CFB 2013-2014

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Think Orgeron should get a shot. They've played good ball since they got rid of Kiffin

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Love the Sark hire at USC (UCLA guy here). But man, what is Pat Haden thinking? USC football is not gonna be a power house again anytime soon.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
As a die hard Husky I am thrilled. I hope USC enjoys great skill position guys with terrible O & D Lines. Our guys give up hits on our QB like he is candy and it is Halloween and our D Line plays like they think a Sack is a bad word. Seriously I am so fucking HAPPY!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
As a die hard Husky I am thrilled. I hope USC enjoys great skill position guys with terrible O & D Lines. Our guys give up hits on our QB like he is candy and it is Halloween and our D Line plays like they think a Sack is a bad word. Seriously I am so fucking HAPPY!
It won't be hard for him to get quality lineman to USC at all. O-line and D-line are probably the 2 hardest positions to get elite recruits, WRs and RBs that run a 4.4 40 are a dime a dozen nowadays, but truly elite lineman are highly sought after. Washington just wasn't back to the point of being able to win battles for those guys consistently with Oregon and Stanford competing for the same guys on the Northern West Coast, but USC will be able to get basically whoever they want.

Anytime a program is being rebuilt from bad shape (Sark at Washington, Leach at Wash St and previous TTech, Harbaugh at Stanford, Pinkel at Mizzou, etc) it's always fairly easy to get a couple great skill guys and maybe a solid QB to get you back on the winning side of things with bowl games, but to truly take that next step to challenge for conference titles and national titles it takes those lineman and that always takes a little longer to develop a system that draws those guys in. That was Missouri's weakness in Pinkels first half decade or so, we just got man-handled on the lines by the likes of Oklahoma and Texas, even though we had some good skill position players. It wasn't until the last 5 or so years that he's finally attracting quality line talent(although some would argue that we still don't have it on the O-line, only the D-line, there's definitely room for improvement) Why does the SEC dominate so much over the last decade? Look at the lineman coming out of those states. Athletic 6-foot-5, 320-pounders grow on trees in the South.

tl;dr I think Sarkisian will do well at USC. Will he be playing in back-to-back national titles anytime soon? Probably not, but they'll be damn good again within the next year or two, challenging for the Pac 12 title. While Washington *could* make another good hire and not miss a beat, anyone who is actually happy to see Sarkisian go is crazy. The odds of making a worse hire are a lot better than finding an upgrade. his consistent 7-6 is nothing to write home about(8-4 this year), but keep in mind that Washington hadn't won 7 games in any of the previous 8 seasons before he got there. They were really, really bad.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Haha, I take for granted growing up listening to Finebaum and forget that he hasn't been nationally syndicated or on ESPN for that long. Some of his people have been calling in for 20+ years and are complete caricatures, on both sides. But the Alabama ones are generally more hilarious I find. Harvey Updyke called Paul first, I mean sheesh.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
You don't need Blue Chip Linemen, you need Blue Collar work ethic. You need an attitude that a hit on your QB is like someone raping your mom, are you gonna let someone rape your mom?

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Oblio is basically just admitting he's a retard with these statements.

Not a big fan of the Sark hire, he has made Washington better but not amazingly so. The alumni expect USC to always run a pro-style offense which I think is a hinderance as you see the Pros now using spread and hurry up schemes to pretty good effect. I know Sark was merging his USC offense with that spread/hurry up at UW but it didn't seem amazingly succesful. I get that aside from Saban there really isn't any wow type factor coach out there when the hot names are Petersen and Franklin but this just seems like the easy way out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You don't need Blue Chip Linemen, you need Blue Collar work ethic. You need an attitude that a hit on your QB is like someone raping your mom, are you gonna let someone rape your mom?
But if you aren't getting blue-chip lineman, it takes 3,4,5 years to develop high-level lineman through your strength and conditioning program. Some 2-star lineman isn't going to step on the field as a Freshman in a winning program, it's going to take years to develop him. That's where the skill position guys have an advantage, a lot of them can step on the field immediately and make a difference, even if they arent the top 1% of recruits, but lineman are a totally different story. That's why you really can't judge a coach for a good 4-5 years in my opinion, you need to see how his strength program is going to develop guys by the time they are Juniors or Seniors. This was Sarks 5th year, and he started with ZERO talent at Washington, and they just had their best record in a decade.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Sark isn't a bad hire, but you expect more from USC. I'd be ho-hum about that hire at Okie fucking State, a school with no history and no pull outside of Oklahoma/N Texas. Maybe he turns out to be Pete 2.0, but its very vanilla.

Texas, you're up!

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Which statement is that Brando? I am curious how much you know about college football and especially the UDUB and it's history. How much do you know about playing Oline or Dline?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sark isn't a bad hire, but you expect more from USC. I'd be ho-hum about that hire at Okie fucking State, a school with no history and no pull outside of Oklahoma/N Texas. Maybe he turns out to be Pete 2.0, but its very vanilla.

Texas, you're up!
Saban is currently in Austin.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Has OSU played a ranked team this year? or even last for that matter

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Which statement is that Brando? I am curious how much you know about college football and especially the UDUB and it's history. How much do you know about playing Oline or Dline?
Oline, Dline, Jake Locker, there are so many to choose from.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Orgeron needs to go to Washington and kick USC's ass for decades.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Orgeron isn't a good head coach, he was hilariously bad at Ole Miss and against our two biggest rivals we were horrible. If Stanford's QB could actually complete a forward pass with any regularity they would probably be undefeated so beating them wasn't a huge shocker.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well Brando I love how you decide to come in and call names and be vague, pretty typical for the internet. When you want to have an adult conversation about College Football I will be happy to engage in one with you.