Broadcast/Cable TV Accounts for Less than Half of U.S. Viewing Time for the First Time

Cybsled

Pretty big, although I would say streaming watching still skews towards binge watching, which can inflate numbers over the short term

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not surprising at all. Haven't watched broadcast/cable in years and thought streaming had been ahead for a while

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's generational. A lot still do the usual couch and channel flip.

The numbers probably started a paradigm shift since Gen Z and milennials won't touch a TV now at all. And in Gen Z's case, never have.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anytime I'm at someone's house and am watching TV for whatever reason, whenever a commercial comes on I feel like a fucking sheep being nipped at by a dog.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I only keep youtubeTV/cable for NFL , my wife watches. ...well everything but I've only had it for sports. If we could get better antenna coverage here in the middle of nowhere I would drop it in a hot second.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I only keep youtubeTV/cable for NFL , my wife watches. ...well everything but I've only had it for sports. If we could get better antenna coverage here in the middle of nowhere I would drop it in a hot second.
Starlink and get a roku box or something to watch your streaming stuff on the TV.

Oldbased

> Than U
Haven't had cable tv since 2015 and while I've had a broadcast digital antenna hooked up to 2 of the tvs we've only used them on 2 dates years ago. New Years and Rose Bowl Parade.

Oldbased

> Than U
Anytime I'm at someone's house and am watching TV for whatever reason, whenever a commercial comes on I feel like a fucking sheep being nipped at by a dog.
Funny story. Few years back in the Christmas bombing in Nashville that took out all our internet for the first time in years, we were forced to watch broadcast those 2 days which I forgot about till now. First time in YEARS I'd seen a commercial and it was all mixed races, woke shit for every product. I looked at Shelly and she had this ghostly look and said this is why the world is fucked. We had no idea how bad it had become.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Starlink and get a roku box or something to watch your streaming stuff on the TV.
I have a roku box, I don't understand what the starlink is in reference to? Where I live we don't get all the networks the wife likes on antenna so I kept youtubeTV for her. Starlink is Elon Musk internet no?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I have a roku box, I don't understand what the starlink is in reference to? Where I live we don't get all the networks the wife likes on antenna so I kept youtubeTV for her. Starlink is Elon Musk internet no?
Yes, starlink is higher bandwidth internet for folks in the boonies like you. Unless you have a better HSI option. Internet + streaming services + roku or other internet app happy TV == cut your cord.

Oldbased

> Than U
We could get all the main networks and then some through something like Philo or Sling but in all these years since the snip we haven't missed a single network once other than some travel channel she likes. I am happy HBO Max has Discovery and all the home show channels now. I get Max free with my 2gb up/down fiber.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Yes, starlink is higher bandwidth internet for folks in the boonies like you. Unless you have a better HSI option. Internet + streaming services + roku or other internet app happy TV == cut your cord.
Our local co-op has internet that's pretty decent for the $$. Best part is you can call and get a person fast that is local and fixes the issue. Down time of less than an hour total all 3 times I've had to call. I guess it helps that (I think) I know what I'm doing on my end.

My 'cord cut' would be anything that let's my wife watch her eclectic batch of shows, they are all over the place. As in she likes shows that are on BET, VH-1 , ABC, NBC, etc. My wife also likes simple so my litmus test is if it's not iphone simple she won't like it. I get it, no one wants to hit 50 buttons to watch 1 show.

I've tried multiple 'cable replacement' apps and youtubeTV has been the best fit. It lets you ff commercials and doesn't set arbitrary sizes/types for 'recording'. Only downside is the cost, they are $75ish a month now.

My part is easy, since we do have youtubeTV, I get local NFL (raiders/sf/arizona) and I can pop on any of the multiple streams for the other games I want to watch. I paid for NFL Sunday ticket once and realized that was a total waste of money, if you know where to look.