Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
i read, i think, about half of that article. his arguments seem to be personal taste (not wanting to fight illithids) and simply not understanding the ruleset of 5th edition but blaming that on bg3 itself
My first thought was "has this dipshit not played the ruleset the game is based on?" but he acknowledged it right after the complaint. Seems to be thought it would be one of the things adjusted in the translation to a video game.

Caliane

Author sounds like a bit of an unbearable twit, but still...

The int trap is interesting. Its both a good representation of the difference between Int and Wisdom, and having skill checks that are not automatically 100% better choices, then not having them.
we've all played rpgs with various skills, etc in dialogues, and you ALWAYS pick the special option...
And Curiosity killed the cat.. The high Int just had to know more about the Illithid... the wise sage said nope gtfo.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
lol lirik spent an hour making his character, crashed while trying to load in and lost it,

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, I crashed first when I accepted my custom dude and it asked "Who are you attracted to", and now 3 more times when I rush through character creation and finalize both my guy and my future F-buddy. First two I hit Esc to skip cutscene, third time I sat through the whole thing, just in case, but still crash to desktop.

Guess we'll be waiting to play this one!

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So can you not get attributes past 15 without a racial bonus? I never played 5th edition so I'm confused. Also I can't jump over the gap in the first 5 minutes of the game so I can't progress. I might be a ri-tard though because I can't see any other way past it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The game uses the point buy system for stats, so yes you can't get above 15 without racials at character creation.

In order to jump the gap, look for the "jump" button on the bottom toolbar, I think it's a grey color?

I'm guessing the release version will have a smidgeon of a tutorial where it tells you to do that but it's just not implemented yet. They talked about jumping a bunch in the pre-release videos but the game itself doesn't tell you it's there

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
The game uses the point buy system for stats, so yes you can't get above 15 without racials at character creation.

In order to jump the gap, look for the "jump" button on the bottom toolbar, I think it's a grey color?

I'm guessing the release version will have a smidgeon of a tutorial where it tells you to do that but it's just not implemented yet. They talked about jumping a bunch in the pre-release videos but the game itself doesn't tell you it's there
I tried and my cleric can't jump far enough to clear the gap.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Terial

Trakanon Raider
i opted to not do early access (pay them to post beta test). I'll wait till full release, plus i'm still in the middle of Original Sin 2, so i have time :)
But i am really looking forward to BG3

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Huge fan of 5th edition and Baldurs Gate so this is a blast, needs more everything though. No barbarian class?! COME ON!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm just barely into the game but I'm digging it so far.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well I'm a dumbass I thought I could only jump as far as the white circle but I guess you can jump farther then that. Also do caster types need weapons because it seems like you can just use your cantrips forever and they do a descent amount of damage. I'm playing a drow cleric so I get some cantrip that does 1d8 damage every round.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
it looks just like divinity, so i'll play it for sure

I will say, anyone who is pre ordering this is an ass hole. Never ever ever pre order anything digital. It's fucking retarded and fucks up the whole industry in general.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Well I'm a dumbass I thought I could only jump as far as the white circle but I guess you can jump farther then that. Also do caster types need weapons because it seems like you can just use your cantrips forever and they do a descent amount of damage. I'm playing a drow cleric so I get some cantrip that does 1d8 damage every round.
Correct weapons with a stat boost or a ability will be useful, otherwise you can just use your cantrips. Wizards get a ray and warlocks get a blast both get crazy strong.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I do like the amount of flexibility they incorporate. You can use spells in much more creative ways than before but the flip side is that unlike in Pathfinder the melee classes are kinda dull.

j00t

You can use cantrips forever, just remember that certain cantrips are considered attacks (you roll to see if you can hit their armor) and some are saves (the enemy rolls to see if they can beat your dc). The sacred flame cantrip is pretty weak in that you might only have a DC of like 14. Also, it's a dex save, so if your fighting a rogue or someone who has high dex, you will miss every single time. On the other hand, a big fighter in heavy armor is super easy to hit since they will most likely have low dex.

Point is, cantrips are good but there's still plenty of reasons to hit things in the face as a cleric

• 1Like

j00t

Also, side note... It's pretty normal nowadays, but you can right click on an NPC (enemy or otherwise) and "examine" them. It will give you a brief rundown of their stats, proficiency bonus and any resistances. I kept critting those imps but only getting 3 or 4 damage... Turns out they are resistant to bludgeoning, slashing and piercing

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Should I read the 5e edition handbook to get an idea of what to do? I mean it does seem to play like table top but don't know if there are any differences. I'm so used to pathfinder that I'm having trouble grasping 5e in the game.