Lets post some recipes!
  • Meat
  • Marinade
  • Rub
  • Temp
  • Time
  • Some pics
  • etc...
I have had a horrible experience lately...I went to Costco and was looking for a brisket the only problem is that my medium green egg will only hold a 12lb'er (smallest they had was 15lb's). I call my neighbor who also smokes to see if he wants to get it because he can fit larger cuts of meats on his smoker, he says no, but in a dick move he calls back and tells me to search for a local butcher. After about 30 min of searching there are no butchers within 20min of my location. I decide to go to New leaf (over priced California local grocery) to pick up a few racks of ribs. They come 3 to a pack and cost 60 dollars ( A lot I know), I ask the butcher to cut open the pack and give me two. I get home and start the egg, open the meat only to find out that they smell like the inside of a pigs asshole FUCK. I wrap them up and return them :( A few days later I go back to costco and look to see if they have any brisket... YES they has a 12lb'er, grab that shit and take it home. That night I call my neighbor over and we crack open a few beers and are ready to trim up the brisket, well what do you know we cut open the fucker and the meat smells sour. Second time I have been fucked by the meat gods, pretty much have given up at this point and the last thing i have cooked on the egg is some chicken wings. They turned out pretty amazing.

• Wings approx 2doz
  • Equal parts Susie Q seasoning and Oakridge BBQ habanaro death dust
  • 375 to 400 deg direct heat
  • 45min
  • Sauce Goddess black pepper sauce at the end
chicken wings.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Lets post some recipes!
  • Meat
  • Marinade
  • Rub
  • Temp
  • Time
  • Some pics
  • etc...
I have had a horrible experience lately...I went to Costco and was looking for a brisket the only problem is that my medium green egg will only hold a 12lb'er (smallest they had was 15lb's). I call my neighbor who also smokes to see if he wants to get it because he can fit larger cuts of meats on his smoker, he says no, but in a dick move he calls back and tells me to search for a local butcher. After about 30 min of searching there are no butchers within 20min of my location. I decide to go to New leaf (over priced California local grocery) to pick up a few racks of ribs. They come 3 to a pack and cost 60 dollars ( A lot I know), I ask the butcher to cut open the pack and give me two. I get home and start the egg, open the meat only to find out that they smell like the inside of a pigs asshole FUCK. I wrap them up and return them :( A few days later I go back to costco and look to see if they have any brisket... YES they has a 12lb'er, grab that shit and take it home. That night I call my neighbor over and we crack open a few beers and are ready to trim up the brisket, well what do you know we cut open the fucker and the meat smells sour. Second time I have been fucked by the meat gods, pretty much have given up at this point and the last thing i have cooked on the egg is some chicken wings. They turned out pretty amazing.

• Wings approx 2doz
  • Equal parts Susie Q seasoning and Oakridge BBQ habanaro death dust
  • 375 to 400 deg direct heat
  • 45min
  • Sauce Goddess black pepper sauce at the end
View attachment 108077
We want to get a smoker and have been talking about it a damn year+ now.
It had drifted out of conversation until this last week when I got 2 hams ( one city ham smoked spiral cut and the other "fresh" ), a large roast from a worker, a 20lb turkey from pops and in the office last month they brought in 2 freezers where owner had literally bought 2 cows and filled them with meat. Turns out that meat is for us(office) for Christmas. So now I have 120 lbs of meats and over 20 lbs of chicken( 3 birds ) and 15 or so lbs of salmon in my chest freezer and there is only 2 of us and the best we have is a large charboil infrared propane grill and a oven with a roasting pan.
The scary part is I wasn't expecting ANY of it. Apparently large chunks of meat is in for holiday gifts this year.
For now I roasted the ham tonight since it was already smoked/cooked with a maple glaze it came with, but I seriously need a better plan for all this food the next 6 months other than the roasting pan/oven bags.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can't go wrong with an egg and you can practically will that thing to your grandkids.

If only my Weber would die.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, you dont need a $2K grill in order to do what the egg does. My $300 komodo does everything just as well. Maybe it wont last 30 yrs, but do I really need it to? Even if it fails in 10, I can go buy a new one, probably better, for $300 more and still be ahead. Thats just my opinion. I have better shit I want to send my money on than a grill/smoker thats not really practical to use every day other than those rare occasions you want something smoked or baked or grilled at 800F in the summer.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Ribs. Takes 4 hrs on smoker

Day before
Prep ribs with rub of choice
Let marinate overnight

~5hrs prior to eating Heat/light grill/smoker to temp- what I do is line the charcoal in a nice thick C about 3-4 inches thick and high with the opening of the c at the front of the grill which is where I put the temp probe clip
Add several wood chunks you prefer-I use apple or cherry, get grill to 235 and smoke a nice whispy blue color
On rib rack, place ribs on grill, close smoker/grill..have a beer. Let 2hr pass melt a stick of butter, mix in a quarter cup honey, and a tblsp tiger sauce take each rack out, place bone side upon heavy duty foil , brush on butter mixture, spread on a coating of brown sugar, flip repeat meat side, then seal ribs in foil. Repeat all ribs, place back in smoker, cook another hour, have another beer.

While drinking that beer, dice 10 strips bacon, dice quarter onion, cook bacon until mostly done, drain most of the fat, add onion cook til tender,
Add half cup molasses,
1tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tblsp bourbon/whisky
1 tsp chili sauce
2 cups ketchup
1tsp tomato paste
Half cup dark brown sugar
3 cloves garlic minced

Mix well

bring to boil, then shut off

After that hr passes, remove ribs from foil, place bone side up, brush on sauce you made, close grill, 10 minutes later flip ribs, brush on sauce Close grill, 20 minutes later take off grill and eat.

To keep ribs warm, wrap in foil and put in a cooler that is just large enough to hold the ribs ribs will stay hot for several hrs.

Alternatively to making the bbq sauce get fave bbq sauce, pour in pan, add the juices-liquid from the foil packs, bring to boil mix well and use that for sauce

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I have a vision grill kamado from home Depot and it is awesome, for smoking I invested in a bbq guru and it just works, doing the C style for the coals, I can keep the grill at ~235 for about 9 hrs without needing to add more.

A weber smoker works great, but next summer I might invest in a nice purpose made box smoker

Loyanf

Golden Knight of the Realm
Amazingribs.com.awesome site for anything related to smokers and bbq.

I bought myself my first smoker this summer. Got a Traeger tailgater, which is a pellet smoker. I love it since it's pretty much set it and forget it.

As for ribs. There is no points really in seasoning them the night before since the rubs won't actually penetrate the meat. You should however apply salt 2 hours or so before applying rub and putting it on your smoker. Also don't let any meat come to room temperature before putting it on your smoker. Cold meat will retain more smoke flavor

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Amazingribs.com is good I have his book. And yeah, technically does nothing, but helps the prep the day of, Prep grill/smoker, unwrap ribs, put in gtill/smoker, no mess no fuss.

The recipe I gave and have used all summer, best ribs I have ever made, came from Cole Landry's book real deal pork ribs. My family and friends loved them.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
'Gerbil Wings'

Smoked and BBQ chicken wings on a standard Weber.

2 dozen wings.

Clean and dry the wings and lay them on a half sheet pan. Salt and pepper both sides.

Indirect heat. I use about half of a Weber charcoal chimney of regular Kingsford charcoal. Split the coals to two sides of the rack. Do not use a disposable aluminum pan to separate the coals, catch drippings, or to fill with water. I've tried it all and the best, imo, is to not even use a pan at all.

Soak two handfuls of Cherry wood chips, and two handfuls of Apple wood chips in some water for about 15 minutes, or while the coals heat up. You should mix the chips up together in the same bowl. Drain them in a colander before use.

Once the coals are ready and set to both sides of the grill, lay the wings out in the center of the grill but not over top of the coals.

I have one of those grill racks that can flip up on either side. Flip them up and add one handful of of wet chips to each side on top of the coals. Place the lid and let cook for 20 minutes. The ideal temp during all of this is about 300-325 degrees, but it is fairly forgiving. If in doubt, I'd say it's better to have a bit more heat than a bit less. In other words, 375 is better than 275.

After 20 minutes, flip the wings, add another handful of wet chips to each side onto the coals (that should be the last of the wood chips). Add the lid and let them cook for another 20 minutes.

Using your favorite BBQ sauce (Millie's Sweet and Spicy, Home) coat one side, flip and coat the other.

Cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Then coat only one side and don't flip. (I've found that this is a tiny detail that really helps. Coating both sides twice seems to make them a bit too sticky and soggy. But ymmv.)

Cover and cook another 5 minutes.

That's it. Take them off the grill and bask in the praise and adoration.

IZtqwVe.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I've tried sous viding pork shoulder and brisket then finishing off via indirect heat/smoke on my weber kettle, but didn't really achieve 'authentic' results. My boss has a big green egg and we did the pork and brisket over the same weekends to compare, it was no contest to the BGE...

I've just picked up a short plate rib from my local butcher - at least I think that's what it's called in the US. I am going to try and smoke it from start to finish without any sous vide.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
5fmabc9.jpg

so these were the bone in briskets I cooked on NYE.

The one on the left was sous-vided for 24 hours at 131f, chilled then smoked on my Weber kettle. The one on the right was entirely smoked. It was a last minute decision to buy a second to sous vide for experimentation purposes. Managed to hold the temp of the kettle at 250 and pulled when they reached 190, I did think the temp would keep rising but it didn't.

Although they're different colour there was no noticeable difference. The meat was very tough in places but I might have been slicing with the grain, it also might have been the parts that were closest to the coals.

I just bought a Kamado Joe classic which arrives on Tuesday so excited for that to arrive

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
NICE NICE.....

i bit the bullet and box an inexpensive cabinet/box smoker - masterbuilt 30" (amazing ribs gave it good reviews-silver medal) over the weekend-so ican use next week for the superbowl and tried it for smoked wings last night -"seasoned it saturday for an hr and - the electronic temp and the dial temp were within a few degrees of each other (dial was maybe 5degrees lower). pic below is about half the wings taken off after 3hrs in the smoker @235.

i5jwxBn.jpg

sunday doing wings, ribs and pulled pork for the superbowl- it all will fit into the smoker (might have to trim the ribs a few inches to fit) got 4 slabs of baby back ribs. going to buy the wings and pork butt later in the week

Last edited:

Atlantis

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone have any good pastrami recipes. I have been buying corned beef brisket from the store, but it is always so salty that I have to soak it for 24hrs changing the water when i remember.

Don't buy the one from whole foods...It has 55% salt, I soaked it for 24hrs+ and it was still almost too salty to eat. Safeway open nature has been a lot better (25% salt).

Here is the last one I cooked.
Rub:
4 tbl Pepper ( I think this was too much, the one I am cooking today has 2.5)
1 Tsp Coriander
1 Tsp Harissa seasoning
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Chili powder
1 Tsp Onion powder
1 Tsp Garlic powder
1 Tsp Ground mustard seeds

IMG_1651.JPG

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just done my first overnight smoke in my Kamado Joe - bought a "regular UK" Brisket from my local buthers - UK brisket found in regular stores is I think just slices of the flat, rolled and tied with string. I decided to buy the biggest one they had, uncut it and put on the KJ last night.

I've had my KJ for a few months and have found it quite hard to lock the temperature in. Last night I got the coals going, let it come upto temp and sit there for a while before putting the meat on. I still had to open the bottom vent to get it back upto smoking temp but it locked in at 239f which was good enough so I went to bed.

Only got 4 hours sleep, for some reason my thermometer went off with the internal meat temp at 186 when it was set to go off at 205. I crutched it in foil and it's resting, I'm going the gym for a bit, will post pics shortly!

Edit - turned out ok, better bark than my previous attempts - because I was sleeping then I crutched it a lot later than I normally would.

I don't understand why all my efforts have little smoke ring - I used a lot of chunks and also sprinkled some chips at the same time as the meat went on. The meat was uncovered for a good eight hours.

IMG_20170402_103117.jpg

Last edited:

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've got a propane smoker, and A Maverick ET-733 thermometer. I've had the most luck with pork butt (shoulder) smoked for 10-14 hrs. They key is using a wash, not straight barbeque sauce. They tend to be thinner and will not burn/char over time leaving a nasty outer layer. I've also found 225 to be too low, I generally aim for 235 to 245, its cuts cooking time and leaves a better bark layer on the exterior.

The only other recipe I've really nailed down is boneless skinless chicken thighs. I mix italian dressing some cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, salt, marinate them for 20 minutes, then on the smoker for usually just over an hour. I really like this recipe because of the speed. It's smoking but not notably longer then normal cooking times for a lot of meals.

I tried smoking a corned beef last year, and it was a waste, mildy different from boiling, and it took like 8 hrs. Not worth it in my opinion.

Atlantis

Trakanon Raider
I just made the best batch of ribs ever today...I used this recipe for timing and rub only: Championship Ribs
At the 1.5 hr mark when I wrapped the ribs in foil is where it deviated. I rubbed honey on the foil in roughly the shape of the rib (LxW), then rubbed a light amount of brown sugar and rub onto the honey and cooked for 1hr 10min.
Turned out pretty amazing

ribs.JPG

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
So many variations on cooking, I have stopped using foil wrap for ribs, ribs come out just as tender and with my bbq sauce works well.

3.5 hrs at 235 then sauce for 20 minutes flip sauce for 20 min, eat. Since I switched to no wrap, the smoke ring has gotten thicker.

https://goo.gl/photos/PJgToDDSrfoQvhx26