Brand New Cherry Flavor

ShakyJake

<Donor>
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Brand New Cherry Flavor

Genre: Drama, Mystery

First aired: 2021-08-13

Creator: Nick Antosca, Lenore Zion

Cast: Rosa Salazar, Catherine Keener, Eric Lange, Jeff Ward, Manny Jacinto, Daniel Doheny, Mark Acheson

Overview: A filmmaker heads to Hollywood in the early ’90s to make her movie but tumbles down a hallucinatory rabbit hole of sex, magic, revenge — and kittens.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
A one-and-done horror series on Netflix. I give it three and a half thumbs up!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Watched the first episode and it seemed to be weird for the sake of being weird. Wasn’t all that interesting.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I made it to episode 4. Maybe I'll finish it. It definitely is (at least in part) an homage to Cronenberg and Lynch. Hell, the main character say so!

It does suffer, like far too many streaming services series, from poor pacing. In other words, they run things to long. I'm on episode 4 and I am pretty certain that wherever and whatever they want to do, it could have been done already.

Here's the interesting thing- the whole story is this (no spoilers): Harvey Weinstein gives kinda-cute, but completely novice semi-hot girl her break in Hollywood. But, because he put his hand on her thigh, he deserves the wrath of God. Now, I can't say what the finale will bring (if anything). But what a shit premise. Especially since the Weinstein guy (Lou Burke) is kinda awesome. He's a sweet, far-out, philosophical, well-connected, California swinger. Lisa Nova, the could-be talented director, has zero experience with anything and is living out of her car. So the woke message literally is "Tit for tat and you deserve the demons of Hell." I guess no one associated with this show ever heard of sweat equity?

That being said- it has the potential to be a pretty good show and I am enjoying it.

My 2 big concerns (as far a plot, not politics) go are:
1) The pacing
2) I don't think they get the 90's vibe right. It feels very 70's in almost all respects. Sometimes some 80's (videotapes, etc). Sometimes 60's.

It's an out there show though (in a good way).

ShakyJake

<Donor>
You might as well finish it up, but it does end in a way that suggests a 2nd season but I believe it was cancelled. I enjoyed the series up until the finale.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I did-- this show is the bomb! I liked how it ended. Loved the creep-factor and mind-fuckedness of it. Yeah, Videodrome may have done it better, but I bet that film doesn't hold up / age well with time.

The cast was on-point. They were all really good actors. The sets were like Miami Vice meets To Live and Die in LA.

Beats me how something that is clearly not a high budget production with above average writing and a high concept doesn't get a renewal.

Plus, the played Concrete Blonde in the background in one scene-- One of the best LA bands of all time! The song was so good that I cared less about listening to the characters' dialogue and was much more into the song (Tomorrow Wendy's Going to Die).

I'll rate it a 4 stars!

TV show information provided by The Movie Database