Building Dream setup

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is that what you asked in a thread about a "dream setup"??
I'm trying to build a dream desk, and need various sized finished work tops to build it.

Currently I am using some plywood I cut for prototyping and did a rush job finishing and threw on top of an 2-tier old desk frame that I hacksawed down to be the general size I want.

I would like to build the "real" version of this desk on top of a very expensive 4-leg standing desk frame.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm trying to build a dream desk, and need various sized finished work tops to build it.

Currently I am using some plywood I cut for prototyping and did a rush job finishing and threw on top of an 2-tier old desk frame that I hacksawed down to be the general size I want.

I would like to build the "real" version of this desk on top of a very expensive 4-leg standing desk frame.

Build a platform of 2x4, then get a quartzite countertop cut for your desktop!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Pics may help us figure out what you’re doing here.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So got system built with 5800x and x570 Aorus Master. Is there anything I want to do with Ryzen regarding overclock, or just kind of let shit do it's own thing? I enabled xmp on my RAM, and that's about it.

I think the next thing I do is get 2 more NVME drives and go 3 NVME with no other drives, and when I do that I think I'll do a fresh windows install to clean things up.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
slippery slippery Hateyou Hateyou @Falxy-US or any of you other computer gurus, I have a question for you. I'm upgrading my old HTPC. I bought a brand new ASRock B560M Pro4/ac mobo, new good ram, new good intel cpu, and re-using the Nvidia 1060 and hard drive from the old HTPC. The old hard drive had Win10 64 bit installed.

Got everything all built out, fired up on first time, does not boot into windows. Instead it goes into the ASRock BIOS screen, where I can see my optical drive and hard drive just fine on the left, but over on boot devices it is EMPTY.

I checked forum and all it talks about is UEFI compatible windows install, and I dont know what that means. Is what I'm trying to do OK? I really don't want to pay for yet another copy of windows, nor do I want to install and lose all my very specialized HTPC setup that was tweaked perfectly.

EDIT - think I may have gotten it going, had to disable secure boot and then select legacy mode. Will be a small miracle if this works right.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
slippery slippery Hateyou Hateyou @Falxy-US or any of you other computer gurus, I have a question for you. I'm upgrading my old HTPC. I bought a brand new ASRock B560M Pro4/ac mobo, new good ram, new good intel cpu, and re-using the Nvidia 1060 and hard drive from the old HTPC. The old hard drive had Win10 64 bit installed.

Got everything all built out, fired up on first time, does not boot into windows. Instead it goes into the ASRock BIOS screen, where I can see my optical drive and hard drive just fine on the left, but over on boot devices it is EMPTY.

I checked forum and all it talks about is UEFI compatible windows install, and I dont know what that means. Is what I'm trying to do OK? I really don't want to pay for yet another copy of windows, nor do I want to install and lose all my very specialized HTPC setup that was tweaked perfectly.

EDIT - think I may have gotten it going, had to disable secure boot and then select legacy mode. Will be a small miracle if this works right.
Maybe remove the drives except for the one you’re booting from. It tries to boot in order, but I think it would have tried that one at some point because it goes through them if the first isn’t bootable.

I haven’t tried to do what you’re doing as far as reuse the boot drive so I’m not sure if there’s something you need to do in the bios or what. If you do have to buy a new w10 key they’re only like $6 on eBay.

Lanx Lanx Xexx Xexx Mist Mist and some other guys are better at this stuff than I am. I just troubleshoot well when I run into a problem, not really an expert at specifics until I have to deal with them. You may want to post this in the desktop thread or the pc issues thread instead of this one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

when you mean old, how old? like it's a real hard drive, not even ssd?

a ghetto blue wd nvme 500g is like 50bucks, for a few bucks more you can have a 1tb nvme w/ cache

also do you really need that optical drive buggering up your boot process?

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Definitely remove all drives but the boot drive to start. Are you reusing the boot drive from the old PC without formatting and doing a fresh install of Windows? If so, that is almost certainly your problem.

I would backup any needed info on the boot drive and do a fresh install. If you don't have install media, grab the media creation tool here and make a usb stick with windows install media.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

It's secure boot. You can disable secure boot to boot, but what you should actually do is completely reinstall Windows 10 on a GPT formatted drive that supports secure boot going forward. Don't try to re-use your old Windows install.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
yes to everything you all just asked and said! Yeah I know it is not a recommended approach but I did get it working just fine by disabling secure boot and now its back up and running on the new hardware. It is an SSD but it is an OLD one, I suppose I should upgrade that, I just hate having to reconfigure everything for the HTPC, I have a lot of custom stuff setup from years ago when I built it.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This seems more fitting for this thread than the Desktop thread.

Xexx Xexx I found a case for you (spoiler, the case costs $1400)

• 1Mother of God

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This seems more fitting for this thread than the Desktop thread.

Xexx Xexx I found a case for you (spoiler, the case costs $1400)

Hey i have changed my ways and trying to shrink down some - my new build will be completed this weekend :D