumbell in each hand up against your chest? Probably not...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Upper body, DBs can take you pretty far -- dips and a weight belt + incline db press + row variants...

Lower body, fuck no. How are you going to properly squat 200+lbs? Hold a 100lb dumbell in each hand up against your chest? Probably not...
This is what I do right now (with 60lb DBs)
85_1.jpg

85_2.jpg

I think I'll be able to do 100lb DBs, but beyond that? I'll have to look at a rack or a gym. I don't have room for a rack and don't want to buy one and a set of olympic weights, so it'll probably be a gym.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
85_1.jpg

85_2.jpg

I think I'll be able to do 100lb DBs, but beyond that? I'll have to look at a rack or a gym. I don't have room for a rack and don't want to buy one and a set of olympic weights, so it'll probably be a gym.

If you are training at home with dumbbells then I would give this/these workouts a go.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
85_1.jpg

85_2.jpg

Tuco my 135lb wife squats 185 so... yea. Hope springs eternal.

edit: I'd also nitpick the range of motion in the two images. Note that he doesn't drop below parallel. My understanding is this puts a great deal extra force on the knees since they're "catching" the weight as opposed to the hamstrings/glutes. Then, because the hammies/glutes aren't catching the weight, they aren't properly engaged in the lift... bad for growth. Obviously the guy in the images looks good and all but he probably actually does a real workout to look that way =P

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you are training at home with dumbbells then I would give this/these workouts a go.

Thanks, I'll give a watch tonight.

I'm eating breakfast for the first time in two months thanks to your advice btw. It's amazing how much hungrier I am eating a 2700 calorie diet with carbs on it vs a 1700 cal diet with zero carbs. It's like a new spectrum of hunger I haven't felt in three months. Yesterday was torture waiting for lunch time to keep within my intermittent fasting window.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco my 135lb wife squats 185 so... yea. Hope springs eternal.

edit: I'd also nitpick the range of motion in the two images. Note that he doesn't drop below parallel. My understanding is this puts a great deal extra force on the knees since they're "catching" the weight as opposed to the hamstrings/glutes. Then, because the hammies/glutes aren't catching the weight, they aren't properly engaged in the lift... bad for growth. Obviously the guy in the images looks good and all but he probably actually does a real workout to look that way =P
Yeah, that guy does most of the lift examples in bodybuilding.com. When I do mine I bend down until the weights touch the floor, which brings me more than parallel if I'm keeping my back straight like I should.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tuco Tuco you need to fill out your lats and obliques badly or you'll continue to have that hourglass figure.

So I hit 355x4 and 405x4 on squat and deadlift. Officially stronger than I was 2 years.

Don't take time off people. A year of wasted time because I couldn't get my shit together.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco Tuco you need to fill out your lats and obliques badly or you'll continue to have that hourglass figure.

So I hit 355x4 and 405x4 on squat and deadlift. Officially stronger than I was 2 years.

Don't take time off people. A year of wasted time because I couldn't get my shit together.
Right now I have one pull day that looks like:
deadlift
pullups
bent over DB rows
curls
one-arm bench DB rows

What should I do in addition to that?

Not sure if this really impacts obliques, but I've been doing a few planks between sets at each workout, for lack of a better ab workout routine.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Is that the asshole banging Rosie Jones, aka the love of my life?? His workouts are good, ya.

Great job Tuco, you've come a long way baby

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Is that the asshole banging Rosie Jones, aka the love of my life?? His workouts are good, ya.

Great job Tuco, you've come a long way baby

yes lol, he started off posting "lean in 15" easy recipe videos on instagram, used IG to promote his 90 day plan program. Now he's making bank and banging glamour models.

The plan is HIIT and carb cycling. First 4 weeks are HIIT only, then 4 weeks of GVT with HIIT (and increased calories), then 4 weeks of weights with HIIT. Thousands of results pics on his website.

The reason he's been so successful was because his plan makes it easy for total beginners.

Anyway, she's washed up. The UK glamour scene isn't what it was since a) the lad mags died and b) the feminists got Page 3 cancelled