Book Club Redux

Lusiphur

Peasant
Inferno
Dan Brown
Dude, seriously. Whilst I applaud the effort, Dan Brown wtf?

Well it is book release season so how about picking stuff that is coming out? For example, Cibola Burn came out last week and the Expanse got generally positive reviews here. The next one in Blood Song is coming out soon too.

I like Sunieg's themes and the 'No Fantasy' month sounds like a fine plan too.

Another thing (and I was guilty of this before), instead of bitching about the pick being something you have read why don't people just join in the conversation anyways?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

Well it is book release season so how about picking stuff that is coming out? For example, Cibola Burn came out last week and the Expanse got generally positive reviews here. The next one in Blood Song is coming out soon too.

Another thing (and I was guilty of this before), instead of bitching about the pick being something you have read why don't people just join in the conversation anyways?
Inferno was not the usual drivel surprisingly enough.

I agree with the rest but new hardcovers are expensive and I am only one of a few that would probably buy it no matter what is why that might not be a great idea and is the only reason I was reluctant back when I was being a little bitch.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've read several Dan Brown books. While they weren't the greatest books I've ever read, they weren't terrible. I enjoyed them vastly more than books like The Strain and American Gods, for example, which are clearly more critically acclaimed books...just boring as fuck. Make fun of me all you want, but there are plenty of "great" books out there that are a fucking chore to get through. Sometimes quick and easy is a nice change.

I certainly don't think every choice should be a Dan Brown level book, but is this to get us to possibly read something new, or are we only choosing from approved English Lit selections?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
To me, the idea is to get us reading stuff we either normally wouldn't otherwise, or stuff we might have anyway but in a group setting to prompt dicussion and introspection.

I'm putting up a list later today for vote for July. I am thinking we will go with the "movies based on little known books" theme this month because that should be interesting. If anyone has any suggestions please PM them.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with the occasional Dan Brown book. I say this having never read a Dan Brown book, just saying, it should be varied. I am not really aware of stuff like book release season or new books coming out so if you have suggestions please let me know.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
There are websites like goodreads.com that you could probably use to assist you. I think you can even form book clubs amongst members there. But they also have a bunch of (user created) theme lists and genre categories.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That site is awesome, thanks.

I already have a few books together, I just need one or two more and we should have a good choice. Keep in mind these are books either I didn't know were based on movies or I don't think it is generally known they were based on movies.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Unethical but consider keeping an email list of interested people taking part and at the start of each selection email them an epub/mobi of each book along with an encouraging nudge to buy anything you enjoy ?

Consider doing a biography/autobiography each selection.