Bioshock Infinite

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah cause you're probably going to use your duplo-blox console controller to play it, so you'll need it to be slow paced.
Even if I was using it with myMost Awesome Mouse in the World Logitech G9, I still wouldn't want it to be a game paced like Doom/Quake. That shit has a time and a place and it'snotin a setting like the Bioshock games.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Console controllers are just as good for FPSing once you adapt to them, the process does take a while however.
I'm a huge console fan, but they are never just as good. They get better as you use them, but all things being equal a mouse is still way better.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Console controllers are just as good for FPSing once you adapt to themand use them to play dumbed down fps games
ftfy

Sean for what it's worth I agree to an extent. I just get bored in all the FPS areas of bioshock.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Console controllers are just as good for FPSing once you adapt to them, the process does take a while however.

Plenty of console only FPSs created the fast paced definition we know today. And Doom/Quake (probably Unreal too but haven't played it recently unlike the other two) are paced pretty similarly to Bioshock 1 during the clearing aspect with explore segments between and the addon stuff like hacking being the only large differences.
Console lovers bring this up time and time again, but the actual research tells a different story.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/?p=3235
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ga...eyboard-mouse/

The best console FPS players consistently lose to the best Keyboard+Mouse players. Assuming the actual players are the same species (and not that console players are some sort of sub-human race as is often thought :p), then clearly the control scheme is sub-par for the format.

Caliane

Plenty of console only FPSs created the fast paced definition we know today. And Doom/Quake (probably Unreal too but haven't played it recently unlike the other two) are paced pretty similarly to Bioshock 1 during the clearing aspect with explore segments between and the addon stuff like hacking being the only large differences.
That is so not even close to true.

Try playing tribes:ascend with a controller. I dare you.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've never seen published results of a keyboard/mouse vs gamepad comparison on a fast paced FPs, I just assumed no one has done it because no expert would contend that gamepad is better.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shrug maybe its my hands (they're weird due to genetics - basically my ring and pinky are useless) but I don't find a mouse or trackball any better once I adapted outside of explicitly sniping.(and we're talking $60-100 range "gaming" mice and Trackman Marble's - not shit)

But as stated I'm pretty much down two fingers so there's obviously some odd factors in my opinion on such.

But I can state just logically strafing at odd angles is something very challenging to do witk Kb/mouse - the 8 cardinal are easy but SSW for example is very challenging.

So there are some absolutes in improvement that aren't debatable (although their usefullness could be debated)

And I have a hard time taking those articles seriously the tone in the first reminds me of the early 90s article PCGamer wrote praising joystick for the FPSs of the era over keyboard. Which I never agreed with.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
"Try playing a game, with a controller, that was never designed to be played with a controller. I dare you."

Caliane

But seriously.

Can anyone say Bioshock would not have been a better game with Metroid primes combat instead? Remove the generic FPS. And replace it with a part environment based progression, and whatever kind of shooter you want to call prime.
I mean think about it. Metroid prime gameplay, in Bioshock story/environment. Game of all time? (ps, I might have just described batman:AA)

Wiimote numchuck+mouse might be the best.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"Try playing a game, with a controller, that was never designed to be played with a controller. I dare you."
The thing is, controller-friendly FPS games are a subset of FPS games. That subset is decidedly slow, reliant on gimmicky cover mechanics and typically includes linear corridors. All I'm saying is that this hamstrings AAA FPS games in such a way that prevents me from enjoying them because I know how much better they can be.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've never seen published results of a keyboard/mouse vs gamepad comparison on a fast paced FPs, I just assumed no one has done it because no expert would contend that gamepad is better.
I'll try and track it down, but I definitely read an article/heard something on a radio program talking about MS doing a study back when they were thinking about making MP games playable cross platform. They obviously found that m/kb >> controller.

edit - This may have been it:http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/con...gainst-pc.html

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
An article on that was linked above but it included only rumor. I've never seen confirmation or results on it. It's one thing for a research project to get scrapped (And really the separation of console and PC has more reasons than just competition to be enacted) and it's another for its results/methods to be published.

Sean_sl

shitlord
so you admit fps have to be dumbed down to make controllers competitive to mouse+KB. ok.
They don't. That's silly and always been the most retarded argument ever.

Comparing someone playing competitive multiplayer with a Mouse+KB Vs Controller is also silly. The speed and accuracy of a stick isnevergoing to compare to what a mouse can do.

Controllers are completelyadequatefor any Single Player or Co-operative shooter experience though and there's nothing made thatcouldn'tbe played on one, even if you couldn't play itas well. They're also fine for people playing against each other, it just doesn't result in the same level of "serious business" competitive multiplayer that Mouse Vs Mouse has.

This entire thing is completely irrelevant for a Bioshock thread either way.

Vaclav

Caliane: Mechwarrior style control sets that encourage people to buy overlays for the keyboard weren't generally considered a positive.

Flight Sim detailed controls and "jump in and have fun" don't really mesh well. That's not a console thing, its a widening your market thing.

I remember getting Falcon 4 home and having to study the controls for HOURS just to be able to successfully take off - decreased tedium is not a bad thing.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I just can't agree that Bioshock would have any value added if I had the ability to jump 180 headshot an enemy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
All I remember from the combat in bioshock was dumping dozens of bullets into those girl protectors.

Vaclav

That is a great point Sean - I have been exclusively talking singleplayer (and rarely coop for trophies). I do love MP in some games but FPS isn't that genre besides TF2 types that have classes.

And absolutely Lenas - you were supposed to be a normal guy in 1 and a walking behemoth on 2 - expecting them to perform superhuman speed like that would've certainly diminished the characterization some.

Caliane

I just can't agree that Bioshock would have any value added if I had the ability to jump 180 headshot an enemy.
I don't think anyone is saying bioshock should have been a fast paced action FPS.
The opposite.

Tuco complained about the boring generic console fps.

I and I think vaclav originally stated, that the games fps was in a middle ground. it was supposed to be more like a tactical fps, or a survival horror. Slower, deliberate, and with few encounters. But either poor balance, or being shipped too early crippled the combat design, resulting in the game being played like as generic fps where it was most effective to just run up and shoot shit in the face.
As I stated, the game would have been much more enjoyable with metroid prime, or Arkham combat mechanics. Barely Fps at all.

Vaclav

They have stated in the past that they scaled down the difficulties from planned prelaunch and the PS3 only Impossible mode with Vita Chambers off was how Hard was initially planned. And launch version Hard was design version Normal etc.

If you get the chance try it on PS3 with Impossible mode and no Vitachambers (and no chain saving) - that really was how it was intended on Hard originally. And for the majority of the game "charge and rape face" doesn't work on Impossible.

Their intent becomes pretty clear on the appropriate mode.

(Similar can be said of most SH types/subtypes that offer difficulty switches although most don't jack their intended difficulty - but for example think of the recent REs low difficulties can be played largely FPSy but if you through on Professional suddenly everything matters unless you trivialized things with upgrade farming)