Black Panther (2018)

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I wonder if it was an oversight to dodge the gay quota or if someone actually made a choice. Either way it's funny.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's not the best movie of all time, it's not even the best Marvel Movie.

The hype does a disservice to the movie, it's one of the better stories in the MCU - which is has to be because Black Panther' powers are not that interesting. Captain America had the same problem which is why his 2nd and 3rd movies had team ups with other heroes and also had interesting stories.

The setting was also interesting but needs refinement. There's lots of movies set in the Far East, Europe or the US and it's nice to see African culture for once. My girlfriend started laughing when the war rhinos showed up though and couldn't take it seriously.

The three villains were great. That's probably what this one does better than the other Marvel movies.

It cheapens it to give it the best rating because diversity when it's got a lot of merit of its own.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
As one who dislikes these ratings aggregators I hesitate to even post this but a lot of the angst that RT best movies list is causing is due to people not interpreting it properly.

It's a shitty list to be sure. I don't know how their formula for adjusting the ratings works but it certainly seems to favor movies that have lots of positive RT reviews, which will favor recent well received movies over older classics that came and went before RT was a thing. And all a high fresh rating means to begin with is a movie was broadly likeable among the critics and not that it's necessarily a great movie. The average score is a better indicator of what should be considered great.

But even taking all of that into consideration some of the standings are head scratchers. Take Max Max Fury Road for example. It has more reviews, a higher fresh rating, and a higher average critics score than BP and yet it's (currently) ranked 7 spots lower. It makes no fuckin' sense beyond the list being a means of promoting more recent movies that are still in the earnings phase of their existence.

• 1Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Dat Black Panther #1 movie off all times on Rotten Tomatoes is so clearly photoshopped, it's not even funny.

Fake News trying to cast a well-received movie and it's favourable critics in a bad light by fake exaggeration at its best.

Black Panther isn't even in the Top 100.

And for the RT score in general, it still holds that 10 Critics giving it a 6/10 would be a 100% RT score, while 9 giving it 10/10 and one giving it a 5/10 would only be a 90% score. A majority of positive reviews doesn't mean film critics didn't acknowledge or mention the flaws/shortcomings of the movie. Just that the overall score has largely been more on the positive side, all things considered.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Dat Black Panther #1 movie off all times on Rotten Tomatoes is so clearly photoshopped, it's not even funny.
I'm literally looking at it right now...

Top 100 Movies of All Time - Rotten Tomatoes

upload_2018-2-21_9-18-54.png

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Wierd.
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 15.20.01.png

I only get this

But ok. Not photoshop. Just regionally different algorithms or some shit?

• 1Worf

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
France confirmed racist.

Seriously, though, it must be based on region. Perhaps region of the reviews themselves, even?

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
France confirmed racist.

Seriously, though, it must be based on region. Perhaps region of the reviews themselves, even?

Maybe. But why is the rest virtually identical? Thought it might be release date, but it's been clearly out here for a few days.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm getting the same listing as Zweischneid from Canada.

So it's somewhat based on region.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm pretty sure you guys are looking at the wrong genre for this on RT. Here's what I see:

117g4fo.png

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users