Audiobooks

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So I have recently started reading again (finally), and I am kind of intrigued in this Whispersync that Amazon has. As you guys probably already know, it essentially keeps you synced between eBook & Audiobook, and as someone who prefers to actually read, there are times on a commute/travel I would like to listen when I can't read. Although I like the idea, I don't wanna pay twice for the same book.

Is there anyway to do this with say a purchased version of the eBook & a ripped version of an audiobook, or vice versa? I have never messed around with the Kindle app, and had no idea if you can even import eBooks not directly from Amazon into the app etc.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm mildly curious about that. My solution has been kindle unlimited. There are some books that you get both free. Others you can read free but add audible for 1.99 which is pretty great

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm doing the Audible thing for $15 a month which is cheaper than buying audio books most of the time anyways with the free monthly credit to own it forever.
My issue with the kindle one is that even though you get 10 a month you don't keep them if you cancel and I like that audio book downloads to your device forever( no internet needed after ) so I can listen to it in places with no connection or worry about it expiring.
It takes me about 2 weeks into the billing cycle each month to choose my next free audio book. So many I want but not willing to pay the $23+ price for when I know I am getting one a month.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's not 10 a month, it's 10 at a time. You can return and get more whenever you want. And you don't have to worry about having connectivity, I never have any at work when I'm listening.

Oldbased

> Than U
Just finished Total Cat Mojo by Jackson Galaxy who is the dude who did The Cat from Hell series on TV. Glad I bought this one instead of doing Kindle. Invaluable resource for cat owners. Had lots of dog stuff too but was cat focused. Was fairly long as audio books go at just over 10 hours.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Where do you see this?

Big banner at the top of the front page it says: "Free Echo Dot + $50 Off"

If you click on the deal, it shows Audible for $99. You get $50 off any echo device and Audible for $99.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just did Pet Sematary, read by Michael C Hall. It was great, he did a really good job on the voice acting. Really lied that one.

Ubik is another I did recently, by Philip K Dick, with great voice acting.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Bumping this for more recommendations. Have 6 Audible credits sitting there doing nothing.

Not sure if I'm looking for Fantasy / Sci Fi or Non-Fiction, or both?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bumping this for more recommendations. Have 6 Audible credits sitting there doing nothing.

Not sure if I'm looking for Fantasy / Sci Fi or Non-Fiction, or both?
Have you listened to any Mark lawrance? Prince of thorns series is one of my new favorites and the guy reading it is great, dark fantasy with a twist. Someone here recommended house on mount char, was a great wired listen.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Have you listened to any Mark lawrance? Prince of thorns series is one of my new favorites and the guy reading it is great, dark fantasy with a twist. Someone here recommended house on mount char, was a great wired listen.

Actually think I haven’t read Emperor of Thorns, which reminds me also think I’m missing one book in the Demon Cycle series.

You mean Library at Mount Char? I’ll check that out for sure.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I guess I’m one of the few people that hated Broken empire, and the narration made it even worse.

I did pick up his newer series on audiobook and just finished Red Sister, and I really liked it.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Use a credit on Galaxy Outlaws. It's like 80 hours of audio. It's a series of short stories that's very similar in spirit and feel to Firefly

Galaxy Outlaws

I also highly recommend the Expeditionary Force series (starts with Columbus Day). The guy who does it really nails the shit out of it. The first book is a little slow, but once Skippy gets introduced it's fucking amazing.

Columbus Day

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just finished the A Darker Shade of Magic trilogy. It's pretty good, some of the characterizations are a bit meh but Bard is cool.

Finished the Dreamblood series a while back. I got it became I love the authors Broken Earth trilogy. Its fucking wild though, some crazy egypto-afro-whatever fantasy unlike anything I think I've read before. Only two books but it's enough I think, it's a lot to digest.

Doing the Mars trilogy now. Not sure if I reccomend it or not. The story will be progressing, then there will be like a 45 minute pseudo-climatology lecture. And the books are long as fuck. I love the futurism thing but damn.

Also did Plague Dogs, loved Watership Down since I was a kid, this book is amazing and the voice actor is top notch. Shardik will be one of the next ones I do after I slog through Blue Mars.