Asking for a Raise

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This right there is going to be your hardest selling point. Doubling your workload when you already don't work 40 hours on a salary paid job. How many hours a week is your boss putting in? If it's more, you're gonna be out of luck. No one wants to hear the guy who is working less than everyone, cry about how they have to do the same amount of work as everyone else now.

If you hit them with the or else statement. Be ready to leave. Cause that's gonna tell them to get your replacement ready. I think the best thing to do is what someone else mentioned, handle the work load for a bit, if the hours are insane, then go to them with that, a month or 2 down the road, be like, 70 hour work weeks are hell and I'm breaking down... get me help or a raise!
I missed typing a word there. There should be an "over" before the 40. My point is, I'm not busting my ass working more than a salaried worker should.

I actually was shopping around for other positions prior to this development. I'm still not opposed to leaving because I assume that's the easiest way to get more income but, as I said, I actually like my job and I value that greatly.

iannis

Musty Nester
I missed typing a word there. There should be an "over" before the 40. My point is, I'm not busting my ass working more than a salaried worker should.

I actually was shopping around for other positions prior to this development. I'm still not opposed to leaving because I assume that's the easiest way to get more income but, as I said, I actually like my job and I value that greatly.
Build an objective case and present it to whoever it is that acts in a supervisory position to you. How long has it been since you've had a re-evaluation of your salary? How long have you been with the company? How annoying would it be for them to break a new guy in? How has your value increased since your first day? Stuff like that. Don't hide the fact that you'd like to stay either, this isn't some hardsell dumbass realityTV show, but don't be ashamed to tell them that you need more money. Put a yearly dollar value on exactly how much you like your job. Continue shopping around because the worst case, possibly even the likely case, is that they tell you "well, in this economy... the budget...". And if that happens then you have another decision to make. It's going to be important how much other people would be willing to pay you to do the job you're doing but in a different building. The research you do for bucking for a raise can serve double duty.

Or... "Yo boss. I'm poor. Hook a brother up, bread ain't getting any cheaper"

It's not being pushy or impolite to ask for more money. They ain't sweating over the moral implications of giving you more work, it doesn't sound like. Nobody signs a salary contract because they're fucking philanthropists.

This seems as good a thread as any to post in regarding my current issue.

I got pulled into HR's office on Friday and they told me they were very happy with my work, and are giving me a 5% raise. I was really happy about that.
Then said that my "bonuses" were going away.

Backstory: I get hired to a company and I get an hourly rate. 90 days later they make me full time and salary. No overtime. I did the math and realized they were paying me
for 40 hrs a week. I work waaaay more than 40 hrs a week. No HR at the time, small company. I talk with the owner and he asks if I can be paid quarterly and we'll call it a bonus to accommodate for the difference. I get money, he pays less in taxes. We agree that he'll just bonus out for 10 hrs a week. 2 years later. The work has increased exponentially. I've helped build the department and the company. They also hired another "me" in replacement of a lower level position, an assistant manager.

My raise of 5% without the quarterly "bonus" leaves me makes over 10k less a year.
HR acts surprised when they see that I'm clearly troubled by this. Explain the reason for the bonus. Explains that now that we have a new Manager I should be
able to work less. Still missing the assistant manager, and by less means I'm not working 60-80 hrs a week.

Feeling undervalued, don't want to leave as I've put so much into building this company and watched it grow. Thinking that I need to talk with the owner tomorrow
about this, not HR.

Other options, suck it up and take the hit. Find another job. Or find another job and negotiate. At another job I could be making my rate or 10 to 20k more easy. I was happy with this company making a little less but this kind of cut feels like a punishment and a bit of a betrayal. Never had to take a pay cut.

I was just about to go through buying a new car, now I'm losing almost the equivalent of what I pay in rent for the entire year.
Hope that I'm doing the right thing by talking to the owner. Or if there is no point. Any perspective on this is welcome.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider

I got pulled into HR's office on Friday and they told me they were very happy with my work, and are giving me a 5% raise. I was really happy about that.

Backstory: I get hired to a company and I get an hourly rate. 90 days later they make me full time and salary. No overtime. I did the math and realized they were paying me
for 40 hrs a week. I work waaaay more than 40 hrs a week. No HR at the time, small company. I talk with the owner and he asks if I can be paid quarterly and we'll call it a bonus to accommodate for the difference. I get money, he pays less in taxes. We agree that he'll just bonus out for 10 hrs a week. 2 years later. The work has increased exponentially. I've helped build the department and the company. They also hired another "me" in replacement of a lower level position, an assistant manager.

My raise of 5% without the quarterly "bonus" leaves me makes over 10k less a year.
HR acts surprised when they see that I'm clearly troubled by this. Explain the reason for the bonus. Explains that now that we have a new Manager I should be
able to work less. Still missing the assistant manager, and by less means I'm not working 60-80 hrs a week.

Feeling undervalued, don't want to leave as I've put so much into building this company and watched it grow. Thinking that I need to talk with the owner tomorrow
about this, not HR.

Other options, suck it up and take the hit. Find another job. Or find another job and negotiate. At another job I could be making my rate or 10 to 20k more easy. I was happy with this company making a little less but this kind of cut feels like a punishment and a bit of a betrayal. Never had to take a pay cut.

I was just about to go through buying a new car, now I'm losing almost the equivalent of what I pay in rent for the entire year.
Hope that I'm doing the right thing by talking to the owner. Or if there is no point. Any perspective on this is welcome.
Definitely seems like the right thing to me. Kind of lame, but if all else fails fall back to a 40 hour work week and just collect your paycheck while applying elsewhere.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

about this, not HR.

Simple math. A wise person once told me that everyone is replaceable, the real question is how many people would be required to replace you. Plus there's the additional cost of disruption to the business, hiring, training, etc. Just be honest about feeling undervalued for your current role. It is wise to discuss prospective value you will add to the company in the future, however be very careful not to choose things that come off as "I'm not willing to put in the effort to do <insert existing job function here> better, but only if you pay me more." If you articulate new responsibilities, industry standard wages, cost of living + time since last pay review, etc. that might help you. If you truly do want to stay with the company, let them know that too and detail some long(er) term plans. Have an actual number (not just 'more'), and be prepared as well to ask what their expectations are for you if they meet your pay expectations. If they tell you they want you to take X,Y,Z responsibilities for the salary you want, take that into consideration in their assessment in your value. I can tell you, I've never seen a raise given 'because I deserve it' (or at least a meaningful one). Ideally, if the owner realizes you have true worth to the company, then it will be a discussion about your future and investment with the company more than additional tasks. But at least you'll know where you stand. If the conversation goes "I'm paying X for Y, but we'll see what we can do" (IE, hiring a replacement is a pain) then you are a cog in the machine and I'd look for other opportunities even if they simply acquiesce and meet you part of the way to keep you.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I've never, ever known anyone that switched from an hourly position to a salaried position at the same company and didn't take a massive per-hour pay cut. Usually along the lines of getting a 20% raise, but then going from 40 to 60 hour weeks.

I guess you have to go to salary at some point if you want to avoid the glass ceiling but I can't see myself doing it. Everything sucks when you're on salary. When its busy you have to stay for 12 hour shifts, but do you get to go home early when it's slow? Nope, still have to stay for 40 and do busy work. Coworker ask for help with something? Enjoy your unpaid overtime helping him or office drama if you refuse him, because your boss still expects you to get all your shit done before you leave.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
In my last job, which I loved, I was putting in 60-70 work hours after being promoted without a pay raise to a new position. I had no problem with the hours because I friggin loved it. After several months, I asked my supervisor for a pay raise in salary after giving her the math of how I was making less per hour than I was before, and every single one of my clients raved about me, and got a 30% increase. She was really cool and easy to talk to. The CEO had no problem with it given that my other people in my position were making way more than I was.

When I resigned, I stayed 3 weeks after I was supposed to to train 2 peeps and make sure my clients, who I cared about, were good to go. They ended up using 3 people to replace me. That number I'm sure is down to 2 or 1 by now, but yeah, everyone is replacable, don't think that you're not. I don't know of anyone who said "they're going to crash and burn without me", and it was true.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Employees Who Stay In Companies Longer Than Two Years Get Paid 50% Less - Forbes

Best way to get a raise: Transfer to a different company. For most people, that is the new reality.
This is just confirming my thoughts.

Update on my situation: I've been waiting a little to show I can handle the workload. I had a meeting with my boss last week and the raise discussion was a disappointing one. I just got future "promises" of being in charge of our team in the west coast within the next year. I'm not doing that. Already started taking interviews and I might accept a new position before the week is out.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had some very similar circumstances last year and it didn't work out for me either, so I recently accepted another job in a completely different field which really threw everyone for a loop... going from non-profit to mega for-profit corporation, everyone treats you like a traitor. People are seriously mad at me, maybe because they realize they are stuck in the shitty non-profit world and I am getting out of it.

Anyways, in talking with my boss about my job responsibilities, they want to split my job into 3 positions after I leave (at least to start) but definitely 2 in the long term. I'm already staying 4 weeks to help with the transition (which is really pointless because they have no idea what they are doing) and they just asked me to stay for 6 weeks which I politely declined.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I had some very similar circumstances last year and it didn't work out for me either, so I recently accepted another job in a completely different field which really threw everyone for a loop... going from non-profit to mega for-profit corporation, everyone treats you like a traitor. People are seriously mad at me, maybe because they realize they are stuck in the shitty non-profit world and I am getting out of it.

Anyways, in talking with my boss about my job responsibilities, they want to split my job into 3 positions after I leave (at least to start) but definitely 2 in the long term. I'm already staying 4 weeks to help with the transition (which is really pointless because they have no idea what they are doing) and they just asked me to stay for 6 weeks which I politely declined.
Fuck em, gotta look out for yourself.

Tell them you'll stay on for a little while and just work weekends or after hours. It'll suck for a little bit, but all that extra cash is worry free.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really like my boss and in the end, none of this is really her fault, plus I think she is envious of me and she'd be leaving too but she is about 2 years from retirement and is just content enough waiting it out. So I did offer to make myself available during the transition process but I'm sure she thinks that means for free which is not really my intention beyond a text/email/phone call here and there. Anything that they'd want me to physically come in, like on the weekends or something, and I'd be asking for money.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Employees Who Stay In Companies Longer Than Two Years Get Paid 50% Less - Forbes

Best way to get a raise: Transfer to a different company. For most people, that is the new reality.
This is pretty spot on. I've been with my company almost 9 years now. Last 4 years have been marriage, home, kids, so I've been enjoying the stability. I've just started exploring options and it's pretty eye opening the opportunities that are out there. Spoke with one person in recruitment and they said me staying in one place for this long is a super rarity.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's the main reason why I started that tech city thread in the other sub forum. I think, long term, staying in a area where your career doesn't have many employers is a bad financial choice.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Anyone have a couple online resources I could use for researching average salary for field, experience, region, etc.?

Thanks

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Glassdoor is pretty good. It takes position/title and region into account.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I got comfortable in this current job, been here 7 years, and now I am going to pay for that. Literally, they are cutting out pay about 25%. I really wanted to keep working here to finish out my MS but I guess it is time to get on the horse.

Finding a job has really changed, the whole process, it is just daunting. I think going forward I will probably not stay in one spot unless I get some cushy government gig.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I really hate that fact. It takes most people a year at a company before you can really start producing good work, and when you're in for two years you know much more about the dynamics of the company and what can be done. Plus I love my job (5yrs in) but wonder if I could make more if I switched.