Buying a car?

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Lotuses (Lotii?) are very cool, but I don't think I'd fit in them, and I've never seen one for less than $25-30k. For reference, I dated a girl a while back that had a Miata, fun car, but I barely fit in it. My eye level was just about even with the top of the windshield, so I'd have to duck down to have an unobstructed view of traffic lights. I'm sure I looked a little ridiculous getting in and out of it as well, heh.

@ Wombat, M3's are not turbo'd unless it's aftermarket. Do you speak about Porsche unreliability from experience or from an "everybody knows" perspective. Z4 coupes are pretty nice, but rarer than hen's teeth, hardly ever even see them for sale. Newer Z4's with the folding tops are out of my range. Not to mention you face similar maintenance issues to M3's from what I've read.

S2k is the logical choice, if only they came as a hardtop. Why Honda didn't make a hardtop version is beyond me. It's just that something keeps drawing me back towards the 911, that flat six sound, the Porsche mystique.... pretty sure there might be something wrong with me
frown.png

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
As an s2000 owner I highly recommend one. No mechanical issues and it is worth more than I paid for it 18 mos ago.

If I could find a lotus in my area that I was interested in I would scoop that bitch up so fast. Le sigh.

Grim_sl

shitlord
BMW's achilles heel seems to be their rod bearings. (At least in their M designated cars) I've heard s2k's have this issue as well (another car I would seriously consider) but in engines with 8k+ redlines it's to be expected.

E46 M3's have 2 major flaws. 1-their subframe is shit and if you're a clutch dumper you're goin to tear something. Many weld/epoxy plates to reinforce the area. $1,500 2-their variable cam timing (vanos) has a hub gear that is known to sheer a tab dangerously close to the timing chain. There are aftermarket parts that permanently address this. $700

Beyond these, the car is pretty solid. Mechanical steering ftw. It does require some maintenance that can be cheap if you're a DIY kinda guy. The community and vendor support on the platform is second to none IMO.

As a previous E46 M3 owner for 8 years, I'm admittedly a bit biased, but the M3 as a daily driver is the fucking win. Few cars handle and drive as well as that car while also being able to seat 5 and move a lot of shit with the folding seats

Grim covered the issues quite well and yes, if you are DIYer, the maintenance isn't bad. Only con of course is that the newest E46 M3 you can get is already 7 years old

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
The midlife crisis car I'm hoping to purchase next year.

rrr_img_49378.jpg

Dodge 2014 Challenger with retro shaker hood.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
spend the time to find an actual old one. that way when the appeal falls off, you can sell it and get your money back. big american cars are cool, but losing 20-30k for cool sucks

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats like the only Chrysler I would consider buying. Dude at work has an all black/black with black rims and the thing is badass. An old one all restored would cost some serious bucks. Fuck the haters, American muscle is good.

How do you consider losing 30K? Unless you wreck the thing or some shit. You dont buy cars for investment. You buy them for transport of some pleasure, but never an investment. IMO I would go for one of those, a Camaro or even a Mustang before buying some gay ass BMW or some other overpriced foreign California yuppy, gay ass car. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

A dealership by my work has a Calloway Camaro, supercharged , 580bhp, for only $95K
biggrin.png

Callaway Camaro SC562/SC582 | Callaway Cars - Powerfully Engineered Automobiles

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
I never understood the point of paying $100k for a car with the interior of a $25k car. 580 hp is great except you can't use them on the roads, you can't track that big heavy bitch and be competitive, and trying to use it in a drag race will get destroyed by a car set up for drag racing. So what the fuck is the point? If you just want a monster car, get a GTR. If you want a sleeper, a camaro isn't the way to do it. I just don't see the appeal. Horrible ergonomics, bad visibility and so-so driving characteristic. Wheeeee!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No shit. There are about a billion other cars I would buy at the $95k pricepoint! Last on the list would be that piece of shit.

GTR, 911, M5, etc.. the list goes on.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
heh, just agreed to buy a new truck from a leasing company, and it shows me how fucked up the car dealership industry really is. I've often heard of people bragging about buying a car for "invoice", or doing cartwheels because they bought slightly under it. We were approached by this leasing company last year when we were buying a new Ford cube van, and no traditional dealership could even get within 10% of their pricing, because apparently they are whores and take a bunch of discounts and rebates available to them as ostensibly a leasing company and just pass it along to the customer (they don't have a traditional lot/dealership). For this new service van, the prices work out like this:

MSRP: $37,860

Invoice: $33,896

Final Price: $25,571

Because these guys don't incur the costs of running a traditional dealership and this "sale" took the salesman all of five minutes time, they can sell ridiculously cheap compared to dealerships. The entire dealership industry is such a giant scam, it's really unfortunate that it's become entrenched the way it has. There's no reason why the average person shouldn't be able to just buy a car online like they can anything else, and completely eliminate the dealership from the equation. That's basically what I did, I just printed out the GM configurator, emailed it to the salesman, and an hour later had the above quote.

The only catch with the above pricing is that we have to "rent" the truck for 6 months from them before we buy it out, otherwise GM will get all snippy with them. But they just apply the rent paid to the cost of the vehicle, so if anything it lets us defer about a third of the cost for 6 months. Wee.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
heh, just agreed to buy a new truck from a leasing company, and it shows me how fucked up the car dealership industry really is. I've often heard of people bragging about buying a car for "invoice", or doing cartwheels because they bought slightly under it. We were approached by this leasing company last year when we were buying a new Ford cube van, and no traditional dealership could even get within 10% of their pricing, because apparently they are whores and take a bunch of discounts and rebates available to them as ostensibly a leasing company (they don't have a traditional lot/dealership). For this new service van, the prices work out like this:

MSRP: $37,860

Invoice: $33,896

Final Price: $25,571

Because these guys don't incur the costs of running a traditional dealership and this "sale" took the salesman all of five minutes time, they can sell ridiculously cheap compared to dealerships. The entire dealership industry is such a giant scam, it's really unfortunate that it's become entrenched the way it has. There's no reason why the average person shouldn't be able to just buy a car online like they can anything else, and completely eliminate the dealership from the equation.
Don't know how it is in Canada but in the US there are actually laws on the books in many states protecting the dealerships and making it more or less illegal for manufacturers to sell directly. Its a scam for sure.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm sure it's the same here. And you know what? 20 years ago, let alone 70 years ago, that probably made good sense. It really doesn't today.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I'm sure it's the same here. And you know what? 20 years ago, let alone 70 years ago, that probably made good sense. It really doesn't today.
It makes zero sense today. I don't know if you've been following the whole Tesla drama over direct sales, but the car dealerships have some pretty powerful lobbies and they are trying to fuck guys like Tesla Motors, because they are undermining their shitty dealership infrastructure.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It makes zero sense today. I don't know if you've been following the whole Tesla drama over direct sales, but the car dealerships have some pretty powerful lobbies and they are trying to fuck guys like Tesla Motors, because they are undermining their shitty dealership infrastructure.
Yeah, Tesla currently can't even sell vehicles in Texas and a few other states because of how stringent the laws are. Shits ridiculous.

Siliconemelons

Invoice pricing and all that crap is well...crap.

When I got my van no one would give me any more than 6-7k off MSRP (3kish below invoice) - dealer about 1.5 hours away had on their site 9k off, told local dealer and they told me they could not and would not match it because they are lieing - I got it for about 11k off MSRP by the time we ended- my local dealer called me a week or two later as a follow up, now offering 7k off and I was like "I bought one" - "Really how much... no, what? they are going to get in trouble from nissan!" sure dude- whatever. Cars are stupid prices they need to fix that...or consumers need to stop accepting it... like Toyota and their no negotiation of prices, MSRP is how it is..blah

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I suck at linking pictures. Yahoo(Advertisements) has pictures of the 2015 Mustang. Do not like the "New" European look. The main reason they will sell it is due to finally putting an independent rear suspension on it. They honestly could have done it with the current style but I guess they had to have added appeal just in case the new style did not work. I prefer my 2013 design over the new design, though having an IRS would certainly have been real nice.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I like the look a lot better than the previous model. Granted, I'm not a real fan of the Mustang body in general, though.