AVS Thread

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Currently got:
Denon 2311CI running 5.1
Amazon.com: Denon AVR-2311CI 7.1 Channel A/V Surround Sound Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics
Klispch References
Sammy 8550
Amazon.com: Samsung UN65HU8550 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV: Electronics

I've been having issues with my Denon, I'm running optic to the tv and the amp is cutting the sound in and out every 5 seconds. I've tried a new optic also and all my HDMI channels work fine. Is it time to get a new receiver and how does the new 4k hdmi 2.0 receivers work with a non hdmi 2.0 UHD? I'm curious if samsung offers an update for the HDMI will it ever truly be 2.0??

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you're running everything into the TV, and outputting sound to the receiver? Have you tried reversing that?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why are you running sound INTO your TV? Your source video and audio (DVD, BR, Cable Box) should be running into your Denon AVR. The only thing you should be outputting to your TV is video via HDMI. Basically, your AVR should be the common media hub and only have 1 HDMI output from that AVR to your television.

Am I understanding your configuration correctly?

Now for HDMI 2.0, it's really your AVR as the bottleneck. I think you would be lucky to have 1.2 spec HDMI in there. It's 5+ year old tech in that thing. No one really uses fiber (TOSLINK) for audio anymore. HDMI audio is the way to go for delay correction, etc.

As for your Samsung, the only thing I know they update is the smart TV brain portion of it.Evolution Kit for Samsung Smart TVHowever, I am not even sure if Samsung are still going this route in the future.

You are going to need a new TV for 2.0 just like everyone else. But it's not just your TV, every link in the chain needs to be 2.0 to use those version specific features. Same as it has always been for every previous iteration of HDMI.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, get everything moved over to HDMI and see if you are still having issues.

Cable/Satellite box outputs to receiver via HDMI, then receiver outputs to TV via HDMI. In your setup, you should just be using your TV like a computer monitor, it's there for picture only, all the sound should be provided by your nice surround sound speakers.

While optical *should* work, there's just no point in using it if HDMI is an option. I still have 1 optical device in my setup, my XBOX 360(original model, didn't support HDMI, it's coponent cables + optical), but I'd be using HDMI if I had the choice, it's just so much easier.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Frankly I had problems with my Denon and my Direct Tv box when I was using HDMI for audio. I switched to an optical cable for the satellite sound and the problem went away. My Denon was a piece of crap though and he had to be serviced 3 times before I finally threw it away.

I had a similar issue with my Denon it just keep resetting every few seconds, the HDMI board went out once and came unseated a few times. Probably will never buy another Denon brand because of it. It sounded great before that though.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Denon went through a rencent period after ~2010 where only the higher-end models were made in Japan (quality) and the lower-end ones were being manufacturered in China (junk). The brand's reputation definitely took a hit during this period. No idea where the current models are being produced.

I have had 3 receivers and the only problem I had was with a 2010 model that I was running overcurrent by driving 4 ohm speakers (amp only rated for 8) at reference levels for a house party and melted the damn thing. The other two have run flawlessly.

Alpha

Why are you running sound INTO your TV? Your source video and audio (DVD, BR, Cable Box) should be running into your Denon AVR. The only thing you should be outputting to your TV is video via HDMI. Basically, your AVR should be the common media hub and only have 1 HDMI output from that AVR to your television.

Am I understanding your configuration correctly?

Now for HDMI 2.0, it's really your AVR as the bottleneck. I think you would be lucky to have 1.2 spec HDMI in there. It's 5+ year old tech in that thing. No one really uses fiber (TOSLINK) for audio anymore. HDMI audio is the way to go for delay correction, etc.

As for your Samsung, the only thing I know they update is the smart TV brain portion of it.Evolution Kit for Samsung Smart TVHowever, I am not even sure if Samsung are still going this route in the future.

You are going to need a new TV for 2.0 just like everyone else. But it's not just your TV, every link in the chain needs to be 2.0 to use those version specific features. Same as it has always been for every previous iteration of HDMI.
So I use the smart functions (Netflix 4k, PLEX, and other apps) on my tv which sends the audio to the receiver via fiber optic. I'm not using HDMI because this Denon receiver only allows fiber optic connection via tv source in/output. As far as 2010 Denon models it seems like this model hasn't always been the greatest as far as being user friendly or just plan working the way I want it to. Thanks for the info, hopefully Samsung releases something to upgrade this tv down the line. As far as a receiver, Yamaha and Onkyo still the top dogs?

Was looking at:
Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-A740BL 7.2-Channel Wi-Fi Network AVENTAGE Home Theater Receiver: Electronics

and

Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2-Ch Dolby Atmos Ready Network A/V Receiver w/ HDMI 2.0: Electronics

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I switched to Yamaha from Denon after that horrible experience. I have to say I couldn't be happier. Its been completely flawless. I bought a basic receiver though and am thinking about moving up to an Aventage I like it so much.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you connect a video game console to the TV, aren't you going to have to connect it directly to the TV? The input latency would be horrible going through the receiver and then to the TV, because wouldn't it decrypt it then re-encrypt it on the way out? Or is there some method of direct video passthrough for HDCP complaint devices?

Feien

Ploppers
As far as a receiver, Yamaha and Onkyo still the top dogs?
Yamaha has been stepping up their game recently whereas Denon has been lacking the quality it once displayed. The problem people might run into eventually with today's receivers is the lack of HDCP 2.2 implementation for 4K.

Unless budget is an issue I wouldn't go the Onkyo route.

bho

what is the best resource for reviews, setup guides, etc.? I am buying a condo and need to outfit myself with a decent system

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I use the smart functions (Netflix 4k, PLEX, and other apps) on my tv which sends the audio to the receiver via fiber optic. I'm not using HDMI because this Denon receiver only allows fiber optic connection via tv source in/output...
There is nothing stating you MUST use that TV source as your input on your AVR either. I am sure your TV has an HDMI out, just plug it into something else with an HDMI input on your AVR that you are not using. I have also found that you can go deeper into settings and change the input source type for each connection as well. Maybe you overlooked that?

If you connect a video game console to the TV, aren't you going to have to connect it directly to the TV? The input latency would be horrible going through the receiver and then to the TV, because wouldn't it decrypt it then re-encrypt it on the way out? Or is there some method of direct video passthrough for HDCP complaint devices?
Been routing my PS3 and now PS4 through my AVR to TV and never had any issues. On very time sensitive games games like Rockband, etc they actually have calibration built in for both Audio and Video to compensate for any lag you might have.

what is the best resource for reviews, setup guides, etc.? I am buying a condo and need to outfit myself with a decent system
AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Orcus_sl

shitlord
My 2 cents on 'normal'/notrich AV-

1. Shop Monoprice or Amazon for cables. Do not spend a dime on 'premium' cable/wire. 100% waste of money.

2. Subwoofer is important. Good subs can be expensive. There is a large difference between a dull thud in a wooden box, and a real subwoofer. My subs on both setups need a major upgrade, can easily drop a grand per sub or more though, yeesh.

HSU Researchis a universally acclaimed ID subwoofer company. I've never heard a bad thing said about Dr. Hsu's subwoofers, and they're economical. Good place to start looking imo.

3. I personally would not buy an AVR that did not have an Audyssey implementation on it, the higher grade the better (MultEQ XT32 > MultEQ XT > MultEQ). It is magic room correction/EQ voodoo and it is awesome. Yamaha and Pioneer have their own versions of room correction, but they seem primitive in comparison last I looked. And I'm pretty sure neither EQs the sub, which is the best thing about Audyssey. The last time I checked out the Yamaha version, it only calibrated to 1 position, while MultEQ XT uses 8 different positions in the room.

Marantz, Denon, Onkyo all implement Audyssey. Marantz is the nicest and considered to have the best amps, but I've been happy with my cheap refurb Denons. I have two Denon AVRs, one with MultEQ and one with MultEQ XT, and neither have ever given me issues.

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!is where I bought both of my Denons. One wasn't shipped with a functioning remote and after a short troubleshooting spell a new one was sent without issue. They have a longer warranty, negotiated through Denon, than other authorized refurb outlets. Saved a bunch of money using them, you might want to check them out if refurbs don't scare you. They also carry Marantz/Onkyo/Focal/KEF etc b stock/refurbs.

4. TV. Always monitor slickdeals and get one on sale, you'll save a lot of money over just buying the first thing you see on Amazon/at Best Buy. You are in the process of missing the extinction of the Plasma. I just picked up a 60 inch LG smart plasma for $600 shipped for the bedroom, the LG60PB6650. You can still find remaining stock on sale if you look. And the Panasonic 65vt60 I picked up last year, and raved about on this board, has actually gone up in value from retail. Anyway, barring a minimum of features, screen size is the most important factor. I even prefer cheaper, thicker LCDs because the backlighting is almost totally uniform on them. unlike thin edge lit tvs. I have still, to this day, never seen an edge lit display that didn't have blotchy light patches, bright edges or other uniformity probs. Just bought my sister a cheap 46 inch backlit Samsung for her birthday and it has a great picture and perfect backlight uniformity. Love it.

Have fun!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yamaha offers at least two positions on the receivers that are a year or two old I know, not sure about newer ones.

This is my obligatory periodic anecdotal recommendation for Yamaha. I've owned Yamaha receivers since I bought one in high school in 1985. It made dozens of trips back and forth to college with me and then eventually made its way to a friend's garage. It still works to this day. As does the ancient CD player that made all those trips too, and back then you were supposed to tighten a screw to hold the laser in place if it might get jostled and I never did that.

I've owned 4 or 5 since then, and they all worked flawlessly. Sure I might have had the same luck with another brand, but unless something drastic happens in the future, I will never buy anything but Yamaha. For receivers and components that is. There was a time when I bought some Yamaha speakers and they were absolute shit, so I've avoided those, but the audio components have been nothing but perfect for me.

Alpha

There is nothing stating you MUST use that TV source as your input on your AVR either. I am sure your TV has an HDMI out, just plug it into something else with an HDMI input on your AVR that you are not using. I have also found that you can go deeper into settings and change the input source type for each connection as well. Maybe you overlooked that?

Been routing my PS3 and now PS4 through my AVR to TV and never had any issues. On very time sensitive games games like Rockband, etc they actually have calibration built in for both Audio and Video to compensate for any lag you might have.

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Yeah Jysin, the Audio input selection where you can customize all your inputs is what I'm talking about. It only has 2 inputs for the source "tv" which are OPT1 and OPT2. I think I may swing by Bestbuy and grab a Yamaha!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What I was also saying was plug that TV's HDMI output lead into another input source on your AVR. You can use anything you like.