Batman: Arkham Origins

Seventh

Golden Squire
That is what it feels like when I play through it, an imitation of an even better game. What a shame.
Only a few hours into it, but that's the vibe I'm getting from it as well. Something feels off about it, definitely.

I think I'd like it better if I could turn off all of the arcade-y score crap. Edit: Just like the Kotaku review points out.

Every fight judges your performance and grades you, so instead of the world being immersive, you're constantly being reminded of the game-iness of the whole thing.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it was bad enough in AC that the xp system made you feel obligated to go through the motions of using every gadget once each per fight in order to get the max bonus. They didn't need to make it even more of a distraction by adding a scoreboard too.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm torn on the scoring stuff. It is very in your face and breaks immersion, but it also makes me want to do better so I can see "Apex Predator" and shit. It's nice being reminded of how awesome I am.

On another note, hard is fucking hard until you get the swing of the timing changes (if you're a veteran of prior arkham games).

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So every time there's an occasion for me to stand on a raft and pull myself towards an anchor on a wall I invariably get stuck on the environment (or in one case during a certain villain sequence the damn raft spawned on land forcing me to continuously fail until it spawned appropriately). Is this a PC only thing too? -.-

I've encountered a few other one-off bugs here and there. It's not Fallout 3 levels of buggy (no CTD's for me... yet) but I can't go an hour without something that completely halts my progress on whatever I'm doing.

All in all I think the new studio did a great job taking over from Rocksteady but this is definitely rough around the (polished) edges.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm torn on the scoring stuff. It is very in your face and breaks immersion, but it also makes me want to do better so I can see "Apex Predator" and shit. It's nice being reminded of how awesome I am.

On another note, hard is fucking hard until you get the swing of the timing changes (if you're a veteran of prior arkham games).
It's pretty difficult. It requires your attention at all times basically. If you're in a predator scenario and you expose yourself, you're pretty much dead. I have fully upgraded gun armor and I still die in like 3-4 hits from guns. In melee combat scenarios if you're not countering or evading every attack you're going to die. I've died on random side quests where you just have to like stop a crime here or break down a Penguin gun supply. Little shit that just has like 5-8 mobs guarding it.

The boss fights are challenging, however if you're playing on the PC there's some gamebreaking bugs that make it even harder. If you use Batslam. (Batclaw + Pull in to you + clothesline) you can and more than likely will knock the boss through the world bugging out the encounter and forcing you to reload from a previous time. It's happened for Deathstroke and Deadshot for me. It realllllyyy made the Deathstroke fight hard.

I don't think the game was tested on PC at all, because these kind of bugs are just shit that I'm running across that aren't out of the ordinary.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
When you first meet Electrocutioner was 50 times harder for me than Deathstroke. I actually looked it up on youtube to make sure I was doing it right and it wasn't bugged.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm playing on hard too so I feel your pain. Deathstroke probably took 3-4 attempts before I beat him (and even then it was just barely). I was too noob at that point to use the batclaw/slam. I tried chucking the batarangs at him and he dodged them so I assumed all gadgets were off limits.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Basically I would counter, attack twice and then push off to avoid counter, until in corner then attack to flip him over and batslam while flying away and it would hit every time. Unfortunately it would also bug the game out.

In the Deadshot encounter I performed a beatdown and ended with a takedown combo, knocked him up, batslammed and he actually DIED. The encounter just stopped, I got XP and just at there with my dick in my hand. He was at like 50% health.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm about 60% in the game, and it has grown on me.

I think its a worthy sequel to franchise.

The bugs tho, i hope they patch quickly. Ive been locked in a tower, fell through the world multiple times, and dive bombed myself into objects with no way to get out.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Game is tough to play with keyboard and mouse, though I've just started it. Since I'm getting a PS4, I washopingthat the PS4 controller could natively connect to the PC wirelessly, but early reports have stated no so far. I really have come close to buying a 360 controller for windows, but I manage fine with most games using k/m and I'm not a huge PC gamer anyways.

Solariss

Golden Squire
Yeah, appreciate that, but I'd have to get the entire controller also since I don't have a 360... so I'm on the fence about it because once I get a ps4, I probably won't touch any games on the PC other than random MMO's

edit: also, would be playing Batman on my ps3 if it didn't die 5 months ago!

Sean_sl

shitlord
Played this for many hours last night with the PS4 controller.

PiRE1UG.gif

Solariss - you can connect it to a PC via a bluetooth receiver, but a lot of people are having trouble getting it working right now (not sure which receivers specifically work) or you can connect it via USB which works flawlessly, it's great.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I picked it up on Steam, and enjoying it so far. I'll have to avoid the Burnsey comms tower, I didn't see anything patched yet =\

It runs like a dream, usually a solid 60+fps with everything maxxed, but sometimes when it goes for that 'last kill' slow motion shot when you finish off a group, it literally gets 0 FPS for 20 seconds, something funky going on..

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
"Workaround" for Burnley tower.
Took me maybe 5 minutes to do after I realized I need to set the controller down and use the Mouse and Keyboard. on a side note, a rage punch to the Right Trigger on my Razr 360 controller fixed it (and hurt my knuckles), so now I don't have random moments where I'm going in for a dive bomb on 10 mobs and the game decides it's time to stop diving for no reason.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
So does this have all the same gadgets again? Because that was my big gripe (only gripe) about Arkham City. I'm hoping for a pc patch or two before I dive into this but its hard to hold off.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So does this have all the same gadgets again? Because that was my big gripe (only gripe) about Arkham City. I'm hoping for a pc patch or two before I dive into this but its hard to hold off.
I'm probably about halfway through and everything is pretty familiar except for one or two gadgets. Some of the combo stuff that you were granted immediately or with minimal effort in the last two are locked behind achievements and upgrades this time around (I think I prefer it this way).

On that note, I really wish it would display progress on multi-item Dark Knight tasks. I took 10-15 minutes to make sure I was doing all of the required takedowns for the Rank 6 Takedown Variation and apparently my explosion takedown was credited as something else - but I didn't know until the new checkpoint had been saved.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's different gadgets, and the Wayne Upgrade gives the current gadgets some pretty awesome flair.

The whole GOTHAM PROTECTOR, WORST NIGHTMARE, ETC. Progression shit is so fucking dumb. I'm stuck on the nightmare one because for some reason the game wont register me distracting people with the Sonic Batarang and then taking them down.