Building custom PC-would appreciate input

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
People are overstating the case for Intel processors over AMD for gaming. For the most part games haven't been CPU bound in a long time and users won't notice a difference between mid-to-high end processors from either manufacturer.

That said, as much as I would like to promote AMD (so we continue to have competition driving down prices) for mid-to-high processors you should buy Intel as it will be faster and run cooler. For low end systems and HTPCs the AMD A10-7xxx series is probably a better buy.
Yep, the above is true. Here's Anandtech's take on the new AMD Kaveri:

- Intel's dual-core Haswell parts are priced very aggressively and actually match Kaveri's CPU clocks. With a substantial advantage in IPC and shipping at similar frequencies, a dual-core Core i3 Haswell will deliver much better CPU performance than even the fastest Kaveri at a lower price.

- outside of specific applications and GPU compute workloads, the killer app for Kaveri remains gaming...If you are building an entry level desktop PC where gaming is a focus, there really isn't a better option.For casual gaming, AMD is hitting the nail square on the head in its quest for 1080p gaming at 30 frames per second, albeit generally at lower quality settings.

AnandTech Portal | AMD Kaveri Review: A8-7600 and A10-7850K Tested

The key phrase here is "entry level". If you're buying a video card for your desktop system then you're already out of the market for an AMD CPU.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The main problem with AMD isn't pure performance. An 8350 is *almost* as good of a gaming CPU in pure performance as your typical i5 3570k, maybe only a couple % slower. The problem is, it's at best equivalent, never better, sometimes worse, and it uses more power, runs hotter, and costs the same. So there's really no reason to ever put one in a gaming PC.

If you could put a 8350 in a machine for half the price of a comparable intel processor, they'd be a LOT more popular, that used to be AMDs big selling point, you could get close to intel performance for much, much less. Now they don't really do that anymore with their gaming-calibur CPUs. An AMD 8350 is basically $200, as is Intels i5 3570 and 4670.

The AMD chip needs to be priced at like $120 to really make a run at Intels market share and dominance in the gaming sector

blehh_sl

shitlord
The amd chips pretty much are 120 though. The 8320 and the 8350 are the exact same chip, the 8350 is just binned a higher. That said, microcenter had the 8320 for 100 dollars a few weeks ago, the 8320 is 135 on tiger direct right now
AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 Eight-Core 3.5GHz AM3+ Processor - AM3+, Eight-Core, 3.5GHz, 16MB, 125W, Unlocked at TigerDirect.com

I'd still go intel personally, but the amd chips are super super cheap.

edit:
Its also 135 on amazon as well
Amazon.com: AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition: Computers Accessories
The main problem with AMD isn't pure performance. An 8350 is *almost* as good of a gaming CPU in pure performance as your typical i5 3570k, maybe only a couple % slower. The problem is, it's at best equivalent, never better, sometimes worse, and it uses more power, runs hotter, and costs the same. So there's really no reason to ever put one in a gaming PC.

If you could put a 8350 in a machine for half the price of a comparable intel processor, they'd be a LOT more popular, that used to be AMDs big selling point, you could get close to intel performance for much, much less. Now they don't really do that anymore with their gaming-calibur CPUs. An AMD 8350 is basically $200, as is Intels i5 3570 and 4670.

The AMD chip needs to be priced at like $120 to really make a run at Intels market share and dominance in the gaming sector

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got a question for you guys, if you absolutely had to be below a certain budget, given the AMD cpu listed above my post is $100 cheaper. Would you get the AMD cpu and spend another 100$ to get a better graphics card? Would it be beneficial at all?

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
If the PC you're building is going to be in your bedroom or anywhere near where you sleep, paying for some nice noctua fans will make your life a lot better than minor differences in cpu architecture. On my latest build i went with a noctua U12S with the F12 fan for the heatsink and a pair of noctua S12A intake fans for the case. Being able to sleep comfortably while your pc is downloading large games is priceless.

Removable dust filters are fantastic for keeping your case clean. I got a Silverstone PS07 case with slick removable filters for both the front intake fans and the power supply intake. It's a micro-atx form factor case, another thing i'd recommend. Unless you need more than 4 pcie slots (2 dual slot sized graphics cards in sli), full sized atx is just going to be a massive turd system for no benefit.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
The sabertooth Z77 is so fucking sexy. i saw that and i wanted to buy one.
rrr_img_52899.jpg
My last motherboard was a sabertooth x79, I hated the fuck out of it. The tiny assist fan they put in that plastic shell and the little fan on the chipset are louder than all the fans on the rest of the computer combined, and basically do jack shit for performance. It's a high-pitched banshee wail kinda loud too, fuck that trash. Went with a rampage 4 gene this time, so much better.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Isn't that cover just a piece of plastic and you get worse temps with it on ?

Check out this bad boy

turbojet.jpg