Building a Treehouse

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The other parents weren't there, the parents who owned the lake house were entrusted with their care.

Thats why pools have those 5 ft tall fences around them with self-closing inside-latch gates. Little kids can't get in to drown. If you have just an open pool with no fence and no safety, then yea?

I think it is a little bit of bullshit how personal responsibility does get pushed off under the modern tort system, but on the other hand, I think it forces us to really look at what activities we do and which ones are safe and which ones aren't; a lot of things are just completely unreasonably unsafe, like trampolines. The tort system makes those practically come with a good defense lawyer's card enclosed in the box, which is a good thing. I think overall people are a lot safer and risk-averse now than they used to be, which is ultimately a good thing. Does take some of the john wayne strong silent type bullshit away though, agreed.
I feel bad for kids now. My summer was filled with doing stupid shit and fucking around in the neighborhood and my curfew was when the street lights came on. Nobody seemed to mind and cops weren't stopping us asking where our parents were. We all skateboarded and rode bikes with no helmets or any other shit. If we got hurt we would go to a friends house clean it up, slap a bandaid on it and keep playing.

As for the treehouse. Diggin holes in the ground is cheating!

khalid

Unelected Mod
Didn't know wtf attractive nuisance was, just uggh.
Attractive nuisance doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The idea that some shitbird kid could get on your property and hurt himself, thereby making you liable, just really rubs me the wrong way. I mean, I get it, if it happened to be my kid, I might just sue. However, society and the law should tell me to fucking suck it up and watch my kid better.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The "if it was your kid" argument is inherently flawed because people are always irrational when it comes to their children. That doesn't mean that society to cater to their irrational impulses like trying to punish some third party because your kid did something dumb and fucked himself up when you weren't watching him.

As for the treehouse. Diggin holes in the ground is cheating!
Damn straight!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
GUYS!! ENOUGH!!

rrr_img_75255.jpg

If you want to talk about building a tree house this is thread. If you want to rock on your chair and talk about how you fell of trees all day long when you were a kid and nobody got sue'd do it here:Parent Thread

Oldbased

> Than U
Does Free Candy on a large wooden sign near my creepy van qualify as a Attractive Nuisance?

Seriously though, when we moved into this house 2 years ago the neighbor had barbwire 1 foot high over his chain link fence. He claimed they used to have a rough dog and that is why it is there. The other neighbor however says he put it up due to the house I live in had 2 crazy childs living in it who got into everyone elses shit. Pretty sure on top of that it is illegal to use that in city limits without permit on residential.

Now growing up I would have stayed out ( or cut the damn thing ) but what sort of lawsuit would that be in today's world if a kid got all mangled up in that?

Edit- Just for Tuco. Tree houses are gay. Build a rock house in a tree.
Double Edit- Can't post in parent thread. I am not a parent. We need a tree houses are cool but gay and may be liable to lawsuits thread.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Didn't know wtf attractive nuisance was, just uggh.
Attractive nuisance doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The idea that some shitbird kid could get on your property and hurt himself, thereby making you liable, just really rubs me the wrong way. I mean, I get it, if it happened to be my kid, I might just sue. However, society and the law should tell me to fucking suck it up and watch my kid better.
Apparently you can break into a home to rob it now and if they shoot you or you get injured inside the house you can sue them for that as well.

iannis

Musty Nester
This is how far I got today. All support stuff is totally done, and about 1/2 hour left on the decking. Then, hoisting the house parts up onto it.
That's gonna be a fucking tree mansion.

I remember as a kid one of my friends had a treehouse in his neighborhood that was crazy. It was a real simple box, but the shit was like 12 feet in the air. Someone had put it WAAAY up in a stand of pines where they started to branch. That treehouse couldn't have lasted for more than 5 years.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, that's why I'm making it NEXT to the trees. I'm using the trees for stabilising the thing, but not building it in the tree, or around the tree. I figure in a bunch of years, when my kids are done with it, I can build a 10x14 shed on those posts. They'll be stable enough, and I can just drop the deck, and voila! Cheap shed in which to store my cool things.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The wind chill is about 0 degrees Fahrenheit today, and my kids have been playing in the treehouse thing for almost an hour. I wired it, and they brought out a small space heater so they can play on the slide and on the deck, and then go in and turn on the heater and warm up. It's quite funny, really. Here's the finished product:

WCKvkEw.jpg

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My parents were sued when a diabetic fractured her tibia and fibia by simply jumping on our trampoline. It just snapped when she came down on the mat after a while of jumping. Granted it was her birth father in Florida who did the suing (we lived in Texas). The mother was pissed at the dad, but couldn't do anything about it. My parents basically never let anyone over again after that. That was almost 20 years ago.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Looks like Mrs. Lurking was doing the work, while Dirk's kicking back taking pictures. And I applaud this.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
She better help out in the yard because not just anyone would marry a big white oval with legs even if she was handy with a rake.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Looks like Mrs. Lurking was doing the work, while Dirk's kicking back taking pictures. And I applaud this.
Ha. She was just finishing up after I lugged all the rock back there. Though I like your idea better.

She better help out in the yard because not just anyone would marry a big white oval with legs even if she was handy with a rake.
I know, right? The sacrifices I make.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
My parents were sued when a diabetic fractured her tibia and fibia by simply jumping on our trampoline. It just snapped when she came down on the mat after a while of jumping. Granted it was her birth father in Florida who did the suing (we lived in Texas). The mother was pissed at the dad, but couldn't do anything about it. My parents basically never let anyone over again after that. That was almost 20 years ago.
Don't you think it might be time to move out and get your own place? You can invite whoever you want over there.