Beyond All Reason (RTS)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
"Spiritual successor to Cavedog's Total Annihilation". Currently free.

I've only played it for about 5 minutes so far but, yea....it feels exactly like a newer TA.

1673211553738.png

Last edited:
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
TA is the best RTS of all time.
This is basically Total Annihilation remade. All of the OG units are here, sometimes with different names. Annihilator, Fat Boy, etc. Look at the post above this. The base of the annihilator that's firing looks just like the OG one. It's awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone played this and Zero-K? Same RTS framework or something right?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I played 3 games of this last night, against AI, and absolutely love it. I found it because I was looking for something like TA and one of the developers posted about it on a reddit thread.

A few QOL things I don't remember being in a the original TA:
* Actions can be queued up on vehicles still under construction

* Factory rally points can use guard/patrol (construction plants can be set to guard themselves, outgoing construction vehicles will automatically assist when completed)

* Shift-drag to build multiple buildings (like solar collectors) in a row

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I played 3 games of this last night, against AI, and absolutely love it. I found it because I was looking for something like TA and one of the developers posted about it on a reddit thread.

A few QOL things I don't remember being in a the original TA:
* Actions can be queued up on vehicles still under construction

* Factory rally points can use guard/patrol (construction plants can be set to guard themselves, outgoing construction vehicles will automatically assist when completed)

* Shift-drag to build multiple buildings (like solar collectors) in a row
All of those features were in Supreme Commander, I'm kinda wondering how this is any different?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
All of those features were in Supreme Commander, I'm kinda wondering how this is any different?
I didn't really like supreme commander and didn't spend much time in it.

Were they in the original Total Annihilation?

Goonsquad Officer
yea supreme commander you could make a factory build a tank. have it move to a staging ground where it would wait for each other assembly of 4 battle tanks, a shield generator, 2 artillaries and 3 anti aircraft guns. then when all of them are ready. they move out. IN formation with battle tanks up front. shield generator in the middle . arties and aa in the back. and stay that way the whole time.

moving out could be "go move-attack" here. or it could be "go to this airlift point and board an airlift which takes you across the river" and once on the other side you attack. in the case of planes you could have them move to a storage pad (or aircraft carrier) and then that carrier may have patrol routs it launches on.

supreme commander and C&Cgenerals are my pick for the best evolutions of non-micro/hero gameplay. i thought they brought new zazz to the field way more than starcraft 2 even. though starcraft 2 was a WC3 style "click them actions and use them hero powers!" game which i don't really care for.

Generals and SC had these great units where a tank would have like...a main gun. some anti infantry guns. or AA guns. and a few missiles that replinish slowly. basically all the shit units have in like SC2, but you didn't have to click them. they would just activate them on the optimal target in range when something got close. way nicer way to play a game (though i don't do a lot of pvp matches in RTS. i just do challenges, campaigns and skermishes.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can someone explain to me how to automate transport aircraft? I've never been able to get that to work.

If I have 2x kbot factories, how do I task a fleet of 20 aircraft to pick up any units that exit the factory and drop them off on an island or something?