Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
If what you say is true then you need to quit your job and go get one of those medical software jobs; make video games that you love as a hobby.
If you actually make good games as a hobby and sell them, and those games end up giving you a better salary, doesn't that say something about the industry as a whole - ie; make better games, get better profits?

The notion that I should quit working my day job in games is probably true enough. I feel boxed into the promises I made to get this far, though.
However, even if I personally make that decision, that doesn't address the underlying issue of 'make predatory shitty games = better profits' that is driving the industry.

Why make massive amounts of shitty games that generate temporary, ephemeral revenue streams that dissipate and instead put that effort into a few solid persistent experiences across several companies? I don't understand why you would do that if there is no difference between having a million-dollar paycheck versus a 100 million dollar paycheck beyond being 'even more secure'.

I could live on a million/yr the rest of my life right now and if I made 99 million more, the quality of my life would not improve any.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you actually make good games as a hobby and sell them, and those games end up giving you a better salary, doesn't that say something about the industry as a whole - ie; make better games, get better profits?
In case you havent figured out, how much money a product makes is in now way shape or form tied to its quality or how much a consumer genuinely enjoys it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The notion that I should quit working my day job in games is probably true enough. I feel boxed into the promises I made to get this far, though.
Feels over reals. You even know better but you still choose to be stupid instead.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
In case you havent figured out, how much money a product makes is in now way shape or form tied to its quality or how much a consumer genuinely enjoys it.
I've had people throw money at me in a hobby after asking them not to, and telling them they would get nothing for me for their money.

I am well aware of the correlation. But I am frustrated at how many haven't figured out that people will want to toss money at you if you make a superior game.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am frustrated at how many haven't figured out that people will want to toss money at you if you make a superior game.
This is a fantasy, keep dreaming, maybe you can Chris can write a fairy tale of how the world should be.

• 1Moron

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Feels over reals. You even know better but you still choose to be stupid instead.
I'm not sure 'choosing' to be morally sound is a stupid decision. That is subjective, and honestly if you think money is more important than your own enjoyment, then you can enjoy your pile of money with no one to enjoy it with. Having a bunch of cool shit and no one to share it with is the business model of mobile anime collection gacha games.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure 'choosing' to be morally sound is a stupid decision. That is subjective, and honestly if you think money is more important than your own enjoyment, then you can enjoy your pile of money with no one to enjoy it with. Having a bunch of cool shit and no one to share it with is the business model of mobile anime collection gacha games.

Imagine being such a cuck retard so far up their own dumbfuck asses that they think game design is a moral choice. Stay poor faggot, you can cry on your death bed about how it should of been different.

• 1NPC

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
This is a fantasy, keep dreaming, maybe you can Chris can write a fairy tale of how the world should be.
Not a fantasy. I've lived it.
If I kept going it would have felt disingenuous to me. I put the link and told people to not do it, but they could support me through it, and would get nothing for it. They did it anyways. This is something that factually happened last year.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Imagine being such a cuck retard so far up their own dumbfuck asses that they think game design is a moral choice. Stay poor faggot, you can cry on your death bed about how it should of been different.
Charging people money when you don't need it is a moral choice, and one I find reprehensible. If you can't handle being told that, well, it says everything I need to know about you.
You're starting to sound like those whiny SJWs you hate, except you're defending actual garbage human beings from a different cesspool.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Why make massive amounts of shitty games that generate temporary, ephemeral revenue streams that dissipate and instead put that effort into a few solid persistent experiences across several companies? I don't understand why you would do that if there is no difference between having a million-dollar paycheck versus a 100 million dollar paycheck beyond being 'even more secure'.
Because the real revolution that needs to happen in the Gaming Industry is that the employees need to realize their industry has more in common with movie making than furniture making. You're in an industry where the end product can have a useful shelflife measured in weeks instead of years. You are a cast member in a production to produce a single piece of entertainment that will hold the audiences attention for a few weeks, and then you will NEED to move to the next project.

Until this realization occurs, your problems are only going to increase.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
But I am frustrated at how many haven't figured out that people will want to toss money at you if you make a superior game.
Thats not a given.

When you understand that a "good" game isnt necessarily the most probable way to make the most money, and that companies ONLY exist to make as much money as possible for their owners you will understand why things the way they are.

This is how you end up with a game like WoW. Universally panned on many fronts for years now yet nothing changes because its still making money for the owners. As long as WoW is making money it doesnt matter how dog shit the game is, nothing will change. Its the reason why everything now is or moving to become a lootbox simulator of cosmetics, because its an extremely low effort way to make money v the traditional triple A title with huge development staff.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Not a fantasy. I've lived it.
If I kept going it would have felt disingenuous to me. I put the link and told people to not do it, but they could support me through it, and would get nothing for it. They did it anyways. This is something that factually happened last year.

Charging people money when you don't need it is a moral choice, and one I find reprehensible. If you can't handle being told that, well, it says everything I need to know about you.
You're starting to sound like those whiny SJWs you hate, except you're defending actual garbage human beings from a different cesspool.

Stay mad and dumb faggot, what do I care that you commie dipshits don't understand simple business.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Thats not a given.

When you understand that a "good" game isnt necessarily the most probable way to make the most money, and that companies ONLY exist to make as much money as possible for their owners you will understand why things the way they are.

This is how you end up with a game like WoW. Universally panned on many fronts for years now yet nothing changes because its still making money for the owners. As long as WoW is making money it doesnt matter how dog shit the game is, nothing will change. Its the reason why everything now is or moving to become a lootbox simulator of cosmetics, because its an extremely low effort way to make money v the traditional triple A title with huge development staff.

It's amazing how many will get mad at you for pointing this out. Sorry if truth hurts your little feelings you fucking faggots but big P is absolutely correct.

remake bingo GIF

• 1Midwit

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Charging people money when you don't need it is a moral choice, and one I find reprehensible.

This is not true in the slightest. Charging people money for your time/energy/use of property even when you don't need it helps everyone else that DOES need money set a value on their own time/energy/property. You are morally obligated to set a fair price for your output even when you do not need the money.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So just an FYI that article states 500 people signed a petition calling for Bobby to resign which is roughly 6% of its almost 10,000 employees. This is what anyone anywhere would term a vocal minority. Phil Spencer is just playing politics.

Exactly, people still out there buying Nikes, IPhone, Nestlé products you name it. Let's not pretend anyone who matters in the slightest actually gives even 1/100th of a fuck. This shit will blow over.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There will never be a game developer's union. Any developer with any talent can just rollover to any other industry to increase their pay and lower their stress. Actors and Screenwriters can't do that.
Screenwriters can't just write other stuff if they wanted to? Wut now?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I am well aware of the correlation. But I am frustrated at how many haven't figured out that people will want to toss money at you if you make a superior game.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The issue is gaming customers have been market conditioned NOT by executive leadership, but by this bullshit grassroots purple hair brigade development workforce that invented the "Customers feel too entitled" mentality and down the rabbit hole this went until we are at where we are at now. Maybe those cancerous fucks should have been eliminated from having a voice in the first place, sent packing to code basic text adventures for a living, and we wouldn't be in this mess.

You are now in a conundrum of some of your own peers societal creation to deflect their own ineptitude, and most (I'll assume you are one of the good guys in all this) just let it happen in the vacuum for fear of retaliation - a result of cancel culture spreading like wildfire in all facets of our lives now.

Along with that, consumer purchasing behavior where in no way shape or form would anyone turn down 1 billion for creating a little pony icon you can buy and put on an avatar you see in a splash screen for 15 seconds before you enter a game.

No one stood up and told those pieces of trash - "Guess what you fucking purple haired no talent cuck, customers are entitled because they bought our fucking product - so make a good one or guess what? They won't buy it again and you can be out of a job. " - Instead, purple haired no talent cuck cried foul on twitter to play victim which they knew it would work because they never got spanked as a kid, and everyone in the industry - consumers and good developers like you alike, get fucked by this mentality.

How do you fix it?

Fire the purple haired no talent fuckos and they can serve fries for a living and face reality like the rest of planet earth, or better yet open up a development studio in Kabul and send them the fuck over there for a hard lesson in reality. Then with the house cleaned, get back to making quality games because the market will be there regardless while finding non game impacting MTX systems which allow for the additional revenue streams.

My advice for you? Get that medical software job that pays triple the price with 95 less of the work, take the time returned and develop your own Indie game and sell it without publisher kick back, and you will get the best of both worlds. Then when you get popular enough, open your own studio away from the bullshit noise and do things your way and reap the financial AND personal benefits.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
It's amazing how many will get mad at you for pointing this out. Sorry if truth hurts your little feelings you fucking faggots but big P is absolutely correct.

Corporations / Companies only exist to make money. That is factually correct. The difference in opinion between you and I are on how that money is earned and how that money is spent.

You would rather your $15/mo + microtransactions line Kotick's golden toilet where Ion sleep inside of it, and were completely quick to jump to defend the executives when Furor was attacked by the 'sjw colored hair idiots' at the company about a few months ago, until they started making changes you didn't like that catered to the SJW crowd, and then you tossed them under a bus like the 'SJW idiots' did.

The similarity between the two stances are because the executives backpedaled... but not because they feel there is actually an injustice or moral decision to be made, but because their public-facing moral stance is driven by money. The core issue is the executives at Activision/Blizzard are inherently 'closed-doors' Nixon-style corrupt individuals easily swayed by finance, and any product they put out will also be subject to the same inconsistencies in design, gameplay, employee working conditions, et al.

WoW didn't have good game design since Battle for Azeroth and had no signs of improvement. It was easy to hate on them because 'women harass bad', but the issues are far more deeply seeded than the people who were harassed, and that's being put on public display. I've stayed consistent and have not given Blizzard my money since the DEFH lawsuit game to light because I don't agree with how the game was handled, everyone here was quick to buy D2R when it came out, and I couldn't be fucked to try it because I kept my initial stance and very few opinions expressed here would have changed it, only factual information about the game improving that is backed up with actions, that isn't coming from a corporate talking head, would have changed my stance.

My opinions have a resounding theme that has stayed consistent throughout my online presence:

1) Mass acquisition of currency by a single individual, or group of individuals, should not make them make more unstable or irrational decisions compared to when they did not have that currency. If they do, they're morally corrupt.
2) People deserve to be paid based on the quality of their work, not the attributes of the person in question.
3) The quality of a game being produced by a game studio is the sole judgemental attribute for success.
4) If a companies' employees are suffering, they shouldn't feel like they would be ostracized for quitting terrible working conditions.
5) Those in charge should either transparently improve, nix, or sell off financially under performing games if they cannot be trusted to keep a quality product. They should know when to quit, and not trash their reputation on the way out.
6) People who do amazing work will automatically get amazing results if they do it alone or on their own merits.
7) Pedophiles deserve the guillotine.

I actually sincerely enjoy your commentary here because you don't take people's shit lying down. Just think you're in the wrong on the reasoning. No one's disputing that companies currently exist to make money, the point I am making is if something's designed well enough, you can carve your place in the world without having that be the primary focus.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users