Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
IMG_20200228_105532.jpg

Clearly the Illithids are a major part of the plot as we heard from the gameplay reveal, but they are even incorporating their ships from Spelljammer.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am going to enjoy this QQ about no RTWP for the next year. Thats for sure.

God damn you all are fags.

• 7Like
  • 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I did read one article that gave a well reasoned justification for their preference for RTWP. The argument was they could cue up multiple actions and have lots of simultaneous stuff going on, especially movement and reaction abilities.

I will concede that turn-based games don't have the same cinematic flow due to how much stuff takes place during a single round in a totally sequential order. That was part of the subtle elegance of weapon speeds and casting times that used to be part of RPGs and have since fallen out of favor. It didn't use to be that you started and completed an action before the next person did their thing. There was a tactical choice to use fast casting spells and quick weapons as well as a risk to using long casting spells that could get interrupted.

That having been said, I personally prefer turn based as i always found RTWP to be just a little too alpha-strike oriented as everyone blew their load and then sat around jerking off until their cooldowns were complete.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I know it's alpha/pre-release or whatever but something about how characters moved bugged me. Weird swaying and floating. Also, I hope that the white ring movement indicator is just a placeholder and they go for a classic green. Footprints are ugly as well. Hoping all this is just alpha stuff

also, so much this

What's with the past tense conversation option stuff? That's really weird and hopefully specific to whatever they're showing off, or alpha stuff, or something. That shit would drive me bonkers for an entire game.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
View attachment 251716

Clearly the Illithids are a major part of the plot as we heard from the gameplay reveal, but they are even incorporating their ships from Spelljammer.
Spelljammer was a weird Forgotten Realms box set. Glad to see it get used here though. The Mind Flayers ships were pretty cool.

• 3Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
We got a list of the classes and subclasses we're going to see in the early access. Link

• Fighter - Battle Master, Eldritch Knight
  • Wizard - Evocation, Abjuration
  • Rogue - Arcane Trickster, Thief
  • Ranger - Hunter, Beast Master
  • Cleric - Life, Light, Trickery
  • Warlock - Fiend, Great One
And just to round out the early access info,

Races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Drow, Half-Elf, Half-Drow, Githyanki, Tiefling

Origins: Human Wizard, Human Warlock, Elf (who's a vampire) Rogue, Half-Elf Cleric, Githyanki Fighter

Going to be interesting to see where it goes from there. The usual suspects like Druids, Bards, Sorcs, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs and probably shoo-ins; Dragonborn also look to be features of core DnD nowadays, so they'll probably be in as well. It'll be interesting to see if they'll do any other out-of-left-field choices like the Githyanki. Then there's the question of how many subclasses will show up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
We got a list of the classes and subclasses we're going to see in the early access. Link

• Fighter - Battle Master, Eldritch Knight
  • Wizard - Evocation, Abjuration
  • Rogue - Arcane Trickster, Thief
  • Ranger - Hunter, Beast Master
  • Cleric - Life, Light, Trickery
  • Warlock - Fiend, Great One
And just to round out the early access info,

Races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Drow, Half-Elf, Half-Drow, Githyanki, Tiefling

Origins: Human Wizard, Human Warlock, Elf (who's a vampire) Rogue, Half-Elf Cleric, Githyanki Fighter

Going to be interesting to see where it goes from there. The usual suspects like Druids, Bards, Sorcs, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs and probably shoo-ins; Dragonborn also look to be features of core DnD nowadays, so they'll probably be in as well. It'll be interesting to see if they'll do any other out-of-left-field choices like the Githyanki. Then there's the question of how many subclasses will show up.

C'mon Svirfneblin Illusionist!

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
sven said that all the base classes and races will be in at launch. but i also remember hearing him (maybe someone else said it) that if you have a character that you are playing in a campaign now, you'll be able to build that character in bg3.

so that SOUNDS like they'd be adding in all the extra races/subclasses from all the sources (xanathar's, scag, etc) but that seems... ambitious. i mean if someone who's new to the system wants to build a cleric, there's like 15 or 20 cleric subclasses... that's a lot of information to throw at someone new.

but i also LIKE all the subclasses, so i WANT them to be in

edit: also about rtwp vs turn based... someone said it earlier but D:OS2 didn't HAVE easy fights. i mean some were easier than others but in real time action games, the combat goes so quickly that you have to add in extra fights just to balance the pacing out. if you guys play the PnP versions, a good DM isn't going to throw easy fights at you because who cares? all it does waste everyone's time, including the DM for creating the fight in the first place. the ONLY time your party should be fighting stupid kobolds is when stupid kobolds are actually a challenge. if they aren't a challenge, then put in harder monsters.

i absolutely understand that some people prefer the more frenetic action, and that's fine. but the reasoning given of "easy fights are boring in turn-based combat" is invalid because there should not BE easy fights.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
sven said that all the base classes and races will be in at launch. but i also remember hearing him (maybe someone else said it) that if you have a character that you are playing in a campaign now, you'll be able to build that character in bg3.

so that SOUNDS like they'd be adding in all the extra races/subclasses from all the sources (xanathar's, scag, etc) but that seems... ambitious. i mean if someone who's new to the system wants to build a cleric, there's like 15 or 20 cleric subclasses... that's a lot of information to throw at someone new.

edit: also about rtwp vs turn based... someone said it earlier but D:OS2 didn't HAVE easy fights. i mean some were easier than others but in real time action games, the combat goes so quickly that you have to add in extra fights just to balance the pacing out. if you guys play the PnP versions, a good DM isn't going to throw easy fights at you because who cares? all it does waste everyone's time, including the DM for creating the fight in the first place. the ONLY time your party should be fighting stupid kobolds is when stupid kobolds are actually a challenge. if they aren't a challenge, then put in harder monsters.

i absolutely understand that some people prefer the more frenetic action, and that's fine. but the reasoning given of "easy fights are boring in turn-based combat" is invalid because there should not BE easy fights.
In Baldurs Gate, you had difficult fights but sometimes it felt good to just gib hordes of gnolls.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

An unappreciated aspect of D:OS2. Every single fight was wildly different and interesting. Many had insane, shocking twists. Some could be cheesed when you realized that the fairly weak wizard dying would kill all his summons (dorf lich).

Make all the fights interesting and appropriately challenging.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it looks like it'll be ok.

As long as it's as good as DOS1 I'm fine with it. Larian games tend to fall apart about halfway through... which is either a feature or a bug I think, just how they are. I remember reading something from larian that they pretty much expect you to be OP as shit by the end of the game... because you know, it's a single player RPG. DOS1 outlasted most of their stuff. With the backbone of spelljammer and plenty of source to draw from maybe they'll stay strong until 3/4!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
any word on mods being allowed? if they are, I'm sure someone will take on the jobs to fix the dialogue from past tense, if indeed the dialogue stays as it is

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
How badass was the opening cinematic though? I mean seriously that was incredibly well done and its clear that Hasbro / Larian is going all-in on this. This is exceptionally smart for Hasbro as D&D was very nearly dead 6ish years ago but then Acquisitions Incorporated, Vox Machine, and Dice Camera Action happened and suddenly WHAM. Its best to fuel the furnace lest the light go out again.

• 1Truth!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
D:OS2 has mods and BG2 had mods. No reason to think BG3 wont have them.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
wizards is EXTREMELY friendly to community created content and with how involved with bg3 they are, in tandem with larian's previous track record with mods, i'd say it's a foregone conclusion there will be mods

• 2Like

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
How is that campaign anyway? I've been thinking of trying to find an online group for it in preparation of this

Currently going through it as a player. I recommend it. First part is a jaunt through BG, before you go into Avernus. We're almost to the Avernus part. DM is using the milestone system, so decided to give extra gold when any side stuff happens. We also wound up fighting the bbeg from the beginning part without going through the rest of the "dungeon" because we went a way he wasn't expecting lol.

And if your DM is cool, he'll let you find pretty much any magic item for sell in BG. We decked ourselves out in non-attuned uncommon items and a couple rares (we were able to sell a lot of stuff from our crawl, plus he didn't realize some of the magic gear we picked up was as valuable as it was lol).

• 1Like