Chromecast - the new Google TV

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
ahh yes the classic excuse of "customer confusion". Nothing like saying Hey everyone we think you're fucking morons!

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, that does sound a bit like lawsuit territory. Intel and Microsoft both got jammed up with similar practices, no?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Got a firetv stick, sideloaded the intercom app I needed, the client is happy.

Now I need something similar for myself as in cheap mediaplayer with hdmi and spdif out. Has to support plex/xbmc and stuff up to 20gb / movie.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yea, that does sound a bit like lawsuit territory. Intel and Microsoft both got jammed up with similar practices, no?
It's not like you can't get them anywhere else though. I doubt this is lawsuit worthy, though I won't be surprised if someone tries.

I can only see this as a stupid move for Amazon. It won't increase sales of Fire TV/Stick, may cost them a little consumer goodwill, and will drive a little business to it's competitors.

Got a firetv stick, sideloaded the intercom app I needed, the client is happy.

Now I need something similar for myself as in cheap mediaplayer with hdmi and spdif out. Has to support plex/xbmc and stuff up to 20gb / movie.
Roku 4 should be able to handle that according to recent leaks. No idea as to the price, but it's believed that it's being released soon.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Got the new chromecast set up, this thing is working flawlessly. So much faster than using my ps3 or my fire tv stick. (even though the ps3 is wired, the OS is slow as shit)

Fire tv os isn't the greatest, haven't tried side loading it, but I definitely get some buffering on that playing netflix that I haven't seen on the new chromecast.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
I have an old Chromecast that I use occasionally. I use my phone to push shit from Netflix or Plex to my TV with it. My only problem is that my phone often loses connection with the thing. Whatever I'm playing doesn't stop, but if I ever need to pause something, it has to reconnect, and will sometimes lose its place while doing so.

Anyone have that issue? It happened with my OPO, and is happening with my Galaxy S6 as well. Both keep their WiFi on while sleeping.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I regularly use my Note 3 and Nexus 9 tablet to control my Chromecast, and never have an issue with them losing connection/control. Not unless I specifically close my plex app on the device.(it runs fine in the background while doing other stuff on my phone/tablet)

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I have an old Chromecast that I use occasionally. I use my phone to push shit from Netflix or Plex to my TV with it. My only problem is that my phone often loses connection with the thing. Whatever I'm playing doesn't stop, but if I ever need to pause something, it has to reconnect, and will sometimes lose its place while doing so.

Anyone have that issue? It happened with my OPO, and is happening with my Galaxy S6 as well. Both keep their WiFi on while sleeping.
Have had that problem for a while, but it really seems very random. Have also had issues recently with plex connectivity, but I'm having issues pinpointing whether it's my phone, the server, the plex app, my wireless, or the chromecast lol.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Can only seem to get stereo on Hulu on my Chromecast(2) and my google-fu is failing me on this. Netflix is working in DD+ just fine. Any ideas?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Can only seem to get stereo on Hulu on my Chromecast(2) and my google-fu is failing me on this. Netflix is working in DD+ just fine. Any ideas?
Hulu only streams in stereo sound, whether on Chromecast, the Hulu website via a web browser, or whatever. No clue why they don't upgrade their sound, but it's been 2-channel stereo only from Hulu for years now.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have an issue where Youtube playlists won't play continuously on chromecast. It'll play the first video then stop.

Anyone experience this?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Does it do that when using a different device to control the Chromecast? I have a feeling that is a control device issue, and not a Chromecast issue specifically

Pinch_sl

shitlord
Lately, my Chromecast has been awful for casting a video tab from my computer, and for casting Hulu.

The video tab cast had always been glitchy, but now it regularly freezes for 10-20 seconds while the video is still running smoothly on my computer, out the video cast freezes while the slobs is still running. In each case, the video continued running smoothly on my computer screen. Often, resetting the cast from my chrome tab will fix it, but sometimes my WiFi will shut off altogether for 30 seconds or so. Casting a chrome tab is the only time where i repeatedly see wifi failing in my house. Normal it's a solid 50 Mbps and almost never interrupts. Any ideas?

With Hulu, it will randomly just stop casting and display an error message. Usually I need to restart the Chromecast and Hulu app from my phone to get it to restart.