Blenders for smoothies

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So, in an effort to eat healthier and drop some weight, I'm going to pick up a blender and start doing smoothies for breakfast instead of my usual eggs and toast (with butter, I love butter). A friend told me if I get any kind of blender, it should be a Vitamix. I noted his advice, and then discovered the fucking things are $500+. Are they worth it? If not, what make/model is best for making smoothies, cleaning, durability etc?

Feel free to post some of your recipes for healthy, filling smoothies.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Vitamix is like a cult. Once someone has one, they try to convince everyone that they know that it was worth the money. Personally I think my $50 blender makes smoothies reasonably well but I never made them with vegetables much. Personally, if I was going to buy an expensive blender I would get a Blendtec just because of those great "Will it blend?" videos.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Alternate option: get a stick blender. Won't crush ice for you, but it will make smoothies just fine. Useful elsewhere like making soups and sauces. Takes up less space too.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got my GF a magic bullet and it works really well. She had the same one Springbok did but I found that really hard to clean since the blades are fixed in the cup. So eventually it started to smell and it was hard to get shit at the bottom. Magic Bullet has a better system where you screw the blades onto the top.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I got my GF a magic bullet and it works really well. She had the same one Springbok did but I found that really hard to clean since the blades are fixed in the cup. So eventually it started to smell and it was hard to get shit at the bottom. Magic Bullet has a better system where you screw the blades onto the top.
They are really obnoxious to clean for sure. Next one I buy will definitely be able to "empty out" or whatever for cleaning purposes.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's a fucking blender dude, I bought one for 15 bucks at target and it makes smoothies perfectly.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Ninja's are amazing blenders.
They range anywhere from $40 to $300. All of which are perfect for smoothies and everything else.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's a fucking blender dude, I bought one for 15 bucks at target and it makes smoothies perfectly.
Pretty much this. I think my Black and Decker blender cost like 25 dollars at Target. I make protein shakes daily with it and it works perfectly.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Blender is not a blender, dudes.

Test: fill that $15 blender with ice and see what happens. Mine? I can make fucking snow cones. Yours? Nothing happens.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My GF had that cheap Hamilton Beach one linked above and it blended ice just fine. I think you're overselling your luxury blender.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I just wanted some opinions on whether or not a run of the mill blender would be decent for smoothies or not, given that I'd been told I HAD to buy a $500 dollar one. Coincidentally, I noticed that Booster Juice uses VitaMix blenders.