Best resource to learn SQL?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Specifically the Microsoft products. My new job will involve working with SQL and I want to get up to speed ASAP.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
rrr_img_105801.jpg

/thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea you really want to learn SQL Server itself, its version of SQL and default optimization varies slightly from other DBMS. Whatever book or course you take I'd also get a edu or eval copy of SS because honestly the interfaces of the various tools are far more confusing than just basic SQL code.

Unless it's Access, which means you will want to learn SQL and VBA.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Specifically the Microsoft products. My new job will involve working with SQL and I want to get up to speed ASAP.
This has some pretty good beginner stuff and I'm pretty sure it's all free.

SQL Tutorial

This has decent beginner stuff, and some good intermediate/advanced stuff. I don't remember how far the free stuff goes with this one.

SQL Server, SQL DBA, MSBI - Trainings, Placements, Job Support

Sorry that's not the most detailed, but it's been a couple years since I used those. I'm pretty sure w3schools is the most beginner friendly. Most questions can be answered with google once you have the basics down, unless you're doing advance stuff...selects within selects within selects can get pretty crazy.

Do you know what kind of database you're going to be querying? I'm guessing Oracle, but you never know...we do Oracle and DB2 (which blows).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
any idea where i could score a legit copy of sql server on the cheap?
The price for that is pretty much fixed based on how many physical processors you have in your server-- there really aren't "deals" to be had on business software. Why do you want a legit copy to learn off of? It's expensive and doesn't require an activation key.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Do you know what kind of database you're going to be querying? I'm guessing Oracle, but you never know...we do Oracle and DB2 (which blows).
He said Microsoft SQL. Fuck Oracle databases, fuck the company, and most of all fuck Java. When we need to upgrade our SQL server with a service pack I take a snapshot, double-click the installer, and come back 30 minutes later to a completed upgrade. When we need to upgrade Oracle, we have to pay some consulting firm $10,000-$20,000 for them to spend days doing regression testing in a development environment, followed by at least a full day or two to upgrade production. This btw isn't because we have Oracle developers making custom DB's and stored procs-- this is to support Oracle Financials, so you'd think it would be a simple upgrade. Oh, and now you want Java upgraded on the server so it isn't a gaping anus of security vulnerabilities? That'll be another 10K, thanks. Fuck Oracle. Most companies are at least smart enough to get English people to sell you shit before dumping you on Indian support. Not Oracle-- you'll have hodji calling you over some shitty voip line at least weekly trying to sell you more Oracle shit.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This has some pretty good beginner stuff and I'm pretty sure it's all free.

SQL Tutorial

This has decent beginner stuff, and some good intermediate/advanced stuff. I don't remember how far the free stuff goes with this one.

SQL Server, SQL DBA, MSBI - Trainings, Placements, Job Support

Sorry that's not the most detailed, but it's been a couple years since I used those. I'm pretty sure w3schools is the most beginner friendly. Most questions can be answered with google once you have the basics down, unless you're doing advance stuff...selects within selects within selects can get pretty crazy.

thanks for that -- SAP and Oracle will likely be the focus, at least starting out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Why did you say "specifically Microsoft products" in your OP?
Yeah, I could tell he didn't know a lot about it based on what he wrote. Why? Cause I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been doing SQL for 3 years or so and don't know the correct terminology all that well.

I agree about the Oracle support, it blows talking to Indian dudes, especially when you don't know exactly what you are asking them for.

It doesn't blow as much as DB2 though...boss went with DB2 cause it's free. "Oh it's free? Must be awesome then, let's do no research and go with that" Nevermind we're a mutlibillion dollar profit company, fuck it, it's free!!!

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
He said Microsoft SQL. Fuck Oracle databases, fuck the company, and most of all fuck Java. When we need to upgrade our SQL server with a service pack I take a snapshot, double-click the installer, and come back 30 minutes later to a completed upgrade. When we need to upgrade Oracle, we have to pay some consulting firm $10,000-$20,000 for them to spend days doing regression testing in a development environment, followed by at least a full day or two to upgrade production. This btw isn't because we have Oracle developers making custom DB's and stored procs-- this is to support Oracle Financials, so you'd think it would be a simple upgrade. Oh, and now you want Java upgraded on the server so it isn't a gaping anus of security vulnerabilities? That'll be another 10K, thanks. Fuck Oracle. Most companies are at least smart enough to get English people to sell you shit before dumping you on Indian support. Not Oracle-- you'll have hodji calling you over some shitty voip line at least weekly trying to sell you more Oracle shit.
Had this with Peoplesoft. Had two consultant firms. Neither could do the upgrade and gave up. Still got charged.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Larry Ellison's yachts don't buy themselves!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm in the process of teaching myself sql for work as well. Since I have a little Access experience I'm using it for now to get one of the projects up and running. I'm mostly creating reports and dashboards that pull info from our ERP and CMS. Both are on MSSQL 2008 servers as far as I know.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
JVM vulnerabilities are almost always related to security managers or the browser plugin, if you aren't using the SM to try and sandbox an application they aren't relevant for a server. You're significantly more likely to have problems from the application and the libraries running on the JVM.

If you're interested in learning SQL generally, just use MySQL e.g. install XAMPP which will give you apache, php mysql and phpmyadmin (web based management interface for mysql). You won't have to deal with the proprietary crap and server management loading down Oracle, DB2 or SQL Server.