Ben-Hur remake

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
There really is nothing that can defy the great Recycletron-5000 that is modern day Hollywood. And from the trailer it looks like we get 2 remakes for the price of one with this one boys; Ben-Hur and Gladiator. I did like seeing Mormont again though.

Siliconemelons

Never watched the first, read the wiki on first movie and the source book(s) .. I think its funny that the new movie director or whatever lauded the writer for re-writing the entire thing based MORE on the source material... lol?

Juvarisx

Florida
Poor William Wyler, his movies deserve better then this.

If this makes any money at all Lawrence of Arabia is next and it will be a very sad day.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
7905-1505.gif

Szlia

Fun fact: my late grandmother, when she was a child, saw a screening of the original Ben Hur. And I mean the 1925 silent film.

Having the 2016 version be close to the book is strange when you consider this part from the wikipedia article about 1959 film: "The screenplay differed more from the original novel than did the 1925 silent film version. Some changes made the film's storyline more dramatic. Others inserted an admiration for Jewish people (who had founded the state of Israel by this time) and the more pluralistic society of 1950s America rather than the "Christian superiority" view of Wallace's novel."

spronk

FPS noob
its interesting to see the 1959 trailer (Heston's version), the images just kind of really pop on screen and it all looks so colorful and gorgeous, whereas this version looks so CGI'd. Although the 1959 version has some amazingly bad acting

Its also kind of a super religious movie, especially near the end, wonder which direction this one goes in. Feels very Spartacus'ish in how Messala treats Ben-Hur's family.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While watching that trailer i couldn't decide what's more distracting: Rastafari Freeman or the excessive use of CGI.

Siliconemelons

its interesting to see the 1959 trailer (Heston's version), the images just kind of really pop on screen and it all looks so colorful and gorgeous, whereas this version looks so CGI'd. Although the 1959 version has some amazingly bad acting

Its also kind of a super religious movie, especially near the end, wonder which direction this one goes in. Feels very Spartacus'ish in how Messala treats Ben-Hur's family.
The book and the 50's movie both have the crucifixion and turning point of the main character whos life has been consumed with vengeance choosing to follow Christ and realize that vengeance was not the point, and him saving his captain from killing himself after the ship wreck, and saving his fellow gally slaves, and him being NOT chained - so I still don't see how the new movie is MORE like the book lol, hence my ...? above.

It does look like they got a lot of gladiator and Spartacus Rome hate going on and that seems to be the focus - I am sure the ending is overcoming the evils of Rome! not "Jesus' sacrifice showed me that vengeance and death is not the way."

Either way, if it spends a crap ton of money to be made it will be just like its daddy!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Probably not the best idea to remake an epic movie than won an academy award for best picture along with about a dozen others. I think it won every award available that year except best adapted screenplay due to the way they credited it in the movie.