Assassin's Creed Shadows

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I saw a breakdown for all the AC games today (I can't find it) and every protagonist was squarely in line with the setting.
found it

I'm half Japanese from Hong Kong so I grew up pretty heavily discriminated for my heritage anyways yet I'm always proud of both sides.
Imagine having to play a Chinese dude in Elizabethan England, or a Roman guy during the Three Kingdoms period if they ever become Assassin Creed settings. Sure, these people existed but they would serve better as side characters rather than the protagonist because they can't possibly blend themselves with the local culture.
The problem with having a black character in a game set in feudal Japan is not because of politics, wokeness or whatnot. It's the absurdity of it which I don't blame Ubisoft for doing because well...they're Ubisoft. Sure people bring up Yasuke but if anyone who's actually paid attention to his history would know that all he ever did was draw attention wherever he went. I cannot imagine a black person running around 1500s Japan not attracting the attentions of local lords, or common folk not getting scared by the appearance of a big black dude that they did not know existed. How is one supposed to ingrain themselves in the culture when that said culture rejects the naturalization of foreigners to this day?
Now, usually I'm not one to care about representation because you do you. But when some game is going to tell a story with aspects of local culture, why should you use a foreigner to do so?
Assassin's Creed set in the Levant has a Levantine protag.
Assassin's Creed II set in Italy has an Italian protag. Brotherhood similarly and Revelation, although in Constantinople, is seen as a roundoff to Ezio's story.
Assassin's Creed III set in Revolutionary America has an Indigenous American protag but could've been British, French, Prussian whoever colonized the Americas.
Assassin's Creed IV set in the Golden Age of Piracy has an English protag but he could've been French, Spanish, Portuguese, African that's why we also have Adewale for Freedom Cry.
Assassin's Creed Rogue set in Seven Years War in America has an Irish protag but could've been Inidigenous American, French, English etc.
Assassin's Creed Unity set in France has a French protag.
Assassin's Creed Syndicate set in Britain has British twin protags.
Assassin's Creed Origins set in Ancient Egypt has an Egyptian protag, not the modern equivalent, but could've been Roman as well.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey set in Ancient Greece has a Greek protag.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla set in the Viking Age has a Norse protag but because it's set in England, there could've been an Anglo-Saxon protag as well.
I understand that Naoe will be in the game as well but it might be the first time where I'm not buying an Assassin's Creed since Altair because of how Ubisoft would choose to have a black protagonist rather than a Japanese. All those years we've waited for the franchise to be brought to Asia discounting Jade and Chronicles, we feel slapped in the face by this decision.
Call me racist or whatever but this is just what I believe in and many of my friends in Japan feel the same. However, I'll just have to accept that this is how it's going to be. Hopefully Assassin's Creed Hexe won't have a Chinese witch as a main character.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I hope this is trash because I don’t want to want to play it. I didn’t play Mirage because it was apparently so short and couldn’t be bothered with the dlc for Valhalla, that game was so mediocre at best and downright retarded at worst.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think you're right.

AC1- middle eastern
2/Bro/Rev - Italian - Renaissance Italy
3 - Native American - Cololonial America
Black Flag - Welsh - Cololonial era
Rogue - American Irish - Cololonial era
Unity - French - Revolutionary France
Syndicate - British - Industrial Revolution England
Origins - Egyptian- Ptolemaic Egypt
Odyssey- Greek - Ancient Greece
Valhalla - Norwegian - viking era Norway and England
Mirage - Middle Eastern- Baghdad in the Islamic Golden age
Shadows - African - Sengoku Japan

Reading this article makes it this is the first in a reset of the series follow a lot of sexual misconduct firings. Kinda sounds like an ideological purge, and the series will now be a long line of DEI turds.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yall thought American racial crime stats look bad, here it's just gonna be 1 dude committing most of the murders.

• 8Worf
  • 2Galaxy Brain
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
H Heian thoughts on your company continuing to drive your job into the fucking ground?

spronk

FPS noob
ubi tards will just say you can switch between the two characters anytime and one is a japanese chick so you are racist if you say its fucking weird to play as a giant black dude in 16th century japan

lol just typing that last part makes me laugh, every time you walk around all the NPCs should be screaming and yelling and running away, stealth missions will be amazing

this game will bomb hard, wonder what ubisoft will blame when it does. "gamers don't like games set in japan"

• 1Truth!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol just typing that last part makes me laugh, every time you walk around all the NPCs should be screaming and yelling and running away, stealth missions will be amazing
Literally the only black guy on an island of people so xenophobic they hate other yellow people for not being the correct kind of yellow. Ideal assassin candidate.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
All the YT comments must be paid off people. Nobody mentions the fact you are playing a black NFL dude in feudal Japan.

• 1Truth!

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Bots more than likely - part of Sweet Baby Inc's initiative for public swaying of opinion.

Good news is Bots do not have wallets.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
1715807939342.png

1715807977997.png

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Black-skinned shinobi in black clothes must feel like playing God Mode invisibility cheat.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Man, what a shitshow. I actually really like the AC series and have played all of the major releases, but I'm definitely going to be playing wait and see with this one. Maybe I'll check it out when it comes to Game Pass or something if word of mouth is good.

I shouldn't be surprised anymore at this point, but here I am.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yasuke was real

Granted the game will make up most of his history, but he was a vassal of Nobunaga IRL
Yes there was a man named Yasuke who for a time was involved in the court of Nobunaga. Thats all we know about the guy. There is absolutely zero evidence he was a Samauri or soldier who fought for Nobunaga.

Reality is the guy was most likely an oddity in Nobunaga's court as theres no records of Yasuke before or after Nobunaga's death.