Best 80's Action Movie and Why it's probably Die Hard

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Hopefully you guys remember this masterpiece of action.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
All that follows is just my opinion of course.

Predator is the seminal 80's action flick due to the way it flips the script brilliantly on our beloved action heroes. Die Hard is unquestioningly the better movie however I feel as an action movie Predator is just THE eighties action movie. Robocop, Road Warrior, and many others are like a very close 3rd to both Predator and Die Hard and it is a close race between those.

However, all of them suck compared to...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Predator is the seminal 80's action flick due to the way it flips the script brilliantly on our beloved action heroes. Die Hard is unquestioningly the better movie however I feel as an action movie Predator is just THE eighties action movie. Robocop, Road Warrior, and many others are like a very close 3rd to both Predator and Die Hard and it is a close race between those.

I found Miami Connection a couple of years ago for a buddy of mine who is a HUGE 80's action guy, literally had every movie of guys like Arnold/Stallone/Seagal/etc. Still haven't watched it myself, but he said it's so epic bad that it's good.

Btw, has anyone brought up Best of the Best? Didn't read every post.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Epic bad deserves its own thread. I could talk about those films for days. The old MST3k crew have covered a lot of them on Amazon Prime.

Gary Graham is the 80s Shatner

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Epic bad deserves its own thread. I could talk about those films for days. The old MST3k crew have covered a lot of them on Amazon Prime.

Robot Jox actually got a pretty good remaster for the blu ray. I sent a copy of it to my nephew and he loves how bad it is.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Robot Jox was the Pacific Rim of our time.

Also don't hate on our shitty 80's special effects.

tumblr_ou1cyicLOI1qc3ju8o3_500.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Ain't got shit on Sho' Nuff. Best last fight ever.

Chanur Chanur , love the new avatar. I need to update for my 80s revival!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
oh my what fun movies to watch, the last dragon was ...AWESOME...when i first saw it..

i loved jackie chan movies, etc etc etc etc.

soo many movies, sooo little time (and so fucking few are available)

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
So last night I had Best of The Best playing in the background while I made some tamales and I ended up not eating until 1am because I had to watch the entire thing from the start and then spent an hour online watching karate clips.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Ask yourself what would be one movie to watch all over again for the first time and for me it's Predator by a mile. The alien reveal, the final fight, the jungle chase - there are just so many "holy shit!" Moments.

But especially the partial alien reveal in the tree, then the full alien reveal after the waterfall chase and then the mask reveal at the end. I'll never forget that crab face.

For me it's close but I go Aliens followed by Predator, for a lot of the same reasons you cite. Ripley meeting the Queen, Bishop getting ripped in half, etc. are similarly great "oh shit" moments that completely stand the test of time in my opinion. Movie has a ton of great quotes as well.

I mainly pick Aliens over Predator because I love the Ripley character and think it's the gold standard for how to portray a good female action hero. Predator is the gold standard of telling everyone to go fuck themselves and producing a unapologetically testosterone fueled action movie.

Good thread, Screamfeeder Screamfeeder .

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Best Schwarzenegger movies are Commando and Raw Deal.

Worthy action adventure standouts yet to be mentioned are Daryl, Superman 2, Cloak and Dagger.

Best 80s movie of all time is Conan the Barbarian.