Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Goonsquad Officer
It was just a cardboard facade. They kept the sham going as long as possible. They just ran out of gropes and alcohol at some point and faltered.

Nola

Trakanon Raider

Blizzard has quietly announced that they're removing TCP/IP multiplayer from Diablo 2 Resurrected​

Down in the FAQ section.
I’m no programmer but my guess would be to prevent people from cracking and playing the game like in the alpha version. I know you had to the launch the game with the TCP/IP button with the cracked version.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
amazing how fast a major company can crater into shit.
Is it though? This was a company that basically copied other people's designs, iterated on them a lot, and never really innovated at all.

Is it a real shocker that after the initial shininess of their games wore off, that they were really just iterative grindfests underneath?

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Is it though? This was a company that basically copied other people's designs, iterated on them a lot, and never really innovated at all.

Is it a real shocker that after the initial shininess of their games wore off, that they were really just iterative grindfests underneath?
Blizzard's innovation in gaming was making reliably quality products. The fact their stuff usually just worked was against the industry standard.

Now it's pretty obvious they might actively hate their customers.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I’m no programmer but my guess would be to prevent people from cracking and playing the game like in the alpha version. I know you had to the launch the game with the TCP/IP button with the cracked version.
Its a security issue, sure. But the original game had it.

And its most likely to stop modders being able to do path of diablo, and other overhaul mods. Cant make money from people not playing on the official servers with microtransactions.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well obviously, but it still sucks, and might affect some of the modding stuff. And it's unlikely this won't be piratable anyway, unlike D3 which was entirely reliant on the servers to do anything.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

i dunno, WoW always felt like carebear Everquest to me, but a lot of people liked that kind of gameplay and it wasnt time intensive, when i quit EQ i could play a few hours of WoW and feel like i was making progress, where in EQ it took you a few hours just to learn how to do stuff and venture outside of your home city. they should have been able to keep innovating and making the game more fun and interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Blizzard's innovation in gaming was making reliably quality products. The fact their stuff usually just worked was against the industry standard.

Now it's pretty obvious they might actively hate their customers.
I think they just got too good at making gameplay that is addictive and obligation-filled and yet not fun.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Its a security issue, sure. But the original game had it.

And its most likely to stop modders being able to do path of diablo, and other overhaul mods. Cant make money from people not playing on the official servers with microtransactions.
I’ve been keeping up with this game. Am I missing something but I wasn’t aware there were microtransactions or that’s something you think they will incorporate later down the road?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i dunno, WoW always felt like carebear Everquest to me, but a lot of people liked that kind of gameplay and it wasnt time intensive, when i quit EQ i could play a few hours of WoW and feel like i was making progress, where in EQ it took you a few hours just to learn how to do stuff and venture outside of your home city. they should have been able to keep innovating and making the game more fun and interesting.
They didn't really innovate in the first place, so there was nothing to "keep innovating."

They rested their laurels on a giant cash cow that was WoW for a really long time instead of pushing the envelope to develop something huge. The fact that they just let WoW pay the bills for almost 2 decades instead of going on to make a Starcraft MMO shows they really weren't interested in innovating.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

They deserve a little credit for delivering the most balanced RTS of all time.

Copying existing games won't balance a game. They nailed an expac for the same game as well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They deserve a little credit for delivering the most balanced RTS of all time.

Copying existing games won't balance a game. They nailed an expac for the same game as well.
Blizzard has always been good at the whole 'different, but balanced' thing. Unfortunately, that has worked against them, as the prevalence of data and simulation has completely removed the relevance of experimental and experiential gameplay towards making a decision; people just go on a website and let the website tell them the best choices to make, and rob themselves of the fun of actually trying to make interesting combinations work.

• 1Like

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I’ve been keeping up with this game. Am I missing something but I wasn’t aware there were microtransactions or that’s something you think they will incorporate later down the road?

They wouldn't announce microtransactions early on a game that's being looked forward to.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
They didn't really innovate in the first place, so there was nothing to "keep innovating."
Their MO was always to steal other ideas from games and "Blizzardify" them. The problem is that once they started starving out the MMO market, there were no new MMOs for them to steal ideas from. After that, they started stealing from shit like D3 and, with Shadowlands, indie roguelikes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The ultimate question regarding Diablo 4 is will Diablo be trans this time around? Maybe Diablo will loff off his dick and start killing you with it.

So at first we were thinking diablo was bipoc but then we thought that didn't make sense with the poly amorous choices that demons make. So we rewrote half, now we are thinking diablo is 2 spirit and one of them is trapped in yet another soul stone. Only Cain's mannish looking great niece can save the day.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Blizzard did amazing innovation with setting up their 3 main IPs back in the 90s+early 2000s: Warcraft, Starcraft+Diablo. The problem is that they've lived off of those for almost 2 decades, without making a new IP. And that's just way too long for any IP to really be innovative and fresh. And the overwatch franchise just bombed from the start.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Blizzard has been dead for a while.

dude WoW just made the MOST money evar!!!

Overwatch fizzled. OW 2 is DOA. HOTS is universally rejected by every single MOBA player ever. SC2 as an e-sport is barely tolerated. D4 is delayed indefinitely through 2025.

But that quarterly earnings report for those mounts they sold slaps bro.

• 1Worf