Battery operated lawn equipment?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have .5+ acre so no dice for electric. Besides, the shit is too expensive. You can get a good gas weed eater/blower for about $90 which will last you at least 3-4 yrs. Same with the lawnmower, they can be had for about $300-400 for a self propelled model too. Maintenance wise, just make sure you use new gas for the trimmer, blower every season, and lawnmower change oil every 2-3 yrs and turn off the fuel supply line every fall and burn the rest of the gas in the cup. If you dont, you will get gelatin type shit forming in the cup because todays gas has ethanol in it and it attracts moisture/water.

Cons is that its louder than the electric. My neighbor has the old school corded elecric and its funny when hes dragging around 200ft of cord behind him trying not to run it over, lol. The fucker uses some hearing protection too. For an electric mower thats quiet as hell.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Electric weed whacker does my ~2 acres just fine. Lawn mower, probably not, I still use gas for that.

To be fair, I don't trim EVERYTHING. Grass around trees and fences, fuck it, don't care. I mainly whack shit that gets in the way or would be dangerous to the mower if covered up.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Those gas trimmers are basically throw away items now they are so cheap. Its like you run out of spool, you throw it away and buy a new one. I think the last one I bought was $79 at home cheapo. I dont care how good the electric one is, Its just not worth it IMO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You'd rather pay for a new trimmer than a spool? Even just the hassle of getting rid of the old one makes that a loser.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Spools just clip in, for the most part. I can't even imagine wanting to throw the whole damn thing out for lack of a spool, lol.

I've been contemplating getting one of the metal trimmer addons instead of a spool, but knowing my luck, I'd take a foot off with it instead, even with the guard in place.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
IT was just pointing out how ridiculously inexpensive the gas powered trimmers are. Of course I dont thow them out when a spool is done.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lowes had some good deals over Memorial Day and I picked up a new Electric Lawn Equipment package. I got the mower for $250, blower for $90, and trimmer + battery for $160. I went with the Green Works brand 60v variety.
Battery Life/Recharge: It boasts over an hour of run time, but I got maybe 40 minutes out of the mower. Luckily, it only takes about 30 minutes to recharge. Maybe it will normalize and have better performance after a few charge/discharge cycles.

Mower: The push button start could not be easier. For me, the mower is light and moves around without much effort. It did not seem to lack for power and the cuts were super clean. There were a few spots where the grass was longer and thicker. The mower seemed to sense this and kick itself into a higher gear. I could hear the blade start to whirl up at higher velocity. I was impressed.

Trimmer: About the same as previous electric trimmers I have used. It gets the job done.

Blower: This thing is legit. It has twice or three times the power of my previous blower. I thought you could only get this kind of power out of gas blowers. It is awesome.

Summary: I was hoping to get all the mowing, trimming, and blowing done in one battery charge, but it does not look like the 60v 2-amp battery will be up to the task. I am going to watch the prices and sales to see if the 60v 5-amp battery comes down in price. That should cure my only complaint. Other than that, they all seem like phenomenal tools.

841821024284.jpg

841821025038.jpg
841821024215.jpg

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I bought this:
Amazon.com : GreenWorks 25322 G-MAX 40V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower, (1) 4AH Battery and a Charger Included : Walk Behind Lawn Mowers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It's OK, not great. The battery life is enough to finish my lawn. If you're particular about your lawn, It doesn't cut it that evenly. It's quiet, light and easy to use.

I also got this:
Amazon.com : Ryobi P2052 ONE+ 18-Volt Cordless String Trimmer/Edger - Battery and Charger Not Included : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It's a piece of shit. From the time I got it I've needed to manually feed the spool, and it's extremely weak.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm upgrading the status of owning battery powered lawn equipment from dickless to shrimp dicked.

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I have all the EGO stuff. Mower works great for what I have as a lawn - small front yard in Phoenix area. 56V and no problems on time - roughly an hour depending on length and other factors. Quarter acre lot or bigger might need a couple batteries.

I also have a couple of the EGO stuff. We bought the leaf blower and the weed trimmer. They both do exactly what I need them to do, and with 2 batteries I can easily get everything done.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
going to put a bid on this type of house
Lot
0.27 acres

can i get away with battery operated?, i really don't want to deal with another "engine" spark plugs/gas/filter/etc

i'm thinking of this on amazon
sunjoe

It looks like a childs toy, but it's got tons of good reviews (and a few bad ones), it's corded, so i don't think i'll have a battery issue, also i've been vacuuming with a canister, so it's not like i'm not used to a cord dragging behind me.

or would it really be best just to spend the same amount of money on a gas motor and be done with it? (it's a small property, i don't need a behemouth, but i'm sure i'll miss a few days of mowing)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would rather cut grass by hand with scissors than use a corded electric mower. WTF is that shit?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I used a corded mower on a ridiculously small plot when I rented a single wide trailer. It was a pain in the ass then and I wouldn't recommend it for my worst enemy. I have the 40v kobalt battery mower and it handles my .25 acre in a single charge without dealing with cords, gas, oil, plugs, maintenance etc etc.