Building a decent size media storage server

Seventh

Golden Squire
ProTip for those of you with QNAP devices - enable raid bitmapping. I had a TS-879 full of 2TB drives blow up on me (iSCSI firmware in it shit the bed, still not sure why) and it took almost three full days to rebuild without it. It's non-destructive, so you don't need to reformat to do it.

As far as a media server, I also run Plex and I use a Mac Mini for the head. 8GB of RAM and an SSD and I just mount it up via NFS to my home SAN. Works great, streams no prob. Plex is the goods.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I don't even really know what Plex is. Will the QNAP run that? I don't want to have to leave my desktop or HTPC on, I want to feed/stream media directly from the Qnap to the Nexus.

I've downloaded MX Player since the built in player wouldn't play any of my media, and it seems to work alright if I drop the files on to the Nexus. But it would be nice to not have to actually plug it in to a computer and copy the files over manually.
Try es file Explorer. You can set up your qnap on that and stream you stuff over so mx player can play it. If you haveissuessong it up and me a pm I can give you step by step.