Best Covers

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That one is weird though because the original versionisthe Mott the Hoople version. Bowie wrote the song, and he did record it later after Mott the Hoople, but it wasn't released until many years later.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That one is weird though because the original versionisthe Mott the Hoople version. Bowie wrote the song, and he did record it later after Mott the Hoople, but it wasn't released until many years later.
Definitely a tricky one. Bowie did record it in '72, but never released that version for many years, but did perform it live in '73 on tour, and was on his live album in '74.

You are correct though Mott did officially record, and release it first. I have broken the thread...

Interesting tid bit I didn't know in digging deeper into this. Mott turned down the first song Bowie proposed to them which turned out to be Suffragette City.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Nothing can touch the original, but this gets better and better as it goes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Necro because the original was on the radio and this belongs in any cover thread:

Plus the ancient production of the original just sounds so bad compared to what Sabbath has done with it since.

Jive Turkey

Karen
In honor of Bowie. I actually prefer this over Bowie's version.

Also RIP To Dale Griffin, the drummer who just very recently passed as well.

Not to be a pedantic cunt, but this isn't technically a cover. Bowie wrote itforMott the Hoople. The Bowie studio version wasn't even released until the 90s, though he would play it live in the 70s

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Metallica So What? (Anti-Nowhere League song)

Metallica Die, Die My Darling (Misfits cover)

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Maybe not thebest, but absolutely one of the oddest. Rob Halford and BABYMETAL perform "Painkiller" and "Breaking the Law"