Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had only 2 real rough fights. Went to the spider matriarch way too early.

Then that paladin guy at the end of act 2. Just so much burst, he was alternating one-rounding characters.
As stated, if you actually hang on to the fire grenade items you get handed, this fight is mostly about controlling the phase spider adds and dropping the big bug on its ass for falling damage. Then you hope not too many of your crew are poisoned to death when she makes it up to you and starts one rounding dudes. That fight was challenging, but made sense and there was a clear idea of the intent. The Gnoll cave fight is just utter bullshit in design, especially when the game sort of makes it seem like you should investigate the area prior to the goblin town. The solution I arrived at was to abuse the AI by sitting out of LOS and then having the low AC guy go invisible when the enemies got close (because the AI bum rushes whoever has the lowest AC to the point of retardation) so the higher AC characters could do their job. Our group has pretty much abandoned using characters that cannot wear heavy armor at this point, relying on sub class selection and bard casting for the magical utility needs of the group. The cantrips are busted and apply their status auto even when missing, so they are the best spells in the game anyhow in many cases. That and sneak attack archery (carry a crate for your ranged guys to stand on, tada advantage 24/7 for rogue shooters) just rooks anything an evocation mage might do in a fight.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Because one guy in our D&D group (done over Discord and FoundryVTT) was out with a sick kid last night we fired up BG3 for a 4 man playthrough on Tactical.

It was amazingly fun, way more fun than it had any right being especially as 3/4 of us had played through Act 1 stuff many many times.

We discussed what race/class we all wanted but then made a rule that you had to only use randomized character appearances to make creating characters fast.

The system to allow some people to be in conversations and even toss in their votes for what to say while other people do their own thing works brilliantly. At one point we had one person shopping, another person trying to pick-pocket the thieving kids in the druid grove, another person talking to various NPCs etc.

Combat is fast with everyone who shares an initiative able to act simultaneously. It pops up a 'FYI your buddy is also lining up an attack on this' but otherwise the UX stays out of the way.

At one point I was talking to an NPC trying to defuse a conversation while to of the others were roughhousing off to the side and one of them pushed the other into one of the NPCs. The conversation immediately ended and a fight was on...all done seamlessly.

BG3 is truly an amazing piece of work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As stated, if you actually hang on to the fire grenade items you get handed, this fight is mostly about controlling the phase spider adds and dropping the big bug on its ass for falling damage. Then you hope not too many of your crew are poisoned to death when she makes it up to you and starts one rounding dudes. That fight was challenging, but made sense and there was a clear idea of the intent. The Gnoll cave fight is just utter bullshit in design, especially when the game sort of makes it seem like you should investigate the area prior to the goblin town. The solution I arrived at was to abuse the AI by sitting out of LOS and then having the low AC guy go invisible when the enemies got close (because the AI bum rushes whoever has the lowest AC to the point of retardation) so the higher AC characters could do their job. Our group has pretty much abandoned using characters that cannot wear heavy armor at this point, relying on sub class selection and bard casting for the magical utility needs of the group. The cantrips are busted and apply their status auto even when missing, so they are the best spells in the game anyhow in many cases. That and sneak attack archery (carry a crate for your ranged guys to stand on, tada advantage 24/7 for rogue shooters) just rooks anything an evocation mage might do in a fight.
Don't even have to do that though. If you don't have a single wizard with a fire cantrip you can pick up a candle you can find in any house and just dip a ranged weapon into it.

But Astarion, Shadowheart, and Gale at minimum have infinite fire cantrips.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
But Astarion, Shadowheart, and Gale at minimum have infinite fire cantrips.
So I picked an ice dragon because I thought it looked the coolest (and he might be the best looking character I've ever played in an RPG). this conferred an incredible resistance to cold.

I don't know if I took a single point of cold damage the entire game. It was just a wall of fire.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
2) The map is 2D, but the environment is 3D, leading to some frustrating navigation issues where you think there's a path ahead, only to find out its unreachable

There is a black outline on the map that highlights all accessible areas. Some areas require jumping, climbing, flying, etc.

The web spell let's you jump from any height so long as you land on the webbed surface. Feather fall, fly, misty step and just increasing your jump distance with gear/feats are all great too.

When playing single player, I suggest splitting the party up when doing delicate maneuvers so you don't have party members auto following into bad spots.

Also since I haven't really seen it elsewhere, there is a right way to initiating a combat with a split party.

Let's say you set up an ambush and you have characters spread around an encounter all hiding waiting for combat to start. Pick your character that's going to initiate combat. Start things off, but don't finish their turn, manually switch to each other character. They should still be in real time movement and will only switch to turn based once noticed by an enemy or after they attack. Launch their initial attacks and only after you see each of your party members in the initiative tracker at the top of the screen should you return to your initial character and end their turn.

If you have a split party when you stumble into combat and your lone character ends up behind a bunch of enemies in the first turn or is even surprised you can still manually switch to other characters and run them in real time to the combat area while the enemy is taking their turns.

Splitting the party is risky but like anything it can be used to your advantage with a little planning.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I had only 2 real rough fights. Went to the spider matriarch way too early.

Then that paladin guy at the end of act 2. Just so much burst, he was alternating one-rounding characters.
I had the ogre do the dirty work, took his crown after he died and then yeeted (hah ) the spider into the Underdark, all she had was some Robe anyway, was my understanding, I just wanted the gem

Also I acquired the Tactical Nuke from the grymforge mid conversation, and got the gnome to give me the vial too (amusing because she kept pointing at the powder barrel without looking at it, so narratively it works that I lifted it mid dialogue)

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The web spell let's you jump from any height so long as you land on the webbed surface.

What sort of mad genius takes the time and effort to make that work?? Does it require a lot of work? Probably not, but the fact that someone in Belgium took the initiative to do so is *chef's kiss*

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So I'm 30-40 hours in, playing on tactician, without any kind of outside info and no reloads unless main char dies or party is wiped.

It is really hard but if I don't do it on first playthrough I'll not have another chance.

Went half orc barb for my char, tempted to respec into half orc bard since it seems they would cover friendly dialogue through bard skills and unfriendly ones with intimidate.

Managing inventory is really tedious on console.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Because one guy in our D&D group (done over Discord and FoundryVTT) was out with a sick kid last night we fired up BG3 for a 4 man playthrough on Tactical.

It was amazingly fun, way more fun than it had any right being especially as 3/4 of us had played through Act 1 stuff many many times.

We discussed what race/class we all wanted but then made a rule that you had to only use randomized character appearances to make creating characters fast.

The system to allow some people to be in conversations and even toss in their votes for what to say while other people do their own thing works brilliantly. At one point we had one person shopping, another person trying to pick-pocket the thieving kids in the druid grove, another person talking to various NPCs etc.

Combat is fast with everyone who shares an initiative able to act simultaneously. It pops up a 'FYI your buddy is also lining up an attack on this' but otherwise the UX stays out of the way.

At one point I was talking to an NPC trying to defuse a conversation while to of the others were roughhousing off to the side and one of them pushed the other into one of the NPCs. The conversation immediately ended and a fight was on...all done seamlessly.

BG3 is truly an amazing piece of work.
to add to this, my regular dnd group started playing bg3 as well. we play pen and paper on thursdays, bg3 on mondays. anyway, like half the conversations will have our other characters running around in the background. one of us is playing a half orc fighter with no charisma, so he lets others do the talking. since he's played through act 1 already, he's just kind of goofing off while we go through the necessary conversations. sometimes we just see the impact wave of him jumping around the npc talking, sometimes we see him running around in circles acting like a kid without his adhd medicine. it's pretty hilarious.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Managing inventory is really tedious on console.
It's tedious on PC too. It got better when I realized I'd never run out of money and stopped trying to horde n' sell. Managing party inventory is especially haggard.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The good tooltips mod got updated with the recent patch.

Makes looting a lot better. Actually adds tooltips to so much shit that the base game didn't for whatever reason. Also, once a container is empty, it won't pop up when you hit the Show Containers key.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I organize my inventory with bags and pouches for the consumables/scrolls and what not I want to keep and then send everything that I don't need to camp.

When it's time to sell I just access camp at the vendor then overload one party member and dump crap for money by shift selecting all the basic shit and selecting "mark as wares". Then when selling switch from barter to trade and select "sell all wares". Boom done.

I found the inventory management to be pretty decent, especially since I can highlight a ton of items, right click and send them to wherever I need to.

You can even select a ton of stuff then drag it into a container like a pouch.

I would like a mod for more item specific containers that auto sort, like scroll cases or something, though.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I organize my inventory with bags and pouches for the consumables/scrolls and what not I want to keep and then send everything that I don't need to camp.

When it's time to sell I just access camp at the vendor then overload one party member and dump crap for money by shift selecting all the basic shit and selecting "mark as wares". Then when selling switch from barter to trade and select "sell all wares". Boom done.

I found the inventory management to be pretty decent, especially since I can highlight a ton of items, right click and send them to wherever I need to.

You can even select a ton of stuff then drag it into a container like a pouch.

I would like a mod for more item specific containers that auto sort, like scroll cases or something, though.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
just want to know if anyone had a more retarded way of doing gortash fight than me -

went up there with greater invis solo on astarion, popped open the iron flask which had the spectator, then proceeded to solo gortash while he fougth the spectator. then i looted him and escaped without fighting any guards or any dialogue. no idea if i missed a fun mechanics fight or what lol. there was shit glowing on the wallswhich was probablyfor something

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
just want to know if anyone had a more retarded way of doing gortash fight than me -

went up there with greater invis solo on astarion, popped open the iron flask which had the spectator, then proceeded to solo gortash while he fougth the spectator. then i looted him and escaped without fighting any guards or any dialogue. no idea if i missed a fun mechanics fight or what lol. there was shit glowing on the wallswhich was probablyfor something

You didn't miss shit. His 'confrontation' and fight is probably the biggest letdown of the entire game. Almost everything to do with Gortash sucked and was super rushed feeling, including the battle in his chambers.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't really have very deep knowledge of D&D rules, and knew nothing of min/max for BG3. I restarted a few times, because I didn't even know I could change my class. I started playing monk, was like wow I like this, then I learned about hirelings and got another monk. This is better. Then I got 3 monks, you know 4 doesnt sound bad. Now I broke the game. I can just roflstomp my way through anything some of encounters mentioned above I defeated in the first turn. I just got to some camp in the underdark to save some blue gnomes and just killed the entire base as if it was nothing. Since I'm just finishing act 1 I'm going to have to find a way to just stop doing what works because it's too easy. Only issue I see is keeping enough 21 str potions I can't find hill giant finger reagents very often and I buy them when I can or get potion from vendor but having trouble finding enough of them. I don't have to long rest very often but still go through a decent number of them . The vendor that sold them early on is dead now and havent seen another that does since.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You didn't miss shit. His 'confrontation' and fight is probably the biggest letdown of the entire game. Almost everything to do with Gortash sucked and was super rushed feeling, including the battle in his chambers.
Did anyone try to beat him at his coronation? That was the hardest fight in the game I think, and I kind of regret not trying to beat it. The game motivates you to go to the coronation first thing in act 3, but I feel like if I could defer it until near the end of act 3 I could ice him and his watchers.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
Did anyone try to beat him at his coronation? That was the hardest fight in the game I think, and I kind of regret not trying to beat it. The game motivates you to go to the coronation first thing in act 3, but I feel like if I could defer it until near the end of act 3 I could ice him and his watchers.
i almost jumped him when he first talked to me face to face. i think i didn't do it because...i was worried the consequences would cause chaos in the city. Since the whole room of nobles would likely come at me heh.

I actually snuck in, invisible to rescue the duke's helper lady. then i invisibled in to go to another thing, and on the third time i said "fuck it. i'm jsut murdering my way in" and i smashed into his chamber and fought him. basically as one of the very last things before the end. fighting him in the chamber is basically just shit loads of aoe traps firing off randomly

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

I think you could do it if you were able to get a stock of the blind bombs from the gnomes beforehand. The watchers are immune to nearly all other CC and trying to keep 6+ of them off you at once would be pretty rough without those.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
the first time i killed him was at coronation but ended up reloading because didn’t want to take out the grand duke (at time I didn’t know there was going to still be a way to bring him back). I took both rune powder bombs, the one I stole in act2 and the other the gnomes gave me in act 3, loaded up a buncha smoke powder barrels, had astarion drink a potion of cloud giant strength, greater invis’d him and dropped all that shit around gortash. Then I used mage hand to put a few more because greater invis was breaking after the 7th barrel drop or So. So after placing around 20+ explosives, I got up the ladder, fired a smoke powder arrow at it and one tapped him.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like