Chess

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Tilting is real even in chess. Im positive he was tilted after game 6
In the interviews he said he legitimately missed all the blunders, even g3 in the last game. Ian's head was just not right after game 6. He needs some time with a sports psychologist.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Ugh, cant stand levy, a new generation of soycuck chess commentators

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Candidates matches start today. Magnus says he probably wont play in the next Chess Champ unless 1 specific person makes it out of the candidates

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Uh what, is he gonna forfeit the match if he doesn't get who he wants. That's pretty weak.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Uh what, is he gonna forfeit the match if he doesn't get who he wants. That's pretty weak.

He has hinted he is going to retire if he doesn't get the one he wants to play. Will he? Who knows... if so he wouldn't be the first Chess Champ to walk away from it

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Oh god it's gonna be Nepo again isn't it. let's see if Magnus does what he said and wimps out.

Captain Suave

Magnus... wimps out
I can understand Magnus' position. He's fucking bored of playing 12-14 high-pressure classical games against a single opponent and he's played and beaten the likely winners already. All the fun is in the Candidates, where you get to prep for a pile of interesting people, and he hasn't been able to play there since 2013. He's got nothing left to prove and if he still wants to play chess he's going to have to keep it fresh for himself.

Personally, I'd find it kind of hilarious if he forfeits the WC and comes back next year and smokes the "champion" in all the tournaments where he walks in 50-100 points higher than everyone.

Last edited:

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
He still has a few years to go if he wants the title of longest reigning champion.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Oh god it's gonna be Nepo again isn't it. let's see if Magnus does what he said and wimps out.

Probably.. though.. after his win yesterday I can see Naka making a run at it in the 2nd half of the tourney

*edit* this aged... poorly

Last edited:

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I mean Naka is one of the top dogs for sure, but he just doesn't seem to have the oomph in classical, too focused on rapid chess.

Captain Suave

It'll be interesting to see if Maguns can drive some format change in the world championship by being the obviously best player but not participating in the title.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
What's his angle with this?

If he isn't enjoying it, it's an asshole move to not just show up without prep and gracefully pass on the title to someone else. Now they won't be seen as legitimate for a while.

If he wants to change the format, maybe this is fine, what does he want?

Captain Suave

What's his angle with this?

If he isn't enjoying it, it's an asshole move to not just show up without prep and gracefully pass on the title to someone else. Now they won't be seen as legitimate for a while.

I don't know if he has an angle. By all accounts he never thought the world title was an engaging process, even when he won it the first time. In 2011 he declined to enter the Candidates even though he was eligible. I honestly think it's just not fun for him and he's in a position where he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to.

As far as the title this year, I don't think throwing the match would be more respectful than vacating.

• 1Like