Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Since the update my game is a total mess. I have never isntalled any mods. When I launch the game I get a large warning on the launcher that the save may have been tampered with or corrupted. Play at your own risk. Verify files on steam and no issues. Go through their list of possible "fixes" linked on the launcher and I don't even have the files they mention that record altered files for mods and such. Get a warning when I load the launcher that takes up the entire launcher. Then as the game loads before you click "load" a save you get another warning you must click through.

So I go back in saves 2 months trying to get one that doesn't have that issue. Finally I find one. Get in game and my characters are invisible. You can click to move and the circle shows and the camera moves when they walk but you can't see them or anyone else. Was originally concerned if I kept playing that patch something might happen in the future to bug out. A mess. I sent support an email, we'll see. From reading reddit apparently a lot of quest stuff you had accumlated disappeared before the turn in and you have to figure out when/where it was and when it disappeared. Guessing they are busy, or should be.
Yo! Good to see you posting my man. Everyone thought you had permanently checked out.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Oh shit didn’t even realize it was him. Welcome back man!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Since the update my game is a total mess. I have never isntalled any mods. When I launch the game I get a large warning on the launcher that the save may have been tampered with or corrupted. Play at your own risk. Verify files on steam and no issues. Go through their list of possible "fixes" linked on the launcher and I don't even have the files they mention that record altered files for mods and such. Get a warning when I load the launcher that takes up the entire launcher. Then as the game loads before you click "load" a save you get another warning you must click through.

So I go back in saves 2 months trying to get one that doesn't have that issue. Finally I find one. Get in game and my characters are invisible. You can click to move and the circle shows and the camera moves when they walk but you can't see them or anyone else. Was originally concerned if I kept playing that patch something might happen in the future to bug out. A mess. I sent support an email, we'll see. From reading reddit apparently a lot of quest stuff you had accumlated disappeared before the turn in and you have to figure out when/where it was and when it disappeared. Guessing they are busy, or should be.
I tried my first save from launch over the weekend and its corrupt. Havent touched the game files or anything - just held off for the patches. Im guessing patching did it, but who knows. Kind of killed my desire to play again right now, but Ill pick it back up soon enough.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Invisible? Good thing you don’t care about character appearances.

Would make it pretty hard to fight and position your characters. No idea if you are close to a mob or not. Also no way to know if you can jump or need to and such.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Note to self, run game through launcher and disable steam update on it until completing current play through (maybe one day)

Borzak

From reading on reddit apparently some people arent getting credit for having to do something or go somewhere for some quest.

Caliane

have you tried a full uninstall, and reinstall? don't have BG3.. but have to do this for bannerlord and some other steam games on occasion..

uninstall via steam.
then go to users\username\Documents\foldername back up, then delete the relevant folder there.
then, go to \programdata\foldername backup, and then delete this folder too.

googling, it looks like bg3's go into; \Users[Username here]\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\
So, try backing up, then deleting that one. and reinstalling.

Borzak

Would that not delete all my local saves since I don't save on Lirians side?

I don't think it's the actual game. I started a new game and saved and when I loaded in I didn't get the mismatch crap and game loaded fine. It just doesn't like previous saves. Not going to start all over. It was a lot of work to play to lvl 9 killing everything. I mean everything. Vendors, companions, anyone possible I kiled it. Cut down on the drama lol. Shar guantlet was kind of a bore fest considering didn't even have shadowheart as a companion or alive anymore by the time I got there.

Best was in goblin fort I ran gale into all the goblins and dropped a a couple of smokepowder bombs and satches before he died. Cast minor illusion on it and all the goblins walked over. Then boom. My computer nearly had a heart attack with all the death and explosion text spam. I got a number of things for inspiration but couldn't read them as they spammed by too fast. I had a bug or something killing the inquisitor. Cloud of daggers and he froze there there I killed everyone else then just two rounds he was dead and I had to reload and do it a number of times to get the game to trigger the cutscene and continue.

They said you could pay any way you wanted. I don't need to have a conversation or sex with you. Boom. Yes I even killed scratch the dog. I think they did a pretty good job getting the DND mechanics in the game. The story to me not so much.

After a while I used mostly hirelings when I needed someone. There are a number of bugs that come and go. Somehow when I checked my previous save from some time back that character had two potions of everlasting vigour on them. Pretty sure those are supposed to be limited to one. I had already used one and now have two. Probably one of those things that happens so rarely and quirky nobody can track it down. I wouldn't even have noticed if I wasn't looking at an old save to see what I had.

Last edited:

Caliane

yes. back it up first. rename the directory to "baldur's gate 3old" or something.
reinstall, check to see its working. then move the save files into the new directory after to check them out.

Corrupted saves are possible too yeah.

Borzak

The changed something, some litst it had to match or something. This afternoon logged in and was thinking about doing a reinstall. NO warnings and I made no changes. No warnings at the launcher and no warning about how it may have been tampered or corrupted and use at risk warning while it was loading.

Oops never mind. Still invisible I guess I'll reinstall.

Borzak

I copied and deleted all the saves and then unstalled the game. In the past sometimes games ask if you want to keep your saves if you reinstall. DIdn't ask anything. So I reinstalled. Somehow got the same saves now that I had deleted earlier.

I copied and deleted the entire save folder but they are back, but at least no warnings and am visible. At least the newest save I had, my dual wielding fighter/barb with two torches.

I only noticed a few days ago if you auto select camp supplies it grossly puts too many. If you need 40 it would 48. If you need 80 it would be almost 90. After I noticed I started paying attention, one time it selected 200 so I started choosing it.

So I guess things are fixed. Might work on finishing with my open hand monk.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Wasn't it the Romans who treated actors, lawyers, politicians, and all other 'professional liars' as about the lowest dregs of society? The Greeks? Somebody a lot wiser than us, anyway.

That's adorable that you think politicians and lawyers were low in the social totem pole. People might not have respected them like they do now, but they were higher tiers of society

Rome is the one who lumped actors with prostitutes in terms of social hierarchy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
A lot of people bombastically called politicians and lawyers lots of degrading things in Rome, and Greece, and everywhere on earth. They are shit talking.

Borzak

Okay now that the save corrupted issue is fixed I'm trying to continue on a party that is only lvl 2. I never stole anything in my first playthrough as it was more fun to just kill everyone. So I tried pickpoceting. Astarion has smugglers ring, gloves of power, and guidance cast on him. On the character sheet I show +6 stealth and +10 sleight of hand.

I watched a few videos and a number of them are lvl 1 and they steal left and right from the vendor in the grove Aaron. No matter how far away from him that I enter stealth when he is looking the other way he turns to me and ask why are you sneaking? I ever turned disabled all the torches and brazier and I mean I can get near around the next corner he turns and ask. I'm doing something obviously wrong that's super easy and I'm super dumb. I stole all the gold I had paid withers which wasn't much so far with no problem.

OK Fog cloud worked but you as soon as you walk away he still will come find you even though you passed your checks. Clueless when it comes to rogues. On my main playthrough I made Astarion a gloomstalker ranger.

Last edited:

Burns

Okay now that the save corrupted issue is fixed I'm trying to continue on a party that is only lvl 2. I never stole anything in my first playthrough as it was more fun to just kill everyone. So I tried pickpoceting. Astarion has smugglers ring, gloves of power, and guidance cast on him. On the character sheet I show +6 stealth and +10 sleight of hand.

I watched a few videos and a number of them are lvl 1 and they steal left and right from the vendor in the grove Aaron. No matter how far away from him that I enter stealth when he is looking the other way he turns to me and ask why are you sneaking? I ever turned disabled all the torches and brazier and I mean I can get near around the next corner he turns and ask. I'm doing something obviously wrong that's super easy and I'm super dumb. I stole all the gold I had paid withers which wasn't much so far with no problem.

OK Fog cloud worked but you as soon as you walk away he still will come find you even though you passed your checks. Clueless when it comes to rogues. On my main playthrough I made Astarion a gloomstalker ranger.
Tip 1: Use a party member to start dialog with vendor, then in the bottom left corner of the screen, it lets you select your thief. Walk up behind the vendor, enter stealth, then pick the pockets. If you get caught, it will cancel the conversation, but until that point, the vendor wont move.

Tip 2: Run your thief/party far away, while the single character is still in conversation with them. They search for your thief in their vision range, and will wander a bit, for 30 seconds or so, then reset.

Tip 3: For vendors in a crowd, use the Fog Cloud like you already found (make sure to still lock them in conversation), walk your rogue up behind them, enter stealth, THEN go into turn based mode before clicking on them to open their pockets. Now you can rummage around their pockets for as long as you like w/o Fog Cloud timing out.

Tip 4: If you don't want to save scum, port 2 of your characters to camp/a long way away. Have your character with misty step, or just high run speed start the conversation, and your rogue do their thing. If the rogue gets caught, try to run away with both characters, but if the rogue dies, no big deal just rez with a scroll... that you have stolen stacks of already.

Bard can be just as good of a thief as rogue, btw. Also, mercs are great for a pickpocket monkey and a buff monkey to tag along for casting Cat's Grace and bard song.

Last edited:

Borzak

Yeah I put cats grace, tried fog, and even tried pass without trace and no matter how far I got soon as I would stealth he would turn to face me and ask what I was doing.

I'll try the talking to the vendor with another character. When I tried fog the vendor got wonky. He moved to try and get outside the fog but I was able to stand in it and pickpocket. Only stole one or two things and it passed the roll I just wanted to see if it would work.

Burns

Yeah I put cats grace, tried fog, and even tried pass without trace and no matter how far I got soon as I would stealth he would turn to face me and ask what I was doing.

I'll try the talking to the vendor with another character. When I tried fog the vendor got wonky. He moved to try and get outside the fog but I was able to stand in it and pickpocket. Only stole one or two things and it passed the roll I just wanted to see if it would work.
You have to lock the vendor into conversation before casting fog/darkness on them. Sneaking up to them doesn't matter. You can see their vison cone in sneak, so you can stand right next to them and go into sneak, as long as you are not in the vision cone in front of them. Once they turn to great you, they will usually return to normal stance after a few seconds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Guess I will try another vendor. I tried entering chat with using another character. I hide and went turn based and there's a half dozen npc's looking right at him all the time. Soon as I hide they all look right at me and he turns.

I'd go back to my other party and go back to kill but I'm in the middle of gauntlet of shar which I am not a fan of.

Fadaar

That guy

the internet is a wonderful place. apologies if this has been shared before this thread has way too many pages.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

Guess I will try another vendor. I tried entering chat with using another character. I hide and went turn based and there's a half dozen npc's looking right at him all the time. Soon as I hide they all look right at me and he turns.

I'd go back to my other party and go back to kill but I'm in the middle of gauntlet of shar which I am not a fan of.
If you are in the Gauntlet of Shar, there is a pop-up message, that you have to hit yes/no or OK (don't remember which), that tells you if you go past "this point" things will change (some vendors may leave). There is a quick travel circle at that exact point, though, so it's easy to go visit vendors, then hope back to it. Also, killing the vendor does not get you the items from the vendor, unless you are using a mod.

For some of the vendors in act 2, you need to lock down the vendor with a conversation with 1 character, then while character 1 is still in conversation, select a character that can cast Fog Cloud (that is not the same character that is stuck in conversation) and cast Fog Cloud on the vendor, the character stuck in conversation w/ vendor, and the Thief. I usually have the thief stand right behind the vendor, and as soon as the Fog Cloud goes up, hit sneak, then go turn based, then open the pick pocket window.

There is one or two vendors in Act 2 (the Inn vendors, I think) that you can't turn on turn-based time next too though. For the one in the tent, if she is in the middle of the tent, you can use Fog cloud to make her walk out back, then lock her down with conversation and just watch for the two pathing mobs, which you just sneak/steal between them being close.

Holding down CTRL will show the vision cones of everyone in the area, w/o you needing to put someone in sneak, which can be helpful for where you want to stop some vendors in pathing. For example, the blacksmith guy at the Inn, has various places in his path where no one (cow) can see behind him.