Buying a car?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Is it just me, or are oil changes these days massively overblown? When was the last time you heard of someone's engine seizing? The vast majority of problems people experience with their cars in the first 100,000-150,000 miles have absolutely nothing to do with engine lubrication. It's shit like fuel pumps, transmissions, suspension/front end, exhaust, electronics, starters, alternators and so on. I'm not saying that you don't need to bother changing your oil, but I think it's fairly amusing when people trumpet changing your oil every 5,000 miles as the be-all, end-all of car maintenance and longevity.

Sure if you plan on driving your car past 150,000 miles then it becomes more of a concern, but very, very few people do that.
Even then, modern synthetic oil is ludicrously good... cars just aren't shitting bearings or rods due to oiling anymore, at least outside of race tracks. They just aren't.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Sigh, AC just went out in my 2007 Kia Sportage. Around 110k miles on it, taken pretty good care of it over the years (5-7k oil changes, air filters, transmission fluid flush, replaced tires at 50k, replaced front and rear brakes). It's getting close to colder season in Texas, so just considering sticking with it until Spring and trade in.

Not sure exactly what's wrong; whole compressor shot or just a temperature gauge in front dashboard? It stopped working intermittently a few months ago with weird behavior. Would blow really cool air for 30-45 minutes, then would only blow outside air once the cabin had cooled and I turned down the blower speed. Had the refrigerant discharged and recharged, checked all the lines for leaks. Really hard to replicate when I would take it up to mechanic, as it needed to be running for 30+ minutes in order to show signs of what was wrong. NTB eventually said my compressor was going out and wanted $1400 to fix it, but I thought it was bullshit and they were just grasping at straws because they couldn't diagnose it. Now the whole thing is out as soon as I turn the car on, and it's still 80 degrees in Texas :\

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife's compressor went out on her 2003 Corolla this past June and the shop we go to quoted us $700 for parts and labor.

She was 120k miles on it too. We opted to trade in and get a new car and good thing because we only got $2k for it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Really depends on what is "shot" with the compressor, but you could run into an issue where eventually the pulley seizes causing the whole belt to snap rendering your car useless. Generally the price on compressor replacements is high because they want to replace the whole AC system because a blown compressor can shoot metal shards through all the AC workings. When my compressor went on my '94 Explorer it was going to cost more money to replace the compressor/AC system than the car was worth. I could have risked hitting a pull-apart and getting a different compressor to put in there, but if there were metal shards floating around the system it wouldn't have mattered. I just bought a shorter belt, routed it around the AC compressor (so the belt wasn't on the AC pulley anymore) and called it good. I live in WA where I only need AC like 2 weeks out of the year however.

It could just need to be charged up with refrigerant and the mechanic you took it too wants to take you for a ride, but tough to diagnose over the intrawebs.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You traded in a corolla that only had 120k miles on it and only got $2k for it? What else was wrong with it? Was it in a ton of accidents? You probably could have driven it for another 100k or sold it for more than $2k.

Looks like the BMW 2 series is real:

World Premiere: BMW M235i and 228i Coupe [Official Thread]

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. ? October 24, 2013. . . BMW today announced the introduction of an entirely new model series with the introduction of the all-new BMW 2 Series Coupe. This new take on The Ultimate Driving MachineTM will arrive in the US in the first quarter of 2014 as the 228i and the M235i. The BMW M235i, the first M Performance Automobile offered in the US, includes an impressive list of performance enhancing features. This successor to the successful 1 Series Coupe will continue the decades-long tradition of premium sub-compact coupes with impeccable driving dynamics when it makes its world debut at the North American International Auto Show in January 2014. The 2014 BMW 2 Series Coupe will be offered at a Manufacturer?s Suggested Retail Price of $33,025 for the 228i and $44,025 for the M235i, including $925 destination and handling.

The BMW 2 Series Coupe
? BMW celebrates the premiere of another new model series ? The BMW 2 Series Coupe which raises the bar in the premium sub-compact segment in terms of dynamic ability, aesthetic appeal and emotional allure; a distinctive vehicle concept unique in its segment, with a two-door body in classic three-box design typical of BMW Coupes, four seats, rear-wheel drive and a pair of engines and chassis set-up focused squarely on sporting ability; market launch from March 2014, line-up to include a BMW M Performance Automobile ? the BMW M235i Coupe.
The M235i looks cool.. the now classic twin turbo inline six with 332hp at 3300lbs. in a RWD car with a limited slip differential option.... fucking awesome. The pricetag of $44k though... not so awesome

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You traded in a corolla that only had 120k miles on it and only got $2k for it? What else was wrong with it? Was it in a ton of accidents? You probably could have driven it for another 100k or sold it for more than $2k.
Cracked windshield, rust, needed to be repainted, etc. My wife really drove it into the ground and didn't take very good care of it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any experience withe Mazada? CX-5 in particular?
When I was car shopping over the summer, I test drove a CX-5 and absolutely loved it. Handled great, and got outstanding gas mileage for an SUV. Unfortunately, it was actually a little bit smaller than my current Escape, especially in the back seat, and we were wanting something a little larger. I'm not overly tall, only about 6', and leg room was a severe issue in the backseat of the CX-5. I really liked the CX-5 but it was too small, and I really like the CX-9 but it was too big(we didn't want a 3rd row of seats), it sucks that Mazda stopped producing the CX-7, we probably would have bought one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just seeing if anyone made any recent decisions for those that were looking. Just realized this week that because my car is too old for the car program I've got about $4,000 of extra tax liability this year. Coupled with the fact that it still needs $3k - $4k worth of repair to the back end I'm even more convinced to go ahead and trade it in as is and get something new. Deciding between practical (still thinking the Ford Fusion Hybrid out of the Hybrid mid size sedan category ~$25k range) and just being irresponsible and going M4, C63 AMG, or something along those lines. I hate growing up.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah man, it must be tough being in the position where you have to decide between an M4 or C63 AMG