Blackface

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude haven't you ever noticed how large the inside of a pitted olive is? Olives are like mangoes.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Id bash him too, but only because its a stupid costume idea, not because he is wearing light make-up

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So if i let my backyard olive tree get picked by my greek gardener is that racist?

Or only if i keep calling him Mario no matter what his real name would be?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Thanks to this thread, I knew an answer on a gameshow I wouldn't have otherwise known. The Jazz Singer was an answer on pawnography. It didn't mention anything about blackface or racism. I think the question was about being the first talkie moving picture, but The Jazz Singer was the only one I recognized, so that was my guess.

Thanks thread.

Szlia

Yeah it is the movie used as the first 'talkie' but there were movies before it that already had synchronized sound, but only for singing/musical numbers, There were some voice recordings but in short films, not feature films. Even in The Jazz Singer there are very few recorded dialogues and they happen mostly before or after the musical numbers (wikipedia says about 2 min of dialogue, all the rest using the usual silent movie techniques of caption cards and intertitles). The fact that the first non-sung line was "Wait a minute, wait a minute you ain't heard nothing yet" also helped setting the film as the starting point of 'talkies'. In fact, I am not even sure what is the first feature film to use synchronized sound for all of its dialogues (some wiki-fu resulted inLights of New York (1928)).

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
My friend blackfaced for Halloween as Eddie Murphy delirious, with dat red leather. I was showing my coworkers and a black RN still refuses to talk to me. Said we should be ashamed and left shaking and crying.

I can only assume she was more of a Richard Pryor fan.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I don't get the blackface rage. Would white-facing Eddie Murphy really be less offensive? Let's not forget that Eddie white-faced on multiple occasions, and it was hilarious.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
People can be crybaby cunts all they want; U.S. is becoming a bunch of pussies.

This picture is all that is needed to say blackface is 100% amazing.

rrr_img_83655.jpg

Szlia

This dutch tradition is all kind of weird and indeed racist, but I find it very funny that their Santa is from Spain.

In the same kind of idea, there is the biblical magi Balthazar who is often played by caucasians wearing black make-up for events and ceremonies. It's a little different though since, unlike the dutch Santa's helpers, there is no racial stereotypes with Balthazar, the different ethnicity of the magi are only there to say they came from all around the world (and it's a later and western addition to the tradition).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Never knew about the dutch thing, lol. Do Dutch really celebrate it in that way, or is that just a foul part of their history?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
How can people get enraged over black face when we allowedWhite Girlsto be produced.