Career Change

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This is true, we have the same problems they just come from the "holler." Parents are drugged out and dont give a shit, kids dont give a shit and want to fight everyone. It's like Lean on Me but with white people.
Have you tried to reach these kids?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
How is being a High School teacher one of the best jobs in the world lol? I dated a HS English teacher for a while and she was miserable. Overworked, underpaid, and in this day and age you have no authority over kids and parents hassle you incessantly.

Do what the teacher I dated did after she had enough-- move from teaching teenagers at school to teaching adults on the job-- become a corporate trainer.
because he gets to make a difference in the lives of these kids and put in about half of the working hours on the annual as the average worker and still get a decent salary. i will say this - if you don't have the type of personality that you effectively manage a classroom of kids/teenagers, then you probably shouldn't be a teacher, and you probably should have realized that before you got into teaching. i get the feeling in his case it's more of a personality thing than anything else.

if i could do it all over again, it would be high school English teacher and coach hockey during the school year then straight back to the beach to lifeguard for the summer. if only, if only...

Tinycoffin

Trakanon Raider
Can confirm teaching is probably one of the shittiest jobs out there. My wife teaches 8th grade science yes you get the summers off but... You make complete shit money no matter how good or bad you are at the job. School year you basically work 7 days a week to complete all grading if your actually trying to teach your kids a subject, staying after hours to to help keeps and tutor leads to 10 to 12 hour days every week, every kid is a little delicate snowflake and their parents will remind you of this everyday. It's never the kids fault they didn't do there work. You actually don't teach a subject but teach to a test standard - thanks common core.

She would quit in a heartbeat if she could but it's seems very hard to translate here experience to a corporate job - does have a Bio/Chem degree form U. Michigan though which has to be worth something.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Can confirm teaching is probably one of the shittiest jobs out there. My wife teaches 8th grade science yes you get the summers off but... You make complete shit money no matter how good or bad you are at the job. School year you basically work 7 days a week to complete all grading if your actually trying to teach your kids a subject, staying after hours to to help keeps and tutor leads to 10 to 12 hour days every week, every kid is a little delicate snowflake and their parents will remind you of this everyday. It's never the kids fault they didn't do there work. You actually don't teach a subject but teach to a test standard - thanks common core.

She would quit in a heartbeat if she could but it's seems very hard to translate here experience to a corporate job - does have a Bio/Chem degree form U. Michigan though which has to be worth something.
tl,dr; your wife sucks at her job

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tinycoffin

Trakanon Raider
tl,dr; your wife sucks at her job

Actually no she has the highest science test scores in her district and actually developed a complete co science out reach program with Cal. Tech and her school in her free time. Guessing you're a parent of one of those little snowflakes she melts on a weekly basis, but then she spends all her time tutoring them after hours because she's dedicated - see how that works

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Actually no she has the highest science test scores in her district and actually developed a complete co science out reach program with Cal. Tech and her school in her free time. Guessing you're a parent of one of those little snowflakes she melts on a weekly basis, but then she spends all her time tutoring them after hours because she's dedicated - see how that works
Dedicated...complains about working over 40hrs/wk.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Oh god writing fucking tests and grading children, very rough

I think y'all are confusing "difficult" with "shitty". Biochemistry is hard. Calculus is hard. Scrubbing toilets or having to deal with a class filled with 30+ teenage Tanoombas is just shitty and spirit draining. Think of it this way, if you could make the same salary you do now teaching Tanoombas or being a janitor, would you do it? I know that despite the fact that though it may be less stress or anxiety, the sheer shittiness of those jobs would still make me favor the 50-60 hour work and after-hour responsibilities I have now. Having to supervise 30+ fucking snowflakes whom I have no authority over because school discipline went out with the last generation? Fuck that; I can't think of anything more disempowering or exhausting. Teaching isn't shit because it's "difficult", it's shit because it's a thankless job that pays shit and saps your soul.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It seems like a difficult job to do well, that may just be because I've never been trained as a teacher but it does seem that way. Ensuring that each individual understands the concepts, encouraging students and providing appropriate guidance, keeping up to date on trends, motivating students, etc. Probably a lot like managing any large team, but with additional factors thrown in. Yeah, I am sure any asshole can come in and do the bare minimum while fantasizing about finger banging the cheerleaders or whatever. The same can be said of a lot of jobs.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If every other teacher was shitty id probably be a shitty one too just to fit in

I think in MA we have to get a masters of education after a couple years of teaching though

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Ensuring that each individual understands the concepts, encouraging students and providing appropriate guidance, keeping up to date on trends, motivating students, etc.

Since when has any teacher done any of those things though?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Since when has any teacher done any of those things though?
cartman.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My old roommate became a teacher at the highschool in one of the worst cities in the state (Brockton, MA). He started at like 60k and he said the teachers with tenure made 90k+

Is it not like that elsewhere?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
In VA it's starting at 35-40k and goes up to 60ishk, at least from the teachers in this area, DC exurbs. I assume, and hope, it's more in places like Arlington and Alexandria.

VA does have a program that pays for student loans for X years of employment guaranteed, though. So there's that.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The money isn't even the issue with teaching, though. I think the bulk of counties in the U.S. probably start like 40 - 50k, which is a perfectly livable starting salary. The issue is that for the insane amount of bullshit you have to deal with, that amount of money isn't worth it. You could get a standard office job as a cog in a company machine for the same amount of money and deal with 95% less bullshit on a daily basis.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The rarest teaching talent is actually having the people skills to deal with 180 students and their +2 parentals. Who may or may not be as douchey as their child. Not becoming jaded and still have the patience of a Saint, any teacher who has a visibly bad day will get destroyed by difficult students/districts. I think almost every adult would have more respect for teachers as a whole by spending very little time trying to lead a classroom.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The money isn't even the issue with teaching, though. I think the bulk of counties in the U.S. probably start like 40 - 50k, which is a perfectly livable starting salary. The issue is that for the insane amount of bullshit you have to deal with, that amount of money isn't worth it. You could get a standard office job as a cog in a company machine for the same amount of money and deal with 95% less bullshit on a daily basis.
Money isn't the issue

Don't get paid enough

Does not compute

McCheese

Money isn't the issue

Don't get paid enough

Does not compute

You know what I mean. It's not an unlivable salary. It's not like teachers are scrimping and scrounging to get by in most areas. Their salary is generally on par with the amount of hours they work on paper. However, the mentally and emotionally exhausting nature of the job is the issue.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You deal with bullshit at every job. Everyone thinks their job is some special snowflake but it isn't.

And yeah if you work at a yuppie suburb you can make really good money. Since salaries are public record some of the teachers that taught at my high school (extremely upper class area) are making over 90k and a couple over 100k. And you still get the summer off. And crazy good benefits that destroy anything you'd get in the public sector. Seems like a sweet deal.

• 1Like

McCheese

You deal with bullshit at every job. Everyone thinks their job is some special snowflake but it isn't.

That's a really silly thing to say. Yes, every job has bullshit, but some jobs have way more bullshit to deal with way more often than others.