Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I haven't gotten the chance to play 5E yet but I like the system as I see it. I like the fact that low level monsters remain a threat because things don't have a 52 AC at 17th level. If you want to make Orcs challenging in a previous version for a high level party, there needs to be a tribe of 12th level orcs hanging out somewhere (like wtf this shouldn't have to be a thing.)

The one drawback to 5E is that is may be limited, but that can easily be fixed with DM creativity, like on items the same way they did in BG2. It's a computer game so you can have little ticks since the game can keep track of them for you, and things that didn't exist in pnp can exist in a pc game. Things like getting 3 fire resist from a helm, 1 from a sword, and 3 more from a ring. Or obscure stuff like +4 saves from sleep and hypnotic effects etc. (The kind of stuff you forget was on your characer sheet).

That was one thing BG2 did well to balance things a bit, and make things fun; quirky as hell itemization.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I haven't gotten the chance to play 5E yet but I like the system as I see it. I like the fact that low level monsters remain a threat because things don't have a 52 AC at 17th level. If you want to make Orcs challenging in a previous version for a high level party, there needs to be a tribe of 12th level orcs hanging out somewhere (like wtf this shouldn't have to be a thing.)

The one drawback to 5E is that is may be limited, but that can easily be fixed with DM creativity, like on items the same way they did in BG2. It's a computer game so you can have little ticks since the game can keep track of them for you, and things that didn't exist in pnp can exist in a pc game. Things like getting 3 fire resist from a helm, 1 from a sword, and 3 more from a ring. Or obscure stuff like +4 saves from sleep and hypnotic effects etc. (The kind of stuff you forget was on your characer sheet).

That was one thing BG2 did well to balance things a bit, and make things fun; quirky as hell itemization.

that's honestly the biggest reason why i enjoy pathfinder: kingmaker. there are SOOOOO many +'s and -'s on every single minute action. when you look at a single attack it's like +3, +4, -4, -4, +2 and it's all situational for every attack. with 5e, once you've made like 4 attacks, you can stop looking at your character sheet until you get a new weapon or level because it's always going to be the same bonus. just roll the dice and add 6. or whatever the bonus is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Baldur’s Gate 3 runs on a revamped version of the Original Sin 2 engine, so expect more of its trademark systemic combos (Divinity speedrunners regularly cart around barrels of death fog – so that they can teleport tough enemies on top of them). Larian won’t say whether combat will be turn-based or real-time, but the environment will impact the outcome of skirmishes.

“What we’re trying to do is make you feel like you’re playing tabletop [D&D] with a very competent Dungeon Master,” Vincke says. “If you play the tabletop game and you come up with something, the DM is going to say, ‘Well, lets roll for it.’”

And yet: this isn’t a Divinity game. The bleak birth of a mind flayer in Baldur’s Gate 3’s teaser trailer was designed specifically to signify a change in tone from the wilfully daft Original Sin. Baldur’s Gate was never short on silly tangents, but took its central story of a world caught up in the sibling rivalry of demigods deadly seriously.

“It’s going to be somewhat darker, more serious,” Vincke says. “But serious topics work much better if there’s a little bit of humour in there, and Dungeons and Dragons is about having fun at the tabletop. So that means there is going to be stuff that will make you smile.”

As in the original game, your adventure will start outside the grand city of Baldur’s Gate – trading hub, playground of iniquity, magnet for world-ending catastrophe – but eventually lead you into its heart. Baldur’s Gate 1 functioned almost as a sparse open world stitched together by loading screens, but the sequel sensibly cut the map count in favour of fewer, more densely-packed areas, which is the approach Larian is taking too.

“We take snapshots, because we have an adventure we’re going to go and do,” Vincke says. “We’re not going to make it one big open-world city simulation. It’s not that type of game.

That popularity has kept the subjects of the series safe, however. The Bhaalspawn may have violently resolved their differences by the end of the original games, but Bhaal himself, the god of murder, is still kicking about in Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus – a new tabletop adventure that precedes the events of Baldur’s Gate 3. And fan favourite characters have been practically frozen in carbonite to ensure they’re still available for adventure.

“If you look at what the Fifth Edition has done, characters like Boo and Minsc are still alive,” Vincke points out. “Bhaal and maybe a couple of other guys are still around. What’s gonna happen with that? You’re gonna discover when you play BG3.”

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Having Edwin as a high ranking red wizard of thay leader that you can take out would be cool. Jaheira could be an insane corrupted druid that went nuts after her husband died and (if) the bhaalspawn told her to piss off after escaping Irenicus' dungeon.

Also, Viconia or riot.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I hope Imowen is in, just for all the butt hurt. Never understood the hate for her :D

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
That's why the hate. Annoying voice poking in all the time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Her character in BG2 was great though. Just hated it that you didnt get her until 2/3 in the game, when you were already set in your group setup.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really don't think all the characters should be coming back. Edwin still being a woman high magus in the Red Wizards of Thay would be funny. Minsc making another appearance is pretty much guaranteed. Jan's shenanigans would continue to be funny...

But I'd like that we just get a bunch of new, well done characters rather than rehash old ones. However awesome they might have been.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I would think doing a new set of characters would be best. BG had BG2 and the various expansions Throne of Bhaal, Tales of the Sword Coast. They've had their time, now a new bunch. Besides if they had old characters in for cameo's and such it's not going to please anyone. They didn't remake them right, they were in for too much, not enough, the list is endless.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I wouldn't want them as companions, just NPC's in place of a few new ones that are involved in quests instead of random dudes

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Right. This is why I mentioned (along with others) that D&D (any edition) doesn't translate well to video games without significant modification. What you are talking about are the tactical, detailed elements of an RPG game that make it really "crunchy." PnP games have to limit those details by necessity, where games built from the ground up as video games can fully commit to them with the full understanding that the digital format of the game is going to be able to keep track of lots of numbers, timers, bonuses, and do lots of math for you.

Not saying it won't be a great game, I'm just speaking to the natural limitations of the D&D system in digital format.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there any word if this will be real time, pause-able combat (BG1 & BG2) vs turn-based hex-move combat (Original Sin 2)? I always preferred the faster paced combat of the Baldur's Gate series.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
GOG were selling the EE games for £4 a piece so I picked them up to start another play through. As tempting as it is to spend hours adding a dozen different mods I kept it light this time round and only used the Trilogy merge mod and Ascension (seemingly this mod changes up the ending to ToB a bit and was developed by one of the original writers). A few hours in and I am entertained - I picked up Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron and Xzar and headed down to Nashkel. Before I'd even made it through two wilderness areas Khalid and Jaheira slaughtered Montaron and Xzar mercilessly for their differing viewpoints.

Only regret is not installing Sword Coast Strategems as the AI is pretty poor and I recall this making it much more challenging on a previous effort. I'm a bit scared to install the mod over the top of the game in progress and I lose it.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Going to crunch down and finally finish BG2.

Any mods I should go with before jumping back in? Mostly looking for QoL stuff and a mod to make companions ignore reputation.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Going to crunch down and finally finish BG2.

Any mods I should go with before jumping back in? Mostly looking for QoL stuff and a mod to make companions ignore reputation.

I don't remember what mods I used last. Generally the EE covers most basic needs. I wouldn't even bother with the ignore reputation thing because no matter what terrible shit you do its nothing some gold to the church doesn't fix!

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Right. This is why I mentioned (along with others) that D&D (any edition) doesn't translate well to video games without significant modification. What you are talking about are the tactical, detailed elements of an RPG game that make it really "crunchy." PnP games have to limit those details by necessity, where games built from the ground up as video games can fully commit to them with the full understanding that the digital format of the game is going to be able to keep track of lots of numbers, timers, bonuses, and do lots of math for you.

Not saying it won't be a great game, I'm just speaking to the natural limitations of the D&D system in digital format.

I'm still pulling for an Xcom like DnD game based on 5e. I think their system could handle the tactical nature of 5e combat. Doubt it will ever happen, but one can dream.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
vinke basically all but confirmed that minsc and boo are going to be in it in some form. there isn't a CLEAR answer how, but general consensus is that they got turned to stone at some point and then un-turned to stone sometime "recently" which would explain why they're still around 100+ years later.