Book of the Month - Merged

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've heard Michio Kaku speak and his ideas are very intriguing, and I know all the tech/security podcasts I listen to they are huge sci-fi guys and they LOVE The Martian. Not to influence anyone one way or the other but The Martian was the one I most wanted to read, to me the premise sounds awesome.

Good luck tomorrow, a_skeleton_03, hope it doesn't make you feel too awful.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
I've already read the Martian so I won't vote for it, but it is an amazing read, both from a human and engineering perspective. Short, sweet, and very very in-depth.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
A suggested topic from one of the members here, award winners. Since not everyone has done 2014 awards I included 2013 awards as well. 7 days to vote, this one may begin a day late, blame me. So with no further ado...

---------------------------------------

The Good Lord Bird by James McBride - National Book Award Winner 2013

The_Good_Lord_Bird.jpg

Henry Shackleford is a young slave living in the Kansas Territory in 1857, when the region is a battleground between anti- and pro-slavery forces. When John Brown, the legendary abolitionist, arrives in the area, an argument between Brown and Henry?s master quickly turns violent. Henry is forced to leave town?with Brown, who believes he?s a girl. Over the ensuing months, Henry?whom Brown nicknames Little Onion?conceals his true identity as he struggles to stay alive. Eventually Little Onion finds himself with Brown at the historic raid on Harpers Ferry in 1859?one of the great catalysts for the Civil War. An absorbing mixture of history and imagination, and told with McBride?s meticulous eye for detail and character, The Good Lord Bird is both a rousing adventure and a moving exploration of identity and survival.

The Evolutionist by Rena Mason - 2013 Bram Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in a First Novel Winner

rrr_img_76830.jpg

Las Vegas suburbanite, Stacy Troy, dreams that everyone is dead. She dismembers the bodies of loved ones, stuffs them into a shopping cart, then takes them two at a time to the pile where she will burn their remains and say her last goodbyes. Waking nightly to her own screams, Stacy is convinced she?s on the brink of a mid-life crisis and begins secretly seeing a psychiatrist. Dr. Light and his methods seem strange and unconventional, but his treatments work, and her circumstances improve. Until the nightmares return with a vengeance, taking on a life of their own. Uncertain what to believe, Stacy carries on living the only life she remembers. Nosebleeds and head-splitting alarms only she can hear, become a regular occurrence. In physical and mental decline, the nocturnal world in her mind refuses to die. The images it reveals hold clues that lead her to a shocking discovery. Threatening to unravel the last thread of her sanity, Stacy must make a heartrending decision...before her post-apocalyptic nightmares come true.

Ancilliary Justice by Anne Leckie - 2013 Hugo Award Winner, 2013 Locus Awar Winner, 2013 Arthur C Clark Award winner, etc etc

rrr_img_76831.jpg

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance.

The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America by George Packer - 2013 National Book Award for Nonfiction Winner

rrr_img_76832.jpg

American democracy is beset by a sense of crisis. Seismic shifts during a single generation have created a country of winners and losers, allowing unprecedented freedom while rending the social contract, driving the political system to the verge of breakdown, and setting citizens adrift to find new paths forward. In The Unwinding, George Packer, author of The Assassins? Gate: America in Iraq, tells the story of the United States over the past three decades in an utterly original way, with his characteristically sharp eye for detail and gift for weaving together complex narratives. The Unwinding journeys through the lives of several Americans, including Dean Price, the son of tobacco farmers, who becomes an evangelist for a new economy in the rural South; Tammy Thomas, a factory worker in the Rust Belt trying to survive the collapse of her city; Jeff Connaughton, a Washington insider oscillating between political idealism and the lure of organized money; and Peter Thiel, a Silicon Valley billionaire who questions the Internet?s significance and arrives at a radical vision of the future. Packer interweaves these intimate stories with biographical sketches of the era?s leading public figures, from Newt Gingrich to Jay-Z, and collages made from newspaper headlines, advertising slogans, and song lyrics that capture the flow of events and their undercurrents. The Unwinding portrays a superpower in danger of coming apart at the seams, its elites no longer elite, its institutions no longer working, its ordinary people left to improvise their own schemes for success and salvation. Packer?s novelistic and kaleidoscopic history of the new America is his most ambitious work to date.

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - 2014 World Fantasy Award Winner

rrr_img_76833.jpg

?In The Golem and the Jinni, a chance meeting between mythical beings takes readers on a dazzling journey through cultures in turn-of-the-century New York. Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life to by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic and dies at sea on the voyage from Poland. Chava is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York harbor in 1899. Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire born in the ancient Syrian desert, trapped in an old copper flask, and released in New York City, though still not entirely free. Ahmad and Chava become unlikely friends and soul mates with a mystical connection. Marvelous and compulsively readable, Helene Wecker's debut novel The Golem and the Jinni weaves strands of Yiddish and Middle Eastern literature, historical fiction and magical fable, into a wondrously inventive and unforgettable tale.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Voted The Golem and the Jinni just because I read a bunch of ridiculously glowing reviews of it last year. Like, most of the reviewers were at least half turgid.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sorry normally I give warning when the poll is closing. Looks like The Golem and the Jinni won out. I will put up a thread in a bit. Please send me any suggestions for themes you guys may have, I need a theme for next month and then I am thinking December will either be runners up or some kind of holiday theme, if I can think of a way it won't be horrible.